Hello from Tori in Texas (The Woodlands Conroe)

Hello from Tori in Texas (The Woodlands Conroe)

Conroe, TX · Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 7 votes

Hi everyone! I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself and hopefully connect with like-minded folks! I'm a newbie and am beginning my REI career by wholesaling. At this point, my long-term goal is to own vacation rental properties (in Galveston and Port Aransas) and commercial real estate. This is all so new to me that when I'm tempted to go into perfectionist mode, or I get overwhelmed, I look at this quote over my desk:

I am a wife and mother and I homeschool 3 of my daughters, ages 3, 7, and 12. I have a Master's Degree in Marriage and Family Therapy and besides hearing clients' stories and helping them problem-solve, I also enjoyed working on research projects and analyzing data. I think the combination of those two things might serve me well as I get underway with wholesaling, and eventually the other aspects of REI.

I have lived in the Houston area all my life and have grown to really appreciate the culture and history that is part of our great city. I live just north of Houston and have already found some great leads driving for dollars in my area! I have taken my girls with me and it has been a great learning opportunity for them.

One reason I want to do this is probably the most common one that people have, to build financial wealth for my family. But for years now, it has been a dream of mine and my husband's to give away 50% of our income to ministries at our church and other causes we care about, such as orphan care. I am especially inspired by how Brett Snodgrass runs his business and would love to hear how others incorporate their values into their businesses.

I would love to see distressed areas (like Acres Homes and several places around Conroe) revitalized and thriving. As a history buff, I would also love to invest in (and eventually restore) historical homes in the Houston-Galveston, Texas. Making an impact in my community is very important to me.

Guys, I'm so sorry this is so long! I haven't shared this with many people in real life yet because I don't want to open myself up to any naysaying before I've really gotten my foot in the door. I'm just very excited about this journey and reaching out for encouragement.

Anyway, if you made it to the end of this, thank you! 

2Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · The Woodlands, TX · Member since 2014 · 345 posts · 288 votes
9y

@Tori Prophet

First of all I want to apologize  ---  I just read your post and feel terrible that my email to you earlier in the day (in response to your colleague request) was probably the exact "naysaying" you have tried to avoid in your personal life.... I encourage everyone to actively pursue their dream of financial independence .... So... GOOD LUCK and I truly hope you find success.... 

From my perspective, I see wholesaling as a pipe dream for most ... I hear from wholesalers ALL the time and most fail... either because they have unrealistic expectations or they are hooked on the get rich quick schemes sold by gurus... having said that, you seem to have a true desire and PASSION to succeed - -- Passion is what sets the successful apart from the average.  Without passion, most people get bored when the "quick" part of the Get Rich Quick plan doesn't pan out ---- I truly believe  there is no better path to wealth than with real estate - BUT, it is more of a Get Rich Slow plan -- To be completely frank with you, (like I said in my email) I do believe that wholesaling is a difficult road to riches .... there are a TON of "investors" sending out mailers for the same motivated sellers you will be marketing to (I get about 15 letters/postcards a week) so the odds are against you and it will be an uphill battle ---- BUT you seem to have passion, and when you have passion on your side, perseverance will take you a LONG way.

I started out trying to wholesale and fortunately, I was a terrible failure .... my failure caused me to keep my first wholesale deal as a rental property --- less than 6 years later, I resigned from a $150,000/yr salary career to spend my days doing whatever I want ....  

I wish you all the success in the world but if your wholesaling dreams are doused, don't give up... there are many avenues to your destination --- and again, I sincerely apologize if my earlier email seemed .....naysaying

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael S.Pro Member
    Biggerpockets Support · Las Pinas, Metro Manila · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Welcome to Biggerpockets Tori and thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself

    BiggerPockets
  • Real Estate Broker · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 187 posts · 111 votes
    9y

    Welcome Tori!

    I'm a Realtor and investor in the 088 and also own property in Galveston. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

  • Rental Property Investor · The Woodlands, TX · Member since 2014 · 345 posts · 288 votes
    9y

    @Tori Prophet

    First of all I want to apologize  ---  I just read your post and feel terrible that my email to you earlier in the day (in response to your colleague request) was probably the exact "naysaying" you have tried to avoid in your personal life.... I encourage everyone to actively pursue their dream of financial independence .... So... GOOD LUCK and I truly hope you find success.... 

    From my perspective, I see wholesaling as a pipe dream for most ... I hear from wholesalers ALL the time and most fail... either because they have unrealistic expectations or they are hooked on the get rich quick schemes sold by gurus... having said that, you seem to have a true desire and PASSION to succeed - -- Passion is what sets the successful apart from the average.  Without passion, most people get bored when the "quick" part of the Get Rich Quick plan doesn't pan out ---- I truly believe  there is no better path to wealth than with real estate - BUT, it is more of a Get Rich Slow plan -- To be completely frank with you, (like I said in my email) I do believe that wholesaling is a difficult road to riches .... there are a TON of "investors" sending out mailers for the same motivated sellers you will be marketing to (I get about 15 letters/postcards a week) so the odds are against you and it will be an uphill battle ---- BUT you seem to have passion, and when you have passion on your side, perseverance will take you a LONG way.

    I started out trying to wholesale and fortunately, I was a terrible failure .... my failure caused me to keep my first wholesale deal as a rental property --- less than 6 years later, I resigned from a $150,000/yr salary career to spend my days doing whatever I want ....  

    I wish you all the success in the world but if your wholesaling dreams are doused, don't give up... there are many avenues to your destination --- and again, I sincerely apologize if my earlier email seemed .....naysaying

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 69 posts · 11 votes
    9y
    Hi Tori, I'm in Northeast Houston.
  • Conroe, TX · Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    @Ann Watkins Thank you! I will definitely be in touch. Your investments in those areas are of particular interest to me.

    @Jeff Wallace No harm done! I appreciate you taking the time to consider what I've said. Truthfully, my dream isn't wholesaling. If I thought I could skip wholesaling and go straight to earning passive income, that's what I would do. As of right now, I don't see exactly how to make that happen but I'm all ears for advice from those who've been there like you. I'd love to hear more of your story. I am definitely passionate about my family and helping other families. Now, I just need to figure out how.

  • Temple Hills, MD · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    @Tori Prophet

    Hi Tori!

    Welcome Welcome!! You do have passion. I am a newbie that is sort of stuck. I have been out driving for dollars and have found many properties, but I went with someone who is working with a so called investment company, and gave them the properties (I found) to them who said I would be paid once the flip happened-Not so. I see a lot of the properties  that I provided being flipped by others and not this person/company.  My community is really hot right now, and there are still many properties left. Do your homework. Be cautious. Keep striving.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.