Taking the plunge, new career goal, ready to network!

Taking the plunge, new career goal, ready to network!

Jennifer WardPro Member
Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 94 posts · 42 votes

Im ready to take the plunge and make a career in real estate investing.  Just learned about BP and it has inspired me to transition from pursuing real estate investments every two years to full-time. My partner and I have two rental properties in Denver and we cash flow $500 to $600 on each one.  It would only take a few more opportunities like this to subsidize my salary working in education (helps to have a low bar) and bonus, to have the freedom to work from anywhere on my own time.  However, the Denver market has become out of my reach and I am looking to explore other markets in and OUT of Colorado.  I have a lot to learn and looking forward to network with the BP community and possibly partner with fellow investors.  

I have two goals, 1) to be financially stable with a career in REI and 2) to give back to lower income and disadvantaged communities. I realize providing affordable housing to lower income and disadvantaged communities is not a money maker, but that is not the point. Everyone has the right to live in a safe, healthy, and affordable home. We all benefit when more people have a place to call home.

Look forward to meeting you!

3Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Dan MackinBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Erie, CO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 512 votes
8y

Welcome to the site @Jennifer Ward. Since you're looking for some networking you should come join us next week for the Denver Gathering. Great way to get your foot in the door and grow your network. 

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/49...

There's also a great group a little further south if you're down that way on Tuesday next week.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/49...

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dan MackinBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Erie, CO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 512 votes
    8y

    Welcome to the site @Jennifer Ward. Since you're looking for some networking you should come join us next week for the Denver Gathering. Great way to get your foot in the door and grow your network. 

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/49...

    There's also a great group a little further south if you're down that way on Tuesday next week.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/49...

  • Dave VisayaPro Member
    Moderator
    Audio Engineer and Investor · Cebu City, Cebu · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 881 votes
    8y

    Hello @Jennifer Ward, glad to have you here! Let us know how we can help! And you should jump in, the community is pretty great here. You'll love it :)

    BiggerPockets
  • Jennifer WardPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 94 posts · 42 votes
    8y

    Thanks @Dan Mackin for notifying me about the local real estate meetup groups.  I definitely hope to attend on Monday and look forward to meeting you and others.  

    @Dave Visaya, thanks for the warm welcome.  Looks to be a very open and supportive community.

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2012 · 268 posts · 164 votes
    8y

    Jennifer, I love your focus on community and giving back!! The fact is, by how you live your life and conduct your business you will be given many opportunities to do so. Example: I just sold a home which, if I pushed really hard, could have gotten $10-20K more for it. BUT, I helped a young, newly married couple who got the city grant money work through the sale by owner, and now they have a really lovely starter home. This gives me great joy! Also, in one of my buildings, the people there, inspired by our relationships, have formed a "community". They tell me this every time they pay rent. "We're watching out for your home! We are helping our neighbor!" etc. That is a real tear jerker! Not to mention the little choices when doing a flip, such as "should we do it the RIGHT way or the OK way?". It's great to create a life where making a difference and providing excellent homes is a core value. Over time, your product will reflect your decisions. Good luck with your new career and don't let little downturns get you "down". Put a savings account together to cover the inevitable challenges. Then GO FOR IT!!! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 880 votes
    8y

    Welcome Jennifer! So you are interested in out of state investing? I've been doing it for quite some time if you were looking to get into it I can give you some pointers if you would like.

  • Jennifer WardPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 94 posts · 42 votes
    8y

    That is so great to hear @Kelly Sennholz of the community you have built, that is exactly what I inspire to do and I appreciate the encouraging words. I tried to be more active in REI in the past but just didn't have this resource to learn about other avenues. I definetly feel more motivated and encouraged to take my current investing to the next level.

    Thank you @Matt Motil I will definitely take you up on that offer!

  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 602 posts · 250 votes
    8y

    Nice! Welcome to BP @Jennifer Ward!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.