5 single family in 18 months

5 single family in 18 months

Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 11 votes

Hi Everyone,

I am a single mom who decided to just GO FOR IT. It was either now or never and I chose NOW. In less then 2 years, my rental profolio consist of 5 rental properties, all with positive cash flow.

I bought a house 10 years ago at a higher interest rate. I was approve for a streamline refinance that allowed me to lower my rate without checking my credit score. My mortgage payment was cut in half and I am presently bringing in 500.00 passive income. 

Since my credit score wasn't the greatest, I bought my 2nd and 3rd property with my life's saving. Each property cost less then 30k, and rent for 1k each. Those two properties were just appraised for 90k each.  

For my fourth property, I found a small bank that approved me for a 30 year mortgage on a 27k house( yes, I know...why get a mortgage for such a small amount??... Lol)

Well, I exhausted my saving and only had enough money for a down payment. Plus I learned a new term called LEVERAGE. My mortgage is 350.00 but the property rents for 1,100 per month. There's no equity but I am fine with that:-).

I just closed on my fifth property. It's a 5 BR, 3 bath located near public transportation with easy access to center city Philadelphia, it's also within walking distance to a college and medical school. Since I worked at a hospital full time, I have access to medical students and residents. My goal is to rent it out to students or medical residents. Mortgage payment is 1,100 per month but it has the potential to be rented at 2,500 per month. I already have tenants waiting to move it. 

With that being said, I am new to students' housing and do not know the pro and cons.... I am open to any suggestions. Thank you for all the motivation that have gotten me this far.

7Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Coppell, TX · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 646 votes
9y

Hello and welcome to BP!  It sounds like you are doing great.  Yes, leverage is the way to go and house value does not mean much as long as it looks good on paper.  Do not cut any corners to make a property investment look better.  The time it took to buy 5 houses was a decent pace.  Do not try to do everything yourself.

Have good and experienced Team members are professionals that can help you meet your goals.  Just do what is average in that neighberhood.  Build a relationship with your sellers.  Take your time with your poperty and make sure you do not miss anything.  I am 60 years old now and I found BP about a year ago and I have not decided what to do but I have learned a bunch of things.

I have been in the construction business since I was 17.  Do not make any emotional decisions.  Make sure you are safe with your insurance coverage.  I also held an active real estate broker license for about 30 years before I had a stroke about 5 years ago.  If you think I can help you please contact me through BP at any time.  Best wishes!

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 601 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed, 

    Welcome to BP. That's so great. Thanks for sharing. Way to not let excuses keep you from moving forward. Keep it up!

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    9y

    Welcome to BP @Account Closed

  • Investor · Coppell, TX · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 646 votes
    9y

    Hello and welcome to BP!  It sounds like you are doing great.  Yes, leverage is the way to go and house value does not mean much as long as it looks good on paper.  Do not cut any corners to make a property investment look better.  The time it took to buy 5 houses was a decent pace.  Do not try to do everything yourself.

    Have good and experienced Team members are professionals that can help you meet your goals.  Just do what is average in that neighberhood.  Build a relationship with your sellers.  Take your time with your poperty and make sure you do not miss anything.  I am 60 years old now and I found BP about a year ago and I have not decided what to do but I have learned a bunch of things.

    I have been in the construction business since I was 17.  Do not make any emotional decisions.  Make sure you are safe with your insurance coverage.  I also held an active real estate broker license for about 30 years before I had a stroke about 5 years ago.  If you think I can help you please contact me through BP at any time.  Best wishes!

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    Goodnessssss, motivation, motivation, motivation. Glad to hear the success and thanks for sharing. I took a break, but you just motivated me to pickup right where I fell off. Thank and God Bless.
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2014 · 351 posts · 80 votes
    9y

    Congrats on your success thus far. @Account Closed I have no experience with Student housing so I cannot offer any suggestions there.

    Best of wishes to you in all you do!

  • Kevin PaulkPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 219 posts · 174 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed

    Congrats on the success. It sounds like your well on your way to Financial freedom.

    If you ever have some time I would appreciate any insight on Phili. I've been looking and traveling there on the weekends  driving for dollars and assessing the different neighborhoods. 

    I would love to hear from a local making it happen.

    ~Cheers!

  • Sunnyvale, CA · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    Congrats @Naomi J! Thanks for sharing your success. Are you self-managing these 5 properties while working at the hospital? May I ask what your strategy worked for you in finding these deals in the Philadelphia market? I'm amazed at the rent to price ratios that you've achieved. (over 3%!?!) In regards in student housing, IMO I would prefer to rent to medical residents given their likelihood of more financial stability as tenant. Otherwise, I would ensure there's at least a cosigner of the lease if its a student. Keep up the great work.

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    @Brett Snodgrass, @James Wise, @Michael Lee,  @Ryan Cameron thank you so much for all the motivation:-)

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    @Gainet M., it's either now or never, take advantage of all the opportunities Philly has to offer. Let me know if you want to discuss philly sometimes:-)

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    @Albert Zheng, residents seems to be a better choice, thanks for the info. Yes, I am managing all the properties myself. My shift at the hospital is pretty flexible but I have a great handy man on speed dial...I know... A little ambitious😬😬

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    @Kevin Paulk I am very knowledgeable about Philly neighborhoods. I went to college in Philly and lived in almost all the trendy areas in the city. Inbox me if you need more info. 

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    Definitely, can you inbox me when you have a chance. I have a few questions. Now that you lifted my investors spirit : )
  • Realtor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 33 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed Welcome to BP and congrats on taking the leap and building your portfolio so quickly on your own.  Very inspiring! Sounds like  you have some great potential with the medical school students and residents. There was a podcast about student housing rentals that might be helpful:

    Podcast #140 The Riches are in the Niches with Bill Syrios

    Also, I am curious as to which small bank that you used to finance your fourth property.  I am looking for a small bank to build a relationship with, that other investors have had success with to refi my rental property in Philadelphia.  Please PM me your experience on that bank when you have a chance.

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    @Alisha Wagner I am still learning to navigate through the site. Somehow I am having a difficult time sending you a message but thank you so much for the link. I am listening to the podcast now:-)

    I don't know if it would be easier if you send me a message. 

  • Investor · Coppell, TX · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 646 votes
    9y

    Hello again!  I am sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you but they keep on changing this site.  While I medically recover (probably around the first of the year) I would love to help you in any way.  Best wishes!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.