Newbie in Kansas City Looking to Learn & Connect

Newbie in Kansas City Looking to Learn & Connect

Kearney, MO · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 4 votes

Hello fellow BP'ers! I grew up and live in the Kansas City, MO area. I am a Project Manager for a builder of high end custom homes. I love my job and all things residential! Out of high school my goal was to become an architect and interior designer/decorator, but when I finished my associates degree, the solar industry fell into my lap and I ended up becoming a Project Manager for a solar installation company over the next 7 years. As of 2017, I have left that industry and have been working towards my original goal of interior design. I have always wanted to flip houses, especially ones that need some TLC to bring them back to beautiful. When doing research on flipping, I came across Bigger Pockets and it has opened up a whole new world for me! I am excited to see what I can learn and achieve through this community, and to connecting with you all, especially the locals in my area. I welcome any advice and guidance as I begin the process of buying my first rental property. It is a 3 bedroom, 1 bath in Excelsior Springs, MO, listed at $60,000.

3Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 749 posts · 399 votes
8y

@Harmony Souders welcome to BP. I have been a buy and hold investor since 2005 but this site is where I learned all things (academically) flipping wise. We closed on our seventh property, in seven months, today.  Prior to starting to flip full time I spent a year studying and learning the aspects of flipping: how to find deals, deal analysis, making offers, the renovation process and timeline, and staging/marketing.  This study paid huge dividends. Next, I proceeded to get my Real Estate license and then shortly after my general contractor license. For me, this process was very beneficial.

All that being said - my story isn't your story. You won't follow my path but I encourage you to do these four things and you will be successful.

1. Never stop learning. (expand your network too) 

2. Treat people fairly, be honest, and do the right thing.(your reputation is everything)

3. Work hard and learn from your mistakes.

4. Trust the process. (The first deal is the hardest. By deal five you will laugh at what scared you on deal one and the mistakes you made in the beginning)

Best of luck to you!  

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • CA · Member since 2017 · 153 posts · 74 votes
    8y
    you should talk to @Dan Krupa
  • Real Estate Broker · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 749 posts · 399 votes
    8y

    @Harmony Souders welcome to BP. I have been a buy and hold investor since 2005 but this site is where I learned all things (academically) flipping wise. We closed on our seventh property, in seven months, today.  Prior to starting to flip full time I spent a year studying and learning the aspects of flipping: how to find deals, deal analysis, making offers, the renovation process and timeline, and staging/marketing.  This study paid huge dividends. Next, I proceeded to get my Real Estate license and then shortly after my general contractor license. For me, this process was very beneficial.

    All that being said - my story isn't your story. You won't follow my path but I encourage you to do these four things and you will be successful.

    1. Never stop learning. (expand your network too) 

    2. Treat people fairly, be honest, and do the right thing.(your reputation is everything)

    3. Work hard and learn from your mistakes.

    4. Trust the process. (The first deal is the hardest. By deal five you will laugh at what scared you on deal one and the mistakes you made in the beginning)

    Best of luck to you!  

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    @Harmony Souders

    Welcome to the BP family! Great that you joined the site! Here are some recommendations for you:

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet
    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
    Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing
    Check out BP Podcasts: http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/podcast/

    If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select the name of that person which should appear below the comments box. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

    Wishing you the best!

  • Saint Charles, MO · Member since 2014 · 102 posts · 32 votes
    8y

    @Harmony Souders welcome! 

    I’m in the St. Louis area! Always nice to meet someone from a closer area!

    A few suggestions to get the most out of the site...

    1. Pay for the Pro membership! You shows your serious, you have access to all kinds of useful tools, and you can go back and replay any webinars. Which for your goals I’m sure you’ll find something useful!

    2. Listen to the podcasts! Tons of great information from people with a ton of experience!

    3. Network like crazy! Go to local REI meet ups, post on the forums, get your name out there!

    Hope this helps, and welcome!

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2017 · 506 posts · 404 votes
    8y

    WOW!  You're getting great advice!  Most folks don't get this lucky!  lol  I totally agree with them, except for the going Pro part, wait until the next webinar (Wednesday) as he's been handing out discounts for Pro memberships at the webinars.  The discount codes usually last until midnight Friday.  But I TOTALLY think you should go Pro!  If you are serious about investing, you'll appreciate those calculators!  lol  

    Btw, as a newbie, I had trouble figuring out how to watch the webinars.  Pre-register (in the webinars section), then a little bit before the webinar, check your e-mail (or junk mail) for a message from Brandon Turner.  It will have the link to the webinar.  I couldn't figure this out and asked Support repeatedly for help in accessing the webinars live.  They were nice, but couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.  No one told me there was just an e-mail with a link.  lol

    Thanks for being there for new members, @Justin Dossey, @Dmitriy Fomichenko, @Dan Krupa, and @Hau N.!

  • Kearney, MO · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Thanks so much everyone for the advice! I greatly appreciate it. Look forward to seeing you around the site and connecting with those that are local. I would definitely love to discuss deal analysis together on my first one. I will post the details of it later and hopefully we can help me break it down together. Thanks again! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 880 votes
    8y

    Welcome @Harmony Souders, that first deal will have you hooked! Keep us updated how it goes.

  • Investor/RE Broker · Eugene, OR · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 968 votes
    8y

    @Harmony Souders Hi and welcome to BP and the world of REI!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 712 votes
    8y

    Welcome to BP, if you want to connect live and face to face, I think there is a northland BP investors group and the local REIA (MAREI) meets Tuesday night November 14th in Overland Park from 6 to 9pm. There will be 100 plus in attendance.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.