Cash out refinance options

Cash out refinance options

Dekalb, IL · Member since 2013 · 4 posts · 3 votes

I am currently rehabbing an REO property that I paid cash for. Once it is finished, I am going to keep it as a rental property. Obviously I want to get my money back out of the property so that I can invest it in more properties. Why is it that NO ONE will refinance unless you have owned the home for a year? How is anyone supposed to invest if they have to tie their money up for an entire year? I certainly don't want to pay a hard money investor 15% plus points for a year...anyone have any luck??? Or answers for that matter?

1Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
8y
Originally posted by @Account Closed:
Originally posted by @Alexander Felice:

delayed financing is 75% and no seasoning. add your rehab to the settlement statement and you can get it all back at once.

 Wait, so you can finance the rehab cost for delayed seasoning?  So if I buy a house 50k, put in 25k, I can cash out (50k * 0.75 + 25k) immediately after the rehab? 

 yes. commonly overlooked for some reason

the rule is 75% LTV or 100% of HUD

so before you close on the house, get the rehab invoice to the closing attorney and have them put it on the hud. then you pay UP FRONT and the disburse through escrow.

then when you go to rehab, your settlement statement is cash outlay plus rehab. I recommend lining up this with your lender before hand so everyone knows the strategy going into the deal.

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Harjeet BhattiPro Member
    Lender · Glenview IL- CDLP NMLS#230554 · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 747 votes
    8y

    @Mckinley Baggett  You can cash out as soon as you finish rehab under delayed financing exception.  You don't have to wait because spend cash initially.  But you can cash out whatever you spend initially. After 6 month you can cash out 75% of appraisal value for 1 unit. 

  • Investor · Hyattsville, MD · Member since 2012 · 822 posts · 441 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Harjeet Bhatti:

    @Mckinley Baggett  You can cash out as soon as you finish rehab under delayed financing exception.  You don't have to wait because spend cash initially.  But you can cash out whatever you spend initially. After 6 month you can cash out 75% of appraisal value for 1 unit. 

     Can you clarify your language? Isn't it the original purchase price only that you can refinance under the delayed refinance option, not "whatever you spend initially" on rehab and purchase price. Because I can spend 40k on a paint job (if I wanted to) and no lender would cover that expense under delayed financing exception loan on top of my purchase price.

    @Mckinley baggett My standard practice is to wait 6 months to get the cash out refi per lender seasoning requirements so I could get the unit appraised and take out the ARV vs. only the initial price. I have 1-2 months for rehab and then time for placing a tenant, so it comes pretty soon after so its not a unreasonable wait. Also, you can engage your lender early 45-60 days out to begin underwriting the loan from the 6 month requirement and arrange settlement to occur right around the 6 month mark. That saves another 1-2 months of waiting for underwriting that has to be done regardless.

  • Financial Advisor · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2017 · 173 posts · 58 votes
    8y

    @Mckinley Baggett - You have options within the commercial lending space.  You can get up to 75% of appraised value after 6 months and up to 70% after one month.  Every lender has different seasoning requirements.  But there are options.

  • Harjeet BhattiPro Member
    Lender · Glenview IL- CDLP NMLS#230554 · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 747 votes
    8y

    @Jeff Bridges  Lets say you purchase this house for $30000+closing cost=  $33000. You spend on rehab $10000. Your appraisal is around $50000*70%= $35000. You spend initially $33000 so that will be max cash out for you. 

  • Lender · Frederick/ Falls Church DC, Maryland & Virginia · Member since 2014 · 794 posts · 612 votes
    8y

    Try small local banks, their seasoning periods are usually 6 months or so.  Once you build a report, it can be even quicker.

    Also many hard money lenders have rental hybrid products now.  Better to use that option at the beginning of the project vs refi'ing into one but it is an option.  Lastly the days of 15% plus points are long gone unless you are looking for 100% financing or have horrific credit.  Hard money cash out refi in this case should be 8-9.5% and 1-2 points.  

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 861 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Harjeet Bhatti:

    @Mckinley Baggett  You can cash out as soon as you finish rehab under delayed financing exception.  You don't have to wait because spend cash initially.  But you can cash out whatever you spend initially. After 6 month you can cash out 75% of appraisal value for 1 unit. 

