What's GOOOOD? From Orange County!

What's GOOOOD? From Orange County!

Fountain Valley, CA · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 8 votes

What's up ya'll!  I'm Darryl from Orange County!  This forum appeared multiple times after searching on Google as a good point of reference and it seems to have more people engaged in this niche so I figured I might as well join haha.  

Just a little background on myself I grew up in Silicon Valley and went to school in Orange County studying Economics.  My parents wanted me to be an Engineer, but I switched to business.  Being resourceful, I always liked buying/selling things on Ebay, Craigslist, and various niche forums.  If I wanted something that was expensive retail, I didn't like paying full price.  So, I find ways to lower my cost basis by reselling or buying second hand.  That's where I fell in love with the secondary market.  

I ended up working in investments and financial planning for a few years after college until the market crashed and I was laid off.  It was a time I was still discovering myself so I backpacked around the world for a few years around SE Asia.  I learned so much about the world, mainly how spoiled and good we have it, but I also realized I had a passion for food/hospitality so ended up cooking for friends/family and a few small parties, and working at a restaurant.  It's still a passion, but I have a deep yearning to apply my business skills.  I'll sell anything: cars, limited release Nike shoes, sunglasses, mountain bikes, bike racks, concert tickets, etc.  Anything relevant to my hobbies and can easily flip.  

After a combination of saving, investing, hustling, careful spending, and finding the right real estate agent, I purchased my first live in house-hacked duplex in October 2016.  I live not only rent free but also generate income from the rent I'm able to charge and cover property taxes!  

I'll be lurking and poking my head in some threads here so watch out!  :D

2Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 670 posts · 352 votes
9y

They are not. I do have 4 projects here locally but the majority of our projects are across the midwest and south. Investing heavily in Indianapolis, Oklahoma City, Kansas City, Mississippi, Toledo, etc. Too expensive and smaller profit margins here on the West Coast. 

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Fountain Valley, CA · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Hit you up in the DM's @Seth Bradley !

  • Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    @Darryl Lin will be heading to Tustin tomorrow and Thursday don't know if you are around and free?

  • Fountain Valley, CA · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Hi @Robin Boyer , just got this message.  Darn!  I was busy at work and I've got some plans with my lady tonight :(  

  • Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    All good I am home now I stopped at the swinging door one of my favorite places in Tustin.  I am working on putting together a meet and greet at my commercial property in corona this year if you are interested.

  • West Hollywood, CA · Member since 2016 · 235 posts · 72 votes
    9y

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets @Darryl Lin

    BP is loaded with all the information you will need to succeed in whatever niche of real estate investing you wish to pursue and the community is filled with knowledgeable investors and professionals to learn from and connect with.

    BP is what you make it. The more you put in, the more you will get out of it!

    Listen to the podcast for extra inspiration and investing advice and post in the forum for any questions you have. Members here are really eager to help. We're all working to succeed together.

    Also, check the "networking events" tab under "Community" and go out there and meet people. That's the way to build powerful relationships. In fact, if you’re interested in investing out of state, check out The Out of State Real Estate Investors of LA Group.

    Like you, I am living in CA (Los Angeles), but I focus on investing out of state for the 3x cash flow and reasonable cost of real estate. Florida is my state of choice.

    P.S. - Two of the best books you can read (and re-read) are Rich Dad, Poor Dad and The 4-Hour Workweek. Both have been mentioned numerous times by guests on the Bigger Pockets podcast and I have detailed notes to both books. If you would like a copy, just let me know and I'll send them over. (but it's still highly worth buying the books.)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.