Hello from Marquette, MI / Minneapolis, MN

Hello from Marquette, MI / Minneapolis, MN

Marquette, MI · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 3 votes

Hello,

I'm new here after listening to quite a few of the BP podcasts and deciding I wanted to go a little deeper. 

Background: I purchased my first duplex in Marquette, MI with partners (~2 years ago) using seller financing and just refinanced with a local bank this past spring. It's in a very central location in a very rural town but we have a university and a brand new hospital nearby so the rental market is strong. We're currently in the process of fixing it up as we can and search for our next deal whether that's another rental, fix and flip or something else.

Since listening to BP I've learned a handful of things we did wrong on the first deal (probably should have fixed the property up before refinancing with a bank but we were afraid to do work on it until we "owned" it). 

Although I am primarily based in Michigan's Upper Peninsula I consider Minneapolis to be a home as well and am super interested in investing there. 


At this point I'm just trying to learn as much as I can, make connections and do better on the next one!

2Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Hugo, MN · Member since 2016 · 688 posts · 596 votes
8y
Welcome, thanks for sharing your experience. The BP community of shared experiences help everyone acquire more knowledge. There is often more to learn from mistakes than from perfect properties.
See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Hugo, MN · Member since 2016 · 688 posts · 596 votes
    8y
    Welcome, thanks for sharing your experience. The BP community of shared experiences help everyone acquire more knowledge. There is often more to learn from mistakes than from perfect properties.
  • Tim SwierczekPro Member
    Lender · White Bear Township, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Jeremy Johnson We have all made mistakes and we continue to do so, but hopefully at a much slower rate.  Keep learning and sharing.

  • Dave VisayaPro Member
    Moderator
    Audio Engineer and Investor · Cebu City, Cebu · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 881 votes
    8y

    Hello @Jeremy Johnson, glad to have you here! Let us know how we can help! And you should jump in, the community is pretty great here. You'll love it :)

    BiggerPockets
  • Real Estate Agent · Port Huron, MI · Member since 2012 · 295 posts · 82 votes
    8y

    Welcome to BP!

  • Saint Cloud, MN · Member since 2017 · 90 posts · 70 votes
    8y

    Awesome! I really like the Bigger Pockets community. It is very supportive, helpful, and an excellent resource to gain knowledge.

    I wish you lots of success!

  • Investor · Northern Michigan · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    Hey Jeremy. I am an investor in Marquette. I would like meet some time.

  • Kingsland, TX · Member since 2018 · 164 posts · 86 votes
    6y

    Hi, @Jeremy Johnson! Welcome to the BiggerPockets community! How did you hear about the BiggerPockets podcasts?

  • Cory HowesPro Member
    Investor · Marquette · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    Hey Jeremy, Do you still have the Duplex in Marquette? Rents have sky rocketed in the last two years. Wondering how the investment has been going. We are looking to partner and or expand our portfolio. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.