New Investor From Milwaukee, My Situation, and Plan

New Investor From Milwaukee, My Situation, and Plan

Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 19 votes

Hi All,

I'm a new investor from Milwaukee, WI and have been on BP for about a month now. After Brandon's latest webinar, along with reading the blog, podcast, and other webinars I really want to take some Action.  My ultimate plan is to buy enough buy and holds to have $10,000/month in cashflow.  Here's my current situation:

I just bought a condo in July in downtown Milwaukee that is a 2 bedroom, 2 bath.  I plan on renting out the other bedroom for $800 a month and use that other bedroom as a "house hack."  It is in an ideal location and I can probably rent the entire thing out in the future. 

Right now as it stands my pretax income per month is $4,583 and the condo costs $1,300 a month and I have $250 in student loans, leaving my Debt-to-Income ratio pretty small. I have about 20K in Cash and 20K in a ROTH IRA account and I'm planning on saving about $700 a month from my job.

I've been looking around the Milwaukee area at several different houses and multifamily units and I'm wondering with my situation I should go for a single family or jump straight into the multifamilies.  The multifamilies though do run around 200k which might be a stretch to get the financing and down payment. 

Any recommendations, advice, or thoughts on how I should go forward?   

1Reply
16 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Brandon V.

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets.

  • Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 180 posts · 104 votes
    10y
    Personally, if I were you, I would rent out my condo and purchase a duplex. Then live in one side while you rent the other out. You'd basically be living for utilities at the duplex if you find the right deal, plus hopefully making cash flow from your condo. The biggest concern you'll have is determining if you can rent out your condo. Look into this with your condo association before proceeding
  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    10y

    Duplex or 4 family multifamily building that is located in a desirable neighborhood.

    Good luck

  • Realtor · New Berlin, WI · Member since 2016 · 118 posts · 47 votes
    10y

    Are you including condo fees in 1350 figure? If you are able to get it rented with a positive cash flow, go with the plan mentioned above (duplex, most likely with your finances). If not, live in a condo and consider both SFH and duplexes to see if you can find the best cash flow/location between the two. You first step is to talk to a lender and see EXACTLY what you will qualify for currently. Multis require 25% down, so if you are able to find something in a good location and planning on putting down all of your 40k and lender is willing, definitely go with the multi.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Brookfield, WI · Member since 2014 · 873 posts · 350 votes
    10y

    Bradon, Welcome to BP. Don't lose sight about keep reserves as unexpected things do happen.

    Good Luck!!!

    Thanks,

    MH

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.