Newbie Investor from Pasadena, California. Hello there!

Newbie Investor from Pasadena, California. Hello there!

Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 4 votes

Hello BiggerPockets Community!

I am a newer real estate investor from Pasadena, CA (Los Angeles) and I am looking to network with you folks! I am really eager to start investing in real estate and can't wait to connect with everyone.

What are you all interested in? What drives you here? Let's network!

1Reply
62 views

Most Popular Reply

Malibu, CA · Member since 2018 · 77 posts · 32 votes
8y

Hey Bradford. I'm a Realtor out of Malibu! Trying to gain more knowledge about investing for myself and my clients. Also offering up my transaction and real estate knowledge to anyone that needs it :)

Glad to have you on BP!

See this reply in the discussion

23 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Malibu, CA · Member since 2018 · 77 posts · 32 votes
    8y

    Hey Bradford. I'm a Realtor out of Malibu! Trying to gain more knowledge about investing for myself and my clients. Also offering up my transaction and real estate knowledge to anyone that needs it :)

    Glad to have you on BP!

  • Christian BachelderBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Marina del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 105 posts · 25 votes
    8y
    Hi Bradford and welcome! BP is a great resource to investors, new and seasoned. I am a RE agent and mortgage broker in Los Angeles and operate a lot in the San Fernando Valley. Also getting into the game of real estate investing myself lately. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions you may have. Good luck!
  • Jerome MorelosPro Member
    Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 205 posts · 88 votes
    8y
    Welcome to Biggerpockets!
  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Bradford Ortlund:

    Hello BiggerPockets Community!

    I am a newer real estate investor from Pasadena, CA (Los Angeles) and I am looking to network with you folks! I am really eager to start investing in real estate and can't wait to connect with everyone.

    What are you all interested in? What drives you here? Let's network!

     Hello and welcome! Best of luck to you!

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 500 votes
    8y

    Welcome. Happy to share my knowledge about investing or answer questions about short sales, foreclosure prevention, or other loss mitigation work out options. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 880 votes
    8y

    Welcome to BP @Bradford Ortlund! Best of luck to you! 

  • Nabil SuleimanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 596 posts · 299 votes
    8y

    @Bradford Ortlund

    Welcome to BP, im local with you, let's connect over coffee?

  • Logan AllecBusiness Member
    Accountant · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 980 votes
    8y

    Welcome, @Bradford Ortlund

    SoCal can be a tough nut to crack for newbies.

    A couple years ago I mailed out lots of letters to homeowners in LA County with no luck.

    Then I tried rural Kern County and got a deal from a distressed homeowner in California City.

    The margins were not as large as they would've been in LA or OC, but I was able to rent it out for 2 years before fixing it up and selling it for a decent gain.

    Also, have you considered an owner-occupied small multifamily for your first deal?

    You only need to put 3.5% down, so cashwise it won't get in the way of other real estate goals you may have.

    My first deal was a 4-unit up I bought with FHA 3.5% in Santa Clarita.

    I lived for free (as opposed to paying rent) + enjoyed cash flow + built equity. It was a great investment (and still is).

    Good luck!

    Clarita CPA Group516 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    Hey @Bradford Ortlund

    I'm a new investor in SoCal looking to network, feel free to contact me and we'll chat.

    -Navid 

  • Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Samuel Pawlitzki:

    Hey Bradford. I'm a Realtor out of Malibu! Trying to gain more knowledge about investing for myself and my clients. Also offering up my transaction and real estate knowledge to anyone that needs it :)

    Glad to have you on BP!

     Thanks Samuel, I'm glad to make your acquaintance! From your profile it looks like you do a lot of agent work if you have the time i'd love to learn more about the type of work you specialize in. Feel free to PM me if you have the time. Looking forward to connecting with you!

  • Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Christian Bachelder:

    Hi Bradford and welcome!
    BP is a great resource to investors, new and seasoned.

    I am a RE agent and mortgage broker in Los Angeles and operate a lot in the San Fernando Valley. Also getting into the game of real estate investing myself lately. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions you may have. Good luck!

     Hi Christian!

    Thank you for reaching out, I would like to connect with you and hear more about what you do in the area. Feel free to PM me and we can figure something out!

  • Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jerome Morelos:

    Welcome to Biggerpockets!

