New Investor based out of Brooklyn NYC

New Investor based out of Brooklyn NYC

Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 15 votes

Hi All,

My name is Tae and I am a new investor getting started based out of Brooklyn, New York City. I am 23 years old and stumbled across the BiggerPockets community not too long ago, but have been amazed by the wealth of knowledge that exists on this site and how helpful all of the community members are. I learn something new everytime I click on a forum post or discussion page and am trying my best to act as a sponge and absorb it all in!

I aim to invest in my first real estate property within the next year, as an owner-occupant through means of an FHA or similar loan. Though I work in Manhattan, I am flexible as to where my first deal may land me - Brooklyn, Queens, Jersey City, etc. I would love the opportunity to connect with any local investors in Brooklyn, or New York City, and if anyone could share their experiences "house-hacking" in Brooklyn or NYC. Look forward to becoming a part of this community!

2Reply
10 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    9y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets Tae and good luck investing!

  • Real Estate Agent · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2017 · 54 posts · 21 votes
    9y

    Hello Tae, Welcome!

    Congrats on your new found interest. Wish you the best on this endeavor. Take full advantage of asking questions on the forums. People are so happy to offer guidance and advice. Also, set up key alerts for everything that interests you. I think it’s a great tool. I definitely agree with East New York, I’ve been keeping a lookout on possible opportunities. You never know. 

    Good luck on your endeavors! =)

  • Colts Neck, NJ · Member since 2017 · 27 posts · 6 votes
    9y
    McK Tae?
  • Abel CurielBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Queens, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Good evening Tae,

    It seems like you're gearing up for some big moves! You came to the right place, Bigger Pockets is a great site to meet like-minded people in your market and abroad. 

    House-hacking is a great strategy to use to get in the game and start building wealth as you shoot for your long-term goal. As for figuring out what kind of buying/borrowing power you have, seeing a lender about a pre-approval is the best way to find out where you stand. Once you know what kind of loan you qualify for, you'll have a better picture of where you can begin to invest. 

    Best of luck to you!

    -Abel

    REbuild Team - eXp Realty5234 Reviews
  • Property Manager · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 479 posts · 277 votes
    9y

    @Tae Kim Welcome to BP! I found the podcasts to be a huge help when I was first starting out. I would listen to them at the gym and while driving and you start to hear a lot of the same stuff over and over and that helped a lot of it stick for me. A lot of people have also said the educational pieces are super helpful, but I never got much of a chance to try them out. Let me know if I can be of any help and best of luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    @Chris Grenzig

    Thanks for the welcome! Yes the podcasts are incredibly helpful and quite entertaining as well. I am definitely picking up some common themes, mistakes, success factors, etc. and am trying to learn as much as possible

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    @Abel Curiel

    Wise words - I will definitely keep those in mind moving forward. Thanks and best of luck in all your REI endeavors as well!

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    @Jessica Melendez

    Thanks! I wish you the best in all your REI endeavors as well.

    That's awesome - seems like our interests are aligned in regards to East New York. I'm curious and excited as to how the new re-zoning to take place will affect the area

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.