    Hi Harjeet, 

    MB (your bank) actually told me their seasoning is 1 year, is that a state-by-state thing or did maybe I misunderstand? 

  • Real Estate Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Harjeet Bhatti:

    @Mckinley Baggett  You can cash out as soon as you finish rehab under delayed financing exception.  You don't have to wait because spend cash initially.  But you can cash out whatever you spend initially. After 6 month you can cash out 75% of appraisal value for 1 unit. 

    Hi Harjeet, 

    MB (your bank) actually told me their seasoning is 1 year, is that a state-by-state thing or did maybe I misunderstand? 

     There is no seasoning ever for the delayed financing exception assuming you paid cash for a property.

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 861 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Brian Garrett:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Harjeet Bhatti:

    @Mckinley Baggett  You can cash out as soon as you finish rehab under delayed financing exception.  You don't have to wait because spend cash initially.  But you can cash out whatever you spend initially. After 6 month you can cash out 75% of appraisal value for 1 unit. 

    Hi Harjeet, 

    MB (your bank) actually told me their seasoning is 1 year, is that a state-by-state thing or did maybe I misunderstand? 

     There is no seasoning ever for the delayed financing exception assuming you paid cash for a property.

    I meant 1 year seasoning for a cash-out refinance based on post-rehab appraised value for a property bought with cash.  Sorry should have been clearer.  

  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    delayed financing is 75% and no seasoning. add your rehab to the settlement statement and you can get it all back at once.

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 861 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Alexander Felice:

    delayed financing is 75% and no seasoning. add your rehab to the settlement statement and you can get it all back at once.

     Wait, so you can finance the rehab cost for delayed seasoning?  So if I buy a house 50k, put in 25k, I can cash out (50k * 0.75 + 25k) immediately after the rehab? 

    Typo: I meant to write "delayed financing" 

  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Alexander Felice:

    delayed financing is 75% and no seasoning. add your rehab to the settlement statement and you can get it all back at once.

     Wait, so you can finance the rehab cost for delayed seasoning?  So if I buy a house 50k, put in 25k, I can cash out (50k * 0.75 + 25k) immediately after the rehab? 

     yes. commonly overlooked for some reason

    the rule is 75% LTV or 100% of HUD

    so before you close on the house, get the rehab invoice to the closing attorney and have them put it on the hud. then you pay UP FRONT and the disburse through escrow.

    then when you go to rehab, your settlement statement is cash outlay plus rehab. I recommend lining up this with your lender before hand so everyone knows the strategy going into the deal.

  • Harjeet BhattiPro Member
    Lender · Glenview IL- CDLP NMLS#230554 · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 747 votes
    8y

    @Nicky Reader No you can refinance under delayed financing exception any time. Otherwise after 6 month on appraisal value. We lend in 46 States, Ohio is one that State. 

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 861 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Harjeet Bhatti:

    @Nicky Reader No you can refinance under delayed financing exception any time. Otherwise after 6 month on appraisal value. We lend in 46 States, Ohio is one that State. 

     Thanks. I wonder why my MB guy told me it was 1 year for on appraisal value. Had to go with a different bank. 

  • Dekalb, IL · Member since 2013 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    Wow. I really would like to thank all of the people that replied to my post. All of the replies or very insightful  and inspiring. Good luck on your next deals.

  • bethel, CT · Member since 2015 · 335 posts · 57 votes
    7y
    @Harjeet Bhatti Does your bank allow to add rehab to the settlement statement to get it all back in the refinance?
  • Harjeet BhattiPro Member
    Lender · Glenview IL- CDLP NMLS#230554 · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 747 votes
    7y

    @Ryan Keenan We will lend on livable condition properties only.  

  • bethel, CT · Member since 2015 · 335 posts · 57 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Harjeet Bhatti:

    @Ryan Keenan We will lend on livable condition properties only.  

     Are you able to refinace the rehab costs out with delayed financing once the rehab is complete. 

    If you can read above what Alexander felice does? Would this work with your bank?

  • Harjeet BhattiPro Member
    Lender · Glenview IL- CDLP NMLS#230554 · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 747 votes
    7y

    @Ryan Keenan No we won't.

