Investor · Lexington, KY · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 1 vote
Hello Guys,
My name is Carlos and I just started to learn about real state investing. I would like to buy and hold properties for rent in the Lexington, KY and surrounding areas . I am still on the learning phase of the process and doing a lot of research to make sure my first purchase is a good one. Ideas are welcome!
I started doing research after reading "Rich Dad Poor Dad". I have learned a lot from my next door neighbor who flip houses on the side and have had a lot of success. But like i said I just want to buy and hold rental properties not flip them. My ideas is to find them at a real good price, fix them up and post them for rent. I would like to have 20% equity right of the bat that if possible. I have started looking into foreclosures and auctions since it seems the only way to find properties at a discount like that.
I just wanted to introduce myself to the BiggerPocket community.
Real Estate Agent · Lexington, KY · Member since 2015 · 71 posts · 32 votes
10y
@Carlos Armenteros, Welcome to the Lexington KY BP community! Glad to have you! I am an investor agent and would love to point you towards some investment opportunities in the area. I am committed to real estate full time and I am always analysing deals and love connecting people to great investment opportunities. Feel free to reach out with any questions!
Real Estate Agent · Lexington, KY · Member since 2015 · 71 posts · 32 votes
10y
@Carlos Armenteros, Welcome to the Lexington KY BP community! Glad to have you! I am an investor agent and would love to point you towards some investment opportunities in the area. I am committed to real estate full time and I am always analysing deals and love connecting people to great investment opportunities. Feel free to reach out with any questions!
Investor · Lexington, KY · Member since 2015 · 139 posts · 100 votes
10y
Welcome Carlos,
I wouldn't discount flipping right off the bat. Have you thought about partnering with you neighbor to flip a house then using that money as a down payment on your first property...you would learn a lot from the rehab process that would also help you evaluate properties in the future, especially foreclosures that need work.
You have to spend some good $ to "house hack" in lexington as there isnt too many areas with nice duplexes you might be willing to live in, there are of course other ways, renting rooms etc..... If you can flip and then buy one of these nicer duplexes on cheap terms that will be a very nice asset for you don the road.
GL, don't be a stranger on the forums, Lexington has a good group of investors always willing to help.
Investor · Lexington, KY · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 1 vote
10y
Thank you guys for welcoming to the group. Brandon Stevens thanks for the idea of maybe starting with a flip. Dont worry I will not be stranger as I am eager to learn. Thanks a lot!
Real Estate Agent · Bowling Green KY ~ Lexington, KY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
10y
@Carlos Armenteros welcome to BP and the REI community. I agree with @Brandon Stevens that it seems you already have a nice resource right next door. Buy and holds in Lexington with 20% equity built in will be tough (unless you put in that much money in the down payment). Buy and hold is a great way to build long term wealth and it seems you are starting with the right mindset. That is what I personally do! Carlos, you have a long road ahead but just remember to take action and not just spend the rest of your time in the learning stage. You will get most of your REI education in the real world application. Check out the local REIA group (next meeting March 22nd).
Rental Property Investor · Georgetown, KY · Member since 2014 · 78 posts · 55 votes
10y
Lexington Wealth Builders has been 'mothballed' for lack of a better term. A few of the legacy members got together to start a new group; it's the one @James Wilcox and I posted about and is named Bluegrass Real Estate Investors. It may not show up as it is a closed Facebook group. I sent you a colleague request.