Hello from Los Angeles

Hello from Los Angeles

Investor · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 4 votes

My name is Stephanie. I've always been interested in real estate and I'm just now really getting into it. I bought my first (and only) property in LA County in 2012 and lived in it for almost 4 years. I'm currently renting it out and it's paying for itself now. I moved in with family to save up more money to buy a second property. I'm hoping to build my portfolio with buy and hold properties but I'm open to flipping. I'm not in a rush to buy but I'm definitely going to jump on deals that are too good to pass up.

I have a full-time job and am trying to invest in real estate on the side. I'd like to grow my portfolio to the point where it can match my primary income so that my retirement plan can supplement my real estate income.

I found Bigger Pockets after buying and listening to an Brandon Turner's "The Book on Managing Rental Properties" after I had moved out of my condo and was prepping it to be rented out. I'm glad there's a community that helps rookie investors like me get started. Looking forward to learning and contributing to this forum.

-Steph

4Reply
69 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 44 posts · 4 votes
9y
Hey step
See this reply in the discussion

37 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor/RE Broker · Eugene, OR · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 968 votes
    9y

    @Stephanie Nguyen-Lieu Hi and welcome to BP and the world of REI! I also live in a West Coast market that has not made sense to me for REI for some time, so got started investing out of state (Florida actually) with turnkey investing back in 2012. Prices definitely have gone up there very considerably, and turnkey deals with good turnkey providers are harder to come by in general, but certainly a lot better than you can do in LA if you are looking for lower entry points and decent cash flow.

  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Stephanie Nguyen-Lieu:

    My name is Stephanie. I've always been interested in real estate and I'm just now really getting into it. I bought my first (and only) property in LA County in 2012 and lived in it for almost 4 years. I'm currently renting it out and it's paying for itself now. I moved in with family to save up more money to buy a second property. I'm hoping to build my portfolio with buy and hold properties but I'm open to flipping. I'm not in a rush to buy but I'm definitely going to jump on deals that are too good to pass up.

    I have a full-time job and am trying to invest in real estate on the side. I'd like to grow my portfolio to the point where it can match my primary income so that my retirement plan can supplement my real estate income.

    I found Bigger Pockets after buying and listening to an Brandon Turner's "The Book on Managing Rental Properties" after I had moved out of my condo and was prepping it to be rented out. I'm glad there's a community that helps rookie investors like me get started. Looking forward to learning and contributing to this forum.

    -Steph

    Hello and welcome! This is really a great place to get started! Have you been looking into other markets? Sometimes you can get a great ROI in different areas than your local market.

    Best of luck!

  • Home Stager · San Luis Obispo, CA · Member since 2016 · 312 posts · 49 votes
    9y

    welcome to bp stephanie!!

  • Shawn AckermanPro Member
    Real Estate Entrepreneur · Mid West, East Coast · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Stephanie Nguyen-Lieu Hello From New York!!! LOL!  Welcome to BP!  Always remember to persist and you will WIIN!

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Hi Stephanie:  

    Welcome to BiggerPockets!    

    ---Jeff 

  • Investor · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Thanks Everyone! After hearing from everyone so far I've decided to research markets outside of California and also pore through all the resources BP has to offer. I'm excited to begin this journey with the support of the BP community.

  • Real Estate Agent · Long Beach, California (CA) · Member since 2016 · 73 posts · 43 votes
    9y
    Hi Stephanie! Welcome to BiggerPockets and congratulations on turning to RE for your future investments! My husband and I just purchased a triplex here in Long Beach and are currently "House Hacking" and we love it! We want to buy a fourplex in the next year and also looking to buy out of state as well! If you need anything don't hesitate to ask us! P.S. my husband knows you from work! Lindsey
  • Real Estate Agent · Long Beach, California (CA) · Member since 2016 · 73 posts · 43 votes
    9y
    Stephanie Nguyen-Lieu Robert Davalos If you two would like to chat about investing locally in the LA or Long Beach area in multifamily properties, I'm happy to meet with you. I'm an investor as well as an agent so I can walk you through the process of buying as well as work numbers and show you the possibilities out here. Yes, the prices are high, but the rents are much higher and properties appreciate at a much higher rate so you could own fewer properties and cash flow more. My husband and I invest locally and don't put very much of our own cash in to it. The calculators on BP are fantastic for working out the numbers and I can help you with the purchase and show you property. Let me know if you'd like to meet for coffee and chat!
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wichita falls, TX · Member since 2017 · 45 posts · 2 votes
    9y
    Lindsey Iskierka sounds good Im interested. I'll shoot you an email, thank you ma'am
  • Long Beach, CA · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Hi Stephanie,

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets! I am also in Long Beach. Small world!

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Hello and welcome ... congrats on your purchase and successfully turning it from your primary residence into a rental. That is how I got started, and now I own a portfolio of cash flowing single family properties in SoCal, which everyone insists is impossible sometimes even after I explain in detail how I did it. I think you are right for being disciplined to not jump until you find that next great deal. Keep at it, and once you find that great deal through hard work, patience, discipline, and determination, you should jump all over it ... then rinse and repeat as needed until filthy rich. I'm happy to chat if you like ... sounds like your current situation is similar to where I was 11 years ago. Ironically, I was trying to buy another place back then but the market was too hot and I was too green to find a great deal in those conditions, so I saved and studied and kept looking ... then the market crashed and because I didn't give up I had the knowledge and was sitting on a pile of money I had saved to invest ... good times, glad I did not throw in the towel back then or worse buy to try to force a bad deal.

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    9y

    Welcome aboard Stephanie!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.