New Member from Greater Pittsburgh Area (Western PA)

New Member from Greater Pittsburgh Area (Western PA)

Sarver, PA · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 8 votes

Hello Bigger Pockets Community,

I am Derrick Lumsden, and I am a new investor. I purchased my first single family in Northern Allegheny County (Tarentum, PA) in October and am running it as a buy and hold rental. I have a local mentor who is helping me along the way (at one point he owned 25 rental units), and I purchased the unit by financing through him. I am in real estate as an investment and side business as I have a full time job and a rather large family with 5 boys all under 10 years old.

My long term goal is financial independence by having a passive income that could replace my current income. I think I could achieve that with 12-18 units after I paid off their mortgages. I have no intention of quitting my day job, but I like the idea of being able to have the back stop and freedom. So I am here to play the long game.

I am looking to expand my rental business with more purchases in the new year. I am interested in small multifamily as my next purchase. I like the idea of the economies of scale and there seems to be a fair amount of that stock in the area.

I am looking to participate in the bigger pockets community for networking, advice, and mutual support.

2Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2017 · 155 posts · 151 votes
8y
Good to meet you Derrick! Glad to hear you’ve already acquired your first rental!
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Daniel HymanBusiness Member
    CPA · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Derrick Lumsden Welcome to BP and congrats on the new property. How did you find it?
    My Online Accountant572 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2017 · 155 posts · 151 votes
    8y
    Good to meet you Derrick! Glad to hear you’ve already acquired your first rental!
  • Sarver, PA · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    @Daniel Hyman, thanks. Glad to be able to be a part of such a great community. I found the house through my mentor/friend. He had owned the house and sold it. The person who bought it was looking to sell; decided Landlording was not for him. 

  • Sarver, PA · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    @Jonathan McGee, thanks. Me too. I am a jump in and learn as I go kinda guy, so I really am a bit over my head. But I prefer to err on the side of action. But even then pulling the trigger has been very nerve wracking. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 69 posts · 13 votes
    8y
    Welcome to the area, Derrick! I’m a local Realtor and would be happy to help you with your investing needs. Let me know how I can help and let’s grow that business! To your success, Matt Bonosky
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.