New OOS RE Investor from Oceanside, CA

New OOS RE Investor from Oceanside, CA

Oceanside, CA · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 5 votes

Greetings BP family! My name is Robert Decraene (Rob) and I've been living in Oceanside, CA for the last 2 years; however, I've lived in southern California most of my life. I am also a family man with a 2 year old daughter. Last month I finished the BP Book on Rental Property Investing and flipped the proverbial switch toward becoming a RE investor. I want to become more involved in the forums now that I feel like I understand some foundational RE investing basics, and I figured the new member introductions section would be the best place to begin. 

Although I live in Oceanside, I am mostly looking to invest in out-of-state single and multi-family rental properties. My primary goal this year is to have my first property purchased and rented out by the end of 2018. I am a certified project management professional (PMP) and a tax analyst/auditor by profession, but I've played around with the idea of accepting a pay cut to work somewhere in the real estate industry. I have saved a decent amount of money to begin investing in properties outside California, and I'm trying to read and absorb as much RE knowledge as I can to ensure my first purchase is a success. I am really excited about this new chapter in my life and I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you across the site. Cheers!

-Rob 

1Reply
65 views

Most Popular Reply

Sharad M.Pro Member
Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y

Hi @Robert Decraene

If there is anything I can help with, please let me know.

Sharad

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · encinitas, CA · Member since 2009 · 24 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    Hey Robert,

    My husband and I bought our first rental properties in Oceanside about 15 yrs ago and SO glad we did!  We have seen Oceanside grow quite a bit since then.  I still think Oceanside is great if you are betting on appreciation since it is still one of the only "affordable" beach cities in San Diego County.  The only problem is it is VERY hard to make the numbers work unless you have a large down payment. 

    When we were priced out of the market we began investing in Salt Lake City and most recently Phoenix markets which have done well for us.

    It sounds like you have more than enough knowledge to make this real estate investing work for you!

    Good luck and keep us posted!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.