Hello Friends! Philadelphia newbie investor here

Hello Friends! Philadelphia newbie investor here

West Chester, PA · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 3 votes
I am a new investor just starting out. I need all the help advice and mentors I can get.
1Reply
52 views

Most Popular Reply

Joseph ScoreseBusiness Member
Banker · Philadelphia · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 633 votes
10y

Hi @,

The three N's - Network, Network & more networking is a great start. Education and Opportunity will follow. Your NETWORK IS YOUR NET WORTH. Plenty of great associations in the Philadelphia Market to attend and grow your knowledge.

Let me know if I can assist.

Regards,

Joe Scorese

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 1 vote
    10y
    Welcome to the newbie team!
  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 142 posts · 26 votes
    10y

    Welcome aboard! A good place to start is to read the Ultimate Beginners Guide to Real Estate Investing. It's not long, and has some good info. Listen to the podcasts and attend the weekly webinars.

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Daniel Dubeck

    Welcome. Fill in the foundation below.

    Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

    Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

    Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having over 100 past ones to catch up on.

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers). Find them through Google and meetup.com

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

    Good Luck

    Paul 

  • Investor · Coppell, TX · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 646 votes
    10y

     Hello and welcome to BP!  Educate yourself as much as possible before you start.  Mistakes are normal whoever you start.  Fear itself is pretty normal.  Hire an experienced and trustworthy Team.  Hire an experienced and a good Insector because he might tell you about something you missed.  Always do the numbers and make sure those that are given to you are real.  Let the seller know why you are offering a lower price and be sure they understand.  Be knowledgable about the market you choose.  Have good locations that will help you sell.  

  • Investor · Coppell, TX · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 646 votes
    10y

      I forgot to tell you a little bit about myself.   I am 59 years old and I found BP about 6 months ago and I am still trying to decide what to do.  I have a college degree in business that emphasized real estate.  That same year that I graduated, in 1980, I got a broker license.  Regardless of what I had I felt more comfortable with the construction business.  I have been in the construction business since I was 17.  My father has been in real estate for about 35 years and he has taught me a little bit.  If you think that I can help you please contact me through BP at any time.  Good luck!

  • Joseph ScoreseBusiness Member
    Banker · Philadelphia · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 633 votes
    10y

    Hi @,

    The three N's - Network, Network & more networking is a great start. Education and Opportunity will follow. Your NETWORK IS YOUR NET WORTH. Plenty of great associations in the Philadelphia Market to attend and grow your knowledge.

    Let me know if I can assist.

    Regards,

    Joe Scorese

  • AL · Member since 2016 · 31 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    @Daniel Dubeck Welcome to BP! I'm a newbie here as well from Philadelphia. I just been listening to the podcasts, reading the beginners guide, and randomly reading a bunch of fourm posts trying to soak as much info as I can. Good luck on your journey! Feel free to connect anytime!

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    @Daniel Dubeck Welcome to BP!  Great to see another new and eager investor from the Philly area.  I highly recommend the podcasts, they have made my morning and evening commute more productive and interesting.  Best of luck and see you around!

  • Lender · Lakehurst, NJ · Member since 2015 · 176 posts · 51 votes
    10y

    @Daniel Dubeck Welcome to BP. What are your real estate investor goals? 

  • West Chester, PA · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Michelle Wallace:

    Welcome to the newbie team!

     Thanks Michelle!!!

  • West Chester, PA · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Kelly Bochna:

    @Daniel Dubeck Welcome to BP!  Great to see another new and eager investor from the Philly area.  I highly recommend the podcasts, they have made my morning and evening commute more productive and interesting.  Best of luck and see you around!

    Thanks for your advice! I am addicted to the podcasts already! 

  • West Chester, PA · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Richard C.:

    @Daniel Dubeck Welcome to BP! I'm a newbie here as well from Philadelphia. I just been listening to the podcasts, reading the beginners guide, and randomly reading a bunch of fourm posts trying to soak as much info as I can. Good luck on your journey! Feel free to connect anytime!

    Thanks Richard I will! Good luck to you as well! 

  • West Chester, PA · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Joseph Scorese:

    Hi @,

    The three N's - Network, Network & more networking is a great start. Education and Opportunity will follow. Your NETWORK IS YOUR NET WORTH. Plenty of great associations in the Philadelphia Market to attend and grow your knowledge.

    Let me know if I can assist.

    Regards,

    Joe Scorese

     Thanks Joe! I could not agree more with you!!!

  • West Chester, PA · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Michael Lee:

      I forgot to tell you a little bit about myself.   I am 59 years old and I found BP about 6 months ago and I am still trying to decide what to do.  I have a college degree in business that emphasized real estate.  That same year that I graduated, in 1980, I got a broker license.  Regardless of what I had I felt more comfortable with the construction business.  I have been in the construction business since I was 17.  My father has been in real estate for about 35 years and he has taught me a little bit.  If you think that I can help you please contact me through BP at any time.  Good luck!

     Thanks Mike! That's very helpful!

  • West Chester, PA · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Paul Timmins:

    @Daniel Dubeck

    Welcome. Fill in the foundation below.

    Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

    Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

    Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having over 100 past ones to catch up on.

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers). Find them through Google and meetup.com

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

    Good Luck

    Paul 

    Thanks Paul! I will be sure to do that! 

  • West Chester, PA · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Scott C.:

    Welcome aboard! A good place to start is to read the Ultimate Beginners Guide to Real Estate Investing. It's not long, and has some good info. Listen to the podcasts and attend the weekly webinars.

     The podcasts are sheer gold in its value so for to me. Thanks Scott!

  • Investor · Coppell, TX · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 646 votes
    10y

    Hello!  I am sorry this note is so far behind but I just found this option last night.  Good luck to you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.