Starting out in the Lakeland/Tampa, FL area

11 Replies

Hey BiggerPockets members, 

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Michael Bearden, Im 30 years old and live in Lakeland, FL. I have successfully completed one real estate investment deal where I lived in the house for two years as I slowly renovated it. I initially purchased the property for $164,000 with an FHA loan by convincing the company I work for to loan me the money for the down payment and closing costs. I was very thin on money but was able to recognize the opportunity thanks to BP and other real estate knowledge I had obtained. When all was said and done, I sold and profited $67,000. What an amazing feeling to see the risk and hard work really pay off.

Now that I have been able to save money as well as profit from my first deal, I am looking to build my buy and hold portfolio with the hopes of being financially free in the next decade. I am looking to connect with RE Agents, wholesalers, and other investors in the hopes that we can build a mutually beneficial relationship. My main focus as of now is learning how to find deals. If you are in the Lakeland/Tampa area and would like to connect, feel free to message! Thank you all for your time. Take care.

@Michael Bearden congratulations!  What an awesome first profit!  I focus a lot of my time in the Lakeland/Auburndale markets. 

Do you know what type of Buy and hold Properties you are looking for?  This is important and will help prevent shinny object.  

Hi @Michael Bearden and welcome to BiggerPockets.  Congratulations on your success so far!  The road map for real estate investing success can be found right here.  Connect with experienced investors, learn everything you can, and get deals done correctly. Congratulations, you came to the right place. I wish you all the success on your journey.

Hi @Michael Bearden ,

Congrats on your first deal. It will be just one of many. I'd be more than happy to connect, and share any info I have. I am first and foremost a Realtor, but I'm also a RE investor and developer. I own two condos, which I've bought to hold, and instead of flipping, I went straight to building. I've gotten 8 pieces of land, which I either plan to build on, or flip. 

Good luck!

Originally posted by @Adrian Smude :

@Michael Bearden congratulations!  What an awesome first profit!  I focus a lot of my time in the Lakeland/Auburndale markets. 

Do you know what type of Buy and hold Properties you are looking for?  This is important and will help prevent shinny object.  

Hey Adrain, I'm interested in SFR and residential multifamily properties. I don't have an extreme amount of capital, so I'm looking for somewhat distressed homes, in a relatively good rental market, that I can gain equity when I buy and rehab. I'll do a cash-out refinance once a tenant is secured to get back money, so I can repeat. That is my goal as of now. One of my issues at the moment is not knowing much about the rental markets in my area. I am always open to advice and input!

For the Lakeland market I actually think the trulia crime map is a good guideline. Of course you’ll need to do more research. This is a very important criteria to have in my opinion, personally I don’t typically buy in the higher crime areas because they typically come with more management/time. 
Reach out if I can help in anyway. 

Originally posted by @Michael Bearden :
Originally posted by @Armindo Gonzalez Jr:

Let’s chat! I’m a Realtor and wholesaler and would like the opportunity to work with you!

Hey Armindo, I just sent you a colleague request. Thanks for reaching out. Let's chat.

Thank you all for the welcoming comments.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you