28 Year Old Newbie from London Ontario Canada

28 Year Old Newbie from London Ontario Canada

Investor · London, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 14 votes

Hey NOW! My name is Tom and I'm from London Ontario Canada. I work as a Carpenter apprentice at the moment and will be fully licensed within a year, 5200 hours under my belt when done. I'm very handy and have all/access to the tools required to renovate homes. I bought my first home in June 2014 and planned on renovating it my self within 2-3 months (evening and weekend work) with an $8000 budget. After demoing many problems arose that needed to be fixed, structural, electrical, plumbing, hvac. I initially wanted to do cosmetic work but all the problems required Permits, which added more time/scheduling to the project. Permits required drawings, which required a designer which required an engineer, wasn't sure how to support a load bearing beam on a brick wall foundation which all required more money! Hah! 10 months later and roughly $20,000 invested got me a nice looking rental unit. I've had the property rented out for 1 year now and that alone has been a roller coaster ride! 5 months in they wanted to move out because they didn't have enough spending money at the end of the month, at the end of 2 months notice they asked if their mother/boyfriend/brother could move in to help offset the costs. Sure, new lease, they now pay for utilities which is good because the hydro was more then I was expecting. Several months later drama arises between the first 2 and the new 3 and the first 2 move out suddenly leaving an unpaid hydro bill which doesn’t get paid and hydro is cut April first. First week of April we had very cold weather, below freezing and the house isn't heated and 3 people are living there... rent isn’t paid so I issue an eviction notice for the amount owed. We work out a deal and they came up with the money owed and a 3rd lease is now signed for the 3. Great! Rents paid, no vacancy issue and now these 3 are taking better care of the property. It's been quite the ride but honestly I love it and the rent checks coming in with a positive cash flow of 500-600 a month is GREAT! With what I learned on my first deal I KNOW my 2nd one will go much smoother and now that I’ve discovered Bigger Pockets I know where to come for advice! That's my real estate investment story! Here are some links to the renovation projects!

Sorry, I took ALOT of pictures!

http://imgur.com/gallery/IFs3P/new

Video walk through before renovation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoupbG2msjw

Video walk through after renovation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLboU15mLWg

1Reply
35 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Roseville, MN · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP!  It is a welcoming community, and you'll find lots of education if you just put in the effort.  Read, POST in the forums, and watch as many podcasts as you can.

    Let me know if I can help, 

  • Investor · Port Colborne, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 137 posts · 31 votes
    10y

    Hey there Thomas,

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. Happy to see a fellow Ontarian in here. I've been flipping for 12 years now and boy do those picks bring back memories. Look forward to seeing you on here and happy to help out anytime. 

    Have a great day...

  • Real Estate Agent · Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 408 posts · 90 votes
    10y

    Great Story sounds like you have learned a lot!

    There is a BP meetup group in London ask @Jeff Wybo for some information I believe they meet this week.

  • Rental Property Investor · London, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 79 posts · 19 votes
    10y

    @Thomas Forsythe That's quite the renovation, looks great now! The album/videos are a great way to show all of the effort you poured in. Pushing through the hard times and taking on the next challenge takes persistence. 

    Here's the link to the meetup we're having on Tuesday - hope you can make it out. Carpentry and landlording skills are a fantastic combination.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/30...

    On a side note, I don't think I've ever seen an Imgur album with that many images.

  • Investor · London, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 14 votes
    10y

    @Doug Thompson Thanks for the Welcoming! I'm so glad some one mentioned to me about BP on a Reddit post i did a week ago talking about a Real Estate Guru workshop I took part in. I've up to podcast 17 in a week! not to bad! 

    @Dave Vogt I look forward to flipping houses too! I'm confident in my ability to do the work, not so much finding the deals and finances but that starts with education!

    @Samuel Sedore Sometime life forces you to learn! I've contacted the group and i'm planning on attending Tuesday.

    @Kellan P. Thanks! I like documenting my work. Helps to keep a track record of what I've done. I got tons of pictures of all the remodeling work I've done over the years. My favourite remodel was turning a garage into a recording studio all done in tongue and groove pine. I've noticed a few of you have computer backgrounds, I do too! I got a 3 year diploma from fanshawe for Computer Systems Technology. I didn't like a deskjob, getting dirty and working with my hands was more my style.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.