Newbie from Elizabeth, New Jersey

Newbie from Elizabeth, New Jersey

- · Member since 2017 · 164 posts · 43 votes

Hello all! My name is Avegail. I'm from Elizabeth, New Jersey. I am just getting started in real estate investing and am interested in partnering up with anyone who is buying and managing small rental properties. As a User Experience Designer, my job is to make websites, apps, and products simple, visually appealing, and user-friendly.

My goal is to buy my first rental property (duplex, triplex, or 4-plex) by August 2018. I would also like to house hack if living in the property chops off 20 minutes of my commute to work. Ultimately I would like to achieve financial independence by 35.

Before the summer, I attended a free real estate guru event and hesitantly signed up for the $2000 weekend seminar. Skeptical about this seminar, my boyfriend did some Google research and found a post on the BiggerPockets forum stating that you can get the education on here for free. I cancelled my reservation and have been listening to the podcasts ever since.

In the past month, I've decided to get serious about taking action. I've been listening to the BiggerPockets podcast on my commute to and from work. I'm on the last chapter of the Ultimate Beginners Guide. I joined my local real estate club about 2 weeks ago and volunteered to redesign their website. I'm working to get the first version of my business plan done within the next week.

I'm currently studying what areas around me are good to buy property in. I'm looking at neighborhoodscout.com but please let me know what strategies you have in analyzing and choosing the areas to invest in.

I look forward to networking with you.

- Avegail

7Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 911 votes
8y

Welcome to Bigger Pockets. 

Good luck with investing! 

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Stamford, CT · Member since 2018 · 91 posts · 34 votes
    8y

    The super didn’t show up, I couldn’t see the basement either nor the roof.

    The broker was trying to pretty much sell cat in the hat.

    I documented all in my blog. StudyGuide.net/real-estate feel free to check it out.  

  • Stamford, CT · Member since 2018 · 91 posts · 34 votes
    8y

    i found out something really interesting about that property that I have seen in Elizabeth NJ.  I shared some more of my findings in my secret blog.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.