Newbie from Muskegon/Grand Rapids, Michigan

Newbie from Muskegon/Grand Rapids, Michigan

Muskegon, MI · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 3 votes
Hi there! My name is Stephanie, I'm a 24-year old newbie from the Muskegon/Grand Rapids, Michigan area, and I'm so excited to join the BP community! I have been interested in real estate investing for a while now and I'm ready to devour and absorb as much information as I can. My next step will be ordering the books from a suggested reading list I found on this site, and developing marketing material as I will be looking to work with HML's and PML's. Previously, I wished to move to California, and I studied real estate to earn my salesperson license in CA. Upon discovering the additional complications of being an agent and also an investor, I have been deeply considering staying in Michigan and taking advantage of the incredible opportunity already around me in my area. I feel it is a blessing in disguise that I was able to learn quite a bit about the basics of real estate without ending up an agent! My goal is to build a portfolio large enough to allow me to quit my job through investing with a focus on the BRRRR strategy. I want to make a career out of real estate investing until I reach the point where I may retire early and enjoy freedom with passive income. I'm eager to jump in on the action and start making deals! Thank you in advance for any advice/insight and for welcoming me to the BP community!
3Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

Ramon HuertaPro Member
Real Estate Agent · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2016 · 223 posts · 26 votes
9y
Stephanie Wolf Welcome. I am excited to hear about your new venture. I suggest you try to attend as many Real Estate Investor meeting you can. Start networking and building relationships. I co host an event called Property Krawl once a month. If your on Facebook I suggest you search for the page and check out our previous events. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me. I wish you the best in your real estate journey.
See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael S.Pro Member
    Biggerpockets Support · Las Pinas, Metro Manila · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Welcome to BP Stephanie and great to have you here in the community. 

    BiggerPockets
  • Dylan VargasPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Chico, CA · Member since 2016 · 625 posts · 336 votes
    9y

    @Stephanie Wolf Hello and Welcome! I was just looking at this area over the weekend. I live in California but spent many years up in the Petoskey/Traverse City/ Alpena area. The prices look great for BRRR and flipping also. If you see any great deals or areas with a longer term strategy let me know. I am content on California but always preparing for a change of where to invest. Thank you and good luck.

  • Muskegon, MI · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Thank you @Michael S. it's great to be here!

    @Dylan Vargas Thank you! Great to hear from someone with a similar perspective on the area. I agree, the prices are looking great and I'm looking forward to getting some experience under my belt with a flip to start. I'm still learning the ropes, so if I see something  I will gladly keep you posted! 

  • Wyoming, MI · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Welcome Stephanie, BP is a great community of REI's. I live in Grand Rapids and I just got my offer accepted on my 3rd SFR. I'm a buy and hold investor as well. I'm also looking for my first Fix & Flip. I just started looking in the Muskegon Mi. area as well.

  • Investor · Muskegon, MI · Member since 2014 · 71 posts · 29 votes
    9y
    Hi Stephanie, I also live in the Muskegon area and I jut started looking for flips and buy/holds in the area. I did some flips in Toledo OH and did pretty well. Hope you do well. I'd like to stay in touch with investors in the Muskegon area, it would be nice if we could start a sub forum... Jim
  • Muskegon, MI · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Hi @Jeff Fields thank you! Congrats on the purchase! It's encouraging to hear from someone on BP that is investing in the same area. 

  • Muskegon, MI · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    That's fantastic @Jim Zatko, and thank you! I'm also interested in keeping in touch with investors in the Muskegon area. I'm especially curious about the impact Muskegon's different neighborhoods have on the decision process during analysis, since there's a pretty good range from nicer areas to not so nice areas. Not sure how to start a sub forum, so I sent a connect invite. Thanks!

  • Ramon HuertaPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2016 · 223 posts · 26 votes
    9y
    Stephanie Wolf Welcome. I am excited to hear about your new venture. I suggest you try to attend as many Real Estate Investor meeting you can. Start networking and building relationships. I co host an event called Property Krawl once a month. If your on Facebook I suggest you search for the page and check out our previous events. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me. I wish you the best in your real estate journey.
  • Muskegon, MI · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    @Ramon Huerta Thank you. I checked out the page and I feel like it would be a very helpful event for me. I'd like to attend. I agree, I want to get more involved and build relationships. I found a REI club in Grand Rapids and will be attending their meetings as well. I appreciate the advice and the invite! Thank you!

  • Ramon HuertaPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2016 · 223 posts · 26 votes
    9y

    @Stephanie Wolf My pleasure. I am glad you checked out the page and i believe it can be very educational. There is several great groups in Grand Rapids and Muskegon. Please let me know if there is anything I can help you with or any questions about the Property Krawl. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Dayton OH (dayton, oh) · Member since 2016 · 194 posts · 123 votes
    9y
    Welcome aboard Stephanie! I'm not too far from you here in Toledo Ohio. We run a real estate meet up in toledo once a month as well. If you are ever down this way I would love to catch up
  • New to Real Estate · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 118 posts · 60 votes
    9y
    Stephanie Wolf welcome
  • Real Estate Broker · MI · Member since 2014 · 594 posts · 183 votes
    9y
    Hi Stephanie Wolf there is a lot of experience here. I wish you the best!
  • Muskegon, MI · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    9y
  • Rental Property Investor · Spring Lake, MI · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 23 votes
    9y
    Welcome! I am also in west Michigan. Let me know if you guys start a sub-forum. Lots of potential in Muskegon. Just got outbid on a duplex last week. Discouraging but there are more deals out there! Good luck!
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 96 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    Hello I am an out of state investor looking for buy and hold at Muskegon area. Could anyone living in this area provide any insights on Muskegon area - recent developments? I hear its becoming more  and more difficult to find good deals in GR area and investors are now focusing Muskegon. Any insights on this would be helpful.

    @Stephanie Wolf - Welcome to BP. If you need any insights on Chicago market - please feel free to reach out.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 123 posts · 64 votes
    9y

    hi Tushar! Welcome to BiggerPockets! Please check out my profile and reach out if you have any questions regarding the southside or westside Chicago markets

  • Ravenna, MI · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Hi @Stephanie Wolf!  My husband and I are also "newbies" and are in the Muskegon area.  Freedom with passive income is a powerful motivator for us, too!  Best wishes! 

  • Investor · Sylvania, OH · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    @Jim Zatko - great meeting you held this week. Looking forward to the next one.

  • Investor · Muskegon, MI · Member since 2014 · 71 posts · 29 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Kevin Bentley:

    @Jim Zatko - great meeting you held this week. Looking forward to the next one.

     Glad you enjoyed it!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.