  • bethel, CT · Member since 2015 · 335 posts · 57 votes
    7y
    @Alexander Felice Where can you find a bank that will add the rehab costs in delayed financing? Been looking everywhere Thanks!
  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ryan Keenan:
    @Alexander Felice Where can you find a bank that will add the rehab costs in delayed financing? Been looking everywhere Thanks!

    bank shouldn't matter much. Ask them if they will lend on line 120 of HUD-1 (..pretty sure it's 120)

    This process is a bit out of the box, which lenders are not usually a fan of. Bankers love IN THE BOX processes, so it might take some relationship building. I have written about this topic extensively, much of it on the BP blog ;)

  • bethel, CT · Member since 2015 · 335 posts · 57 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Alexander Felice:
    Originally posted by @Ryan Keenan:
    @Alexander Felice Where can you find a bank that will add the rehab costs in delayed financing? Been looking everywhere Thanks!

    bank shouldn't matter much. Ask them if they will lend on line 120 of HUD-1 (..pretty sure it's 120)

    This process is a bit out of the box, which lenders are not usually a fan of. Bankers love IN THE BOX processes, so it might take some relationship building. I have written about this topic extensively, much of it on the BP blog ;)

     Thanks for your response and I really enjoyed your podcast!

    Is there a difference in just going to a portfolio lender who has 0 to 30 day seasoning? Why didnt you go that route?

    Thanks!

  • Specialist · Louisville, KY · Member since 2017 · 166 posts · 154 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Alexander Felice:

    delayed financing is 75% and no seasoning. add your rehab to the settlement statement and you can get it all back at once.

     @Alexander Felice I'm reincarnating this thread. If I understand this correctly (and I'm going to go back and re-listen to #301)… your approach is genius. A few questions so I'm clear: 1. If I buy a house for $55k, it needs $25k in reno, I'll throw BOTH the $55k on as the Contract Sales Price and the $25k to cover the quote from my contractor for the entire reno budget on as Settlement Charges to Buyer, bringing the Gross Amount Due from Buyer to $80k. As long as the appraisal is $106,666.67 or higher ($80k/0.75) I'll be able to pull all $80k back out via delayed financing? 2. Any reason why, if you have a line of credit purchasing this (and no mortgage from the original purchase) that this wouldn't work? and 3. I assume this is regardless of state since it's Fannie/Freddie? 

    Thanks in advance. 

    Kyle

  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Kyle Schlosser:
    Originally posted by @Alexander Felice:

    delayed financing is 75% and no seasoning. add your rehab to the settlement statement and you can get it all back at once.

     @Alexander Felice I'm reincarnating this thread. If I understand this correctly (and I'm going to go back and re-listen to #301)… your approach is genius. A few questions so I'm clear: 1. If I buy a house for $55k, it needs $25k in reno, I'll throw BOTH the $55k on as the Contract Sales Price and the $25k to cover the quote from my contractor for the entire reno budget on as Settlement Charges to Buyer, bringing the Gross Amount Due from Buyer to $80k. As long as the appraisal is $106,666.67 or higher ($80k/0.75) I'll be able to pull all $80k back out via delayed financing? 2. Any reason why, if you have a line of credit purchasing this (and no mortgage from the original purchase) that this wouldn't work? and 3. I assume this is regardless of state since it's Fannie/Freddie? 

    Thanks in advance. 

    Kyle

    this is correct.

    you can use a line of credit as long as it's YOURS (HELOC, SDIRA, etc). you cannot use hard money or outsided borrowed funds. the lender will source the payment origination.

    and yes it's a fannie mae product so state doesn't matter 

  • Specialist · Louisville, KY · Member since 2017 · 166 posts · 154 votes
    7y

    @Alexander Felice Awesome. May be a stretch of a question, but, if an SDIRA is used, are you barred from personally collecting cash flow that the rentals kick off (meaning, does 100% of ALL revenue/profit have to go back into the IRA)? Thank you again, Alex.

  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Kyle Schlosser:

    @Alexander Felice Awesome. May be a stretch of a question, but, if an SDIRA is used, are you barred from personally collecting cash flow that the rentals kick off (meaning, does 100% of ALL revenue/profit have to go back into the IRA)? Thank you again, Alex.

     this is not an area I'm familiar with. I believe what you said is correct, you cannot personally take profits from the SDIRA but you should talk to someone who really knows. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.