Trying to get started in real estate investing

Trying to get started in real estate investing

Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 2 votes

Hi, 

I want to get started in real estate investing, and figured that I would first need to learn as much as I can before my first attempt at purchasing a property. I've already started saving my own money as I feel that because I'm a student, I can't take on more debt by using other people's money. My goal for my first rental property is one that I can live in and rent out at the same time. I was wanting to know if there are any group meetings in the Toronto, Ontario area, or if there are any real estate investors in the area, that I can reach out to for advise in heading towards this direction. Anything helps!!

Thank you 

2Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Whitchurch Stouffville, Ontario · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 3 votes
10y

Hi Drazen, welcome to the community! There are a number of events in your area. I host meetups every month at Bayview Golf & Country Club (Leslie/Steeles). You can send me a direct message if you'd like to know about the March meetup. Also, there are 2 events in Toronto this week that are worth attending. One is focused on helping people invest in real estate with more confidence (Mach 3). The other one is a larger 2-day event March 5-6. Feel free to DM me and I can share the links.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    I'm in the North York region, so if there are any meetings in that area that would be great! 

  • Real Estate Investor · Whitchurch Stouffville, Ontario · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Hi Drazen, welcome to the community! There are a number of events in your area. I host meetups every month at Bayview Golf & Country Club (Leslie/Steeles). You can send me a direct message if you'd like to know about the March meetup. Also, there are 2 events in Toronto this week that are worth attending. One is focused on helping people invest in real estate with more confidence (Mach 3). The other one is a larger 2-day event March 5-6. Feel free to DM me and I can share the links.

  • Real Estate Agent · Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 408 posts · 90 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Rachel Oliver:

    Hi Drazen, welcome to the community! There are a number of events in your area. I host meetups every month at Bayview Golf & Country Club (Leslie/Steeles). You can send me a direct message if you'd like to know about the March meetup. Also, there are 2 events in Toronto this week that are worth attending. One is focused on helping people invest in real estate with more confidence (Mach 3). The other one is a larger 2-day event March 5-6. Feel free to DM me and I can share the links.

     Meetups are going to be your best way to learn from experienced investors in a no pressure situation!

    Watch out for anything on the forum or in seminars that's not specific to Canada, U.S strategies are not always repeatable in our markets.

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 345 posts · 138 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP Drazen!

    I hope the best on your journey! You are on the right track with wanting to learn as much as you can! Read, ask questions, build relationships, network in the area by researching local REIA's in the city, watch podcasts, webinars, and read the blogs. The information is endless and the learning can be overwhelming but the more the better!

    Use the keywords to help notice things happening in your area from BP.  

    Good luck!

    Cody

  • Investor · Coppell, TX · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 646 votes
    10y

    Hello and welcome to BP!  I was born and raised in Dallas Texas.  I am 59 years old and I found BP about 6 months ago and I am still trying to pick something to do.  Always remember that you need to know the market and the locations you choose.  Do not be tempted to make an offer outside of your area.  If you are going to use loan financing get a pre-approval letter from someone and include it with your offers.  I got a college degree in business.   That same year that l graduated, in 1980, I got a broker license.  I did a few deals for others.  Be in a diverse economy and have a growing population.  The closer to a main town can usually be better.  regardless of what I had I felt more comfortable in the construction business.  I have been in the construction industry since I was 17.  My father has been in real estate for about 40 years and I have learned a little bit from him.  If you think I could help you please contact me on BP at any time.  Good luck!

  • Real Estate Investor · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Hi Drazen, I just want to throw this out there, although you may know this already --- investing in a duplex (where the other tenant pays for your unit too, including the property taxes, mortgage, etc.) may help.  You can listen to the podcast, Google local events/organizations to network, and/or check out the Education option here on BP for more ways on using OPM to help you out. I was a student too and rented while working a job, so I know how you feel. Stay strong, and I will be praying for your success.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.