     Thanks Jerome!

  • Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Tom Ott:
    Originally posted by @Bradford Ortlund:

    Hello BiggerPockets Community!

    I am a newer real estate investor from Pasadena, CA (Los Angeles) and I am looking to network with you folks! I am really eager to start investing in real estate and can't wait to connect with everyone.

    What are you all interested in? What drives you here? Let's network!

     Hello and welcome! Best of luck to you!

     Thank you Tom!

    Looking forward to working with you!

  • Renter · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2018 · 278 posts · 71 votes
    8y

    Bradford, welcome to the community! I just signed up less than a week ago and it's led to over 100 emails/messages/texts with and from states, cities, brokers, lenders, buyers, title companies, etc. Everyone is so helpful and I love that creative solutions are almost endless in Real Estate. Never give up, John

  • Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Brett Goldsmith:

    Welcome. Happy to share my knowledge about investing or answer questions about short sales, foreclosure prevention, or other loss mitigation work out options. 

     Hi Brett,

    Thank you for reaching out! I would like to connect with you, I am not well versed with the areas you specialize in but would like to know more about them especially since you seem to be an expert from what your profile says. Feel free to PM me and we can figure a time to connect

  • Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Matt Motil:

    Welcome to BP @Bradford Ortlund! Best of luck to you! 

     Hi Matt,

    Thank you! I would like to set a time to talk about some of the work you do in the Ohio area. I browsed your site and would like to know more about your process. Let me know if you would be free to connect in the coming week or so.

  • Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Nabil Suleiman:

    @Bradford Ortlund

    Welcome to BP, im local with you, let's connect over coffee?

     Hi Nabil,

    Let's connect feel free to PM me and we can set something up. I am looking forward to speaking with you.

  • Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Logan Allec:

    Welcome, @Bradford Ortlund

    SoCal can be a tough nut to crack for newbies.

    A couple years ago I mailed out lots of letters to homeowners in LA County with no luck.

    Then I tried rural Kern County and got a deal from a distressed homeowner in California City.

    The margins were not as large as they would've been in LA or OC, but I was able to rent it out for 2 years before fixing it up and selling it for a decent gain.

    Also, have you considered an owner-occupied small multifamily for your first deal?

    You only need to put 3.5% down, so cashwise it won't get in the way of other real estate goals you may have.

    My first deal was a 4-unit up I bought with FHA 3.5% in Santa Clarita.

    I lived for free (as opposed to paying rent) + enjoyed cash flow + built equity. It was a great investment (and still is).

    Good luck!

     Hi Logan,

    I hear you on that! it seems like a tough market to find good rentals in, so my thoughts have been that the market may be better for the wholesale/rehab/commercial scene. Again I am new but would love to hear your thoughts. My wife and I are considering the live in multiunit with an FHA option but aren't really sure where we should start. I'm also looking into a lot of rentals in the midwest but am having trouble figuring out how to finance the deals and learning how to utilize an entity in the process of owning the properties. I would love to hear your thoughts, especially with your CPA background. If you are free i would love to connect and discuss.

  • Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Navid Sadighi:

    Hey @Bradford Ortlund

    I'm a new investor in SoCal looking to network, feel free to contact me and we'll chat.

    -Navid 

     Hi Navid,

    Yes, let's connect I would like to hear your thoughts on the socal market and network with you

  • Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @John Acheson:

    Bradford, welcome to the community! I just signed up less than a week ago and it's led to over 100 emails/messages/texts with and from states, cities, brokers, lenders, buyers, title companies, etc. Everyone is so helpful and I love that creative solutions are almost endless in Real Estate. Never give up, John

     Thank you John!

    I am looking forward to the same experience! Thank you for the encouragement and best of luck to you as well! 

  • Realtor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 148 posts · 40 votes
    8y

    @Bradford Ortlund Welcome to BP! Have you decided your strategy or market yet?

  • Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    8y
    Blake Brose Thank you for reaching out! Feel free to PM me but I’ve been working on my plan for the last few months. I’m looking into wholesaling and flipping in Southern California and taking that cash to the Midwest and back east, really wherever the numbers make sense for me. How are you involved in investing? I see you do agent work and remodeling. I’d love to learn more about what you do, maybe we could work together in your area?
  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    Hey Bradford! Welcome to BP! I live in Venice.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.