Newbie from the Rio Grande Valley in Texas`

Newbie from the Rio Grande Valley in Texas`

Mission, TX · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 1 vote

     I'm a family man that lives in Mission, Texas.  Waiter, Bus Boy, Car Wash Attendant, Ham Shaver(yes, shaving pig butts on an assembly line in Nebraska), Clothing Retail Sales, Fast Food Cashier, Short Order Cook, New and Used Car Salesman, Warehouseman/Maintenance Technician/Whatever for a petroleum products distributor, U.S. Navy Aviation Electrician working on mine countermeasures equipment, Industrial Electrician and Instrument Fitter(working in refineries, natural gas burning power plants, and a nuclear plant) and 6th Generation Cyberdrillship Electrician(working in places like Korea, Singapore, Angola, and currently off the coast of Egypt)are most of the jobs I have held in my lifetime so far.  

My interest in real estate is to replace my oilfield income to the degree that I no longer have to work in the oilfield. I'm mostly interested in buy and hold, but I realize that the path to that may require a few flips to get there. I'm highly interested in building up a portfolio of SFR and small multifamily(5-50) properties.

1Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Marlon FongPro Member
BiggerPockets Support · Bridge City, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 367 votes
9y

Hi @Rigoberto Alanis! Welcome to the BP community. Great to have you here.

BiggerPockets
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Marlon FongPro Member
    BiggerPockets Support · Bridge City, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 367 votes
    9y

    Hi @Rigoberto Alanis! Welcome to the BP community. Great to have you here.

    BiggerPockets
  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 601 votes
    9y

    Hi @Rigoberto Alanis , 

    Welcome to BP! Don't be shy on the forums. There are a lot of experienced investors on here who are happy to help out. All the best with your plans!

  • Real Estate Agent · McAllen, TX · Member since 2012 · 41 posts · 18 votes
    9y

    Hi @Rigoberto Alanis, 

    Sounds like you've had a wide diversity of experiences in your life!! I, like you, want to buy and hold real estate to build wealth and I live in McAllen/Mission also. 

    I'm a local agent and investor here in the Valley. If you tell me a little more about what you're looking for and your timeline, I'd be happy to talk about what I've seen marketwise down here. The renter pool is strong here as you probably know and there's so much growth as well. Message me if I can be of any help!

  • Mission, TX · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Thank you all for the warm welcome!  I've been on here for a little while, but I'm finally getting around to taking some more action in this direction.  The podcasts are simply amazing and motivating, most people here seem genuine, and the learning curve for someone like myself can be greatly reduced by showing up and paying attention to what's going on here.

    @Kasey Villareal, I'm actually building a house for sale in Dove's Crossing, on 23rd Lane at the moment.  It will be priced in the high 200's.  I'm looking for a property or two to fix and flip, and of course either single family or small multifamily to buy and hold if at all possible.  To potentially help facilitate this,  I have a client investor interested in making his money make money with real estate as a vehicle and the home builder I'm partnered up with on the new build can also do remodeling on the fix and flips if and when needed.  

    Also, I'm going to start taking my prelicensing courses online so I can get my license as an agent as well. I just figured I'd rather get the experience, education, and some paper that shows people I'm serious about this -- aside from being able to more easily search the MLS and have a Plan B in case the oilfield drops off more than it already has. Maybe we can work together on something, so if you happen to see something you believe can be interesting for all parties involved, then by all means allow me to have a look! Again, thank you all for the warm welcome, and I look forward to going Pro and taking more action sooner than later.

  • Shawn AckermanPro Member
    Real Estate Entrepreneur · Mid West, East Coast · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Rigoberto Alanis Welcome to BP! I'd suggest checking out the UBG (Ultimate Beginners Guide). Best of luck! https://www.biggerpockets.com/rei/

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.