New investor. Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada.

New investor. Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada.

Investor · Ottawa, Ontario · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 16 votes
Hello everyone! I have been a member of Bigger Pockets for about a month now, and have been quietly reading forums and gaining knowledge from all of you! My husband and I have recently bought our first rental property (triplex) and will be the official owners on March 31st! I am currently on Maternity leave, but will be returning to work as a Dental Hygienist in the near future. Our goal is to save our money to purchase more units and slowly grow our rental property business. Ideally we would like to rely on our rental income as a means to retire in our early 50s, but would be a bonus if we could accomplish that a few years earlier. We think we would like to stick to multi family units, and even possibly get into student rentals in the future (Ottawa is only an hour away) Would love to talk with fellow investors and landlords in the Ottawa Valley. If there are any Real Estate Investing groups/meetings in the area we would be happy to attend!
1Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Ottawa, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 225 posts · 46 votes
9y

@Michala Vander Ploeg - Welcome to Biggerpockets and congrats on the first purchase.  

OREIO is a real estate meetup group in Ottawa and their next event in on 8th March. Here is the link. Hopefully you can make it there and looking forward to learn about your triplex purchase. 

http://www.oreio.org/next-oreio-event-march-8-2017-relational-capital/

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Ottawa, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 225 posts · 46 votes
    9y

    @Michala Vander Ploeg - Welcome to Biggerpockets and congrats on the first purchase.  

    OREIO is a real estate meetup group in Ottawa and their next event in on 8th March. Here is the link. Hopefully you can make it there and looking forward to learn about your triplex purchase. 

    http://www.oreio.org/next-oreio-event-march-8-2017-relational-capital/

  • Investor · Ottawa, Ontario · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 16 votes
    9y
    Haseeb Awan thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I will be out of the province March 8th, but hoping to make the next one!
  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Michala Vander Ploeg

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. Make sure to read the Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

  • Investor · Ottawa, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 225 posts · 46 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Michala Vander Ploeg:

    Haseeb Awan thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I will be out of the province March 8th, but hoping to make the next one!

     Np. They have events once a month so may be the next one. Also how has been the cap rates in your part of the town. I have heard some good stories and would like to know yours as well

  • Investor · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 148 posts · 34 votes
    9y

    congrats from newmarket ontario!

  • Ottawa, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Hey there!

    I'm Jeff, from Ottawa, Ontario. My wife and I own our primary residence, and hopefully by next summer will be ready to purchase a multi family. I've been studying up for a long time and ready to take the plunge once I can save up some funds, unless I can find a good hard money lender willing to make a deal.

    My primary goal is to have enough properties that I can become FI and quit my day job to do this full time. Talking about real estate, properties, and financial independence is something I enjoy.

    I listen to the BP Podcasts almost religiously. Also check out Matt McKeever on YouTube.  He's from London, Ontario and has great weekly content on YouTube.

    Thanks

    Jeff

  • Investor · Ottawa, Ontario · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 16 votes
    7y

    Hey @Jeffrey Boudreau

    Good luck on buying your first property! Have you been looking in a specific area?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.