Newbie from Cbus, Ohio

Newbie from Cbus, Ohio

Investor · Parker, CO · Member since 2016 · 59 posts · 37 votes

Newbie investor looking to increase my knowledge on the site. My goal is to create passive income through buy and hold investing or BRRRR with a focus on single family homes to begin. Interested in sticking to Columbus area. I'm in the car a lot for work and found BP through my real estate investing Podcasts. Hope to get past my "analysis paralisis and find my first deal in the next 3 months.

3Reply
71 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Marketing Professional · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 299 posts · 125 votes
9y

Welcome, @Mike German! We manage units in Westerville; it's an attractive area for our multifamily investors because of the great schools. Make sure you talk to your neighbors and everyone around you...you could find your first deal in your very own neighborhood. Don't underestimate chatting in the line at Starbucks....and I'm not kidding. Best of luck! Let us know if we can answer any questions for you. 

See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Professional · Columbus, OH · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    congratulations.

  • Investor · Parker, CO · Member since 2016 · 59 posts · 37 votes
    9y
  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 59 votes
    9y

    Welcome to BP and the Columbus market! Lots of great resources here. Hopefully you can realize your cash flow before 4 years are up! (I'm still working on that for a double on the south side.)

  • John HornerPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    9y

    Congrats and best of luck!

  • Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2014 · 77 posts · 23 votes
    9y

    @Mike German Congrats! That is where my second duplex is, I think thats a great area.  Good luck moving forward.

  • Investor · Parker, CO · Member since 2016 · 59 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Kurt

    @Kurt Dieringer; based on my Pro Forma (which is never wrong! ha ha), I should be in good shape.  The seller realized how low the current rents were on this unit compared to  market so there is room to grow.  Fingers crossed that my investor inspection goes smooth tomorrow.

  • Investor · Parker, CO · Member since 2016 · 59 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    Thanks, @John Horner- I still want to sync up with and grab breakfast down the road.  You are light years ahead of me in this business and appreciate any insights you have.

  • John HornerPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Mike German:

    Thanks, @John Horner- I still want to sync up with and grab breakfast down the road.  You are light years ahead of me in this business and appreciate any insights you have.

     Sure thing, hit me up!

  • Investor · Parker, CO · Member since 2016 · 59 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Justin Taber; it's a nice, quiet and hidden community (much better than some of the other duplexes I've checked out further south.  I look forward to managing these first few units to figure out what I'm doing before getting a PM.  

    Quick question: what are your thoughts about lawn service on a duplex (basically side by side)?  From talking to other buddies, I was just going to account for $70/month for lawn care roughly 6 months/year.  What are your thoughts?

  • Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2014 · 77 posts · 23 votes
    9y

    @Mike German We have the tenants take care of that and we make sure we explain that very clearly on and before the lease signing. I don't see any problem including that in rent I'd just include that in your listing as a benefit. This might be the best time of year to shop around for rates too.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.