New to BP, not so much to REI! Hello from Seattle 🙋‍♂️

New to BP, not so much to REI! Hello from Seattle 🙋‍♂️

Rental Property Investor · Redmond, WA · Member since 2017 · 47 posts · 37 votes

Hello BP community,

My name is Aman Agarwal and I am 29 years old. I live in the Greater Seattle area (Redmond) and work as a Software Engineer. I not so new to real estate investing but I haven't done it right in the last couple of years. I am personally a very DIY person and also do fine woodworking on weekends when I get time. I really enjoy the world of real estate, not just for the money or wealth, I just like dealing with properties.

My REI Story:

Two years ago I bought a town home for my primary residence on a 15 year mortgage. I had a bit more savings so in a year I bought the one next to where I live and started renting it out. Last month I closed on another town home in the area and it will be rented soon. All of these were new construction homes. Since the market is so hot here, I had good equity built in the homes (about 100K each) between the time I signed the contract and closed on the homes. However, the rents are just enough to cover my basic costs - mortgage, taxes and insurance. I have these two on 30 year mortgages. I currently self manage these since they are very close to where I live, and being new construction I don't expect lot of issues/ repairs in the near term.

Last September, I came across BP through one of Brandon's YouTube video. I quickly realized that my previous investments were not so great and quite risky. Coming across BP has been a complete eye opener for me. The immense knowledge has completely turned my thought process around REI. Since then I have numerous posts, watched weekly podcasts and more, read Long-Distance Real Estate Investing, Tax Strategies for the Savvy Real Estate Investor, The Book On Rental Property Investing, Managing Rental Properties books. I am currently reading Never Split the Difference by Chriss Voss.

With all this, I quickly realized that I was not investing with cash flow in mind, and self managing the properties was not at all scalable for long term growth. 

My Goals:

My goal for 2018 is to have at least one out of state SFR that cashflows. My long term goal is to build a rental property portfolio of around 40 cash flowing properties by the age of 40, mostly out of state. I want to get started with SFRs or small multi-families. My biggest inertia point in the last few months has been to figure out where to invest out of state. But then I thought, that anywhere is fine as long as the numbers work. Initially I thought that turnkey is the way to go, but as I read more and more I would rather want to buy non-turnkey properties that require some work that I can buy and hold for the long term.

I look forward to be an active member on BP and meeting with a lot more people here.

4Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Justin CambraPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 29 votes
8y

@Aman A. welcome to BP. Based on your post I’m assuming you work at MSFT. I recommend that you go to the Cascadia Investor Alliance eastside edition meet ups in Kirkland. They are the first Friday of the month. Also I recommend going to @Tarl Yarber Fixated on Real Estate meetups in Renton. Both are great venues to meet up with local investors and usually have MSFT employees that you could connect with. Lastly check out this event Tarl is putting on at the end of the month. I hope to meet you at one of these venues to learn about your out of state investing journey and share my experiences of doing the same. 

https://www.pnwrealestateexpo.com

Good luck!

JC

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Tyler HodgsonBusiness Member
    Investor · Flower Mound, TX · Member since 2016 · 245 posts · 192 votes
    8y

    @Aman A. it is great that you have discovered BP. This is a wonderful resource to learn, networking, and help others. What makes you want to venture to out of state rentals? Is it just because the Seattly market is so expensive that it is hard to find a good cash flowing rental?

    I'd 100% recommend @Kenneth McKeown as you investor-friendly agent in the DFW area. He's originally from Washington. He and I are actually planning a trip to Seattle in June. Maybe we can get together at an REI meetup when we are in town!

    Best of luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Redmond, WA · Member since 2017 · 47 posts · 37 votes
    8y

    @Tyler Hodgson - Thank you for your response. The main reason being that is it is near impossible to find cash flow deals here in the Seattle region. Homes are now very expensive and it's not easy to get rents in order to even cover expenses.

    Looking forward to connect with @Kenneth McKeown. It would be great to meet up when you guys are in town. Keep me in the loop when you plan to visit.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 715 posts · 138 votes
    8y
    Aman A. Welcome to bigger pockets and good luck with your REI journey!
  • Justin CambraPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 29 votes
    8y

    @Aman A. welcome to BP. Based on your post I’m assuming you work at MSFT. I recommend that you go to the Cascadia Investor Alliance eastside edition meet ups in Kirkland. They are the first Friday of the month. Also I recommend going to @Tarl Yarber Fixated on Real Estate meetups in Renton. Both are great venues to meet up with local investors and usually have MSFT employees that you could connect with. Lastly check out this event Tarl is putting on at the end of the month. I hope to meet you at one of these venues to learn about your out of state investing journey and share my experiences of doing the same. 

    https://www.pnwrealestateexpo.com

    Good luck!

    JC

  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Aman A.:

    Hello BP community,

    My name is Aman Agarwal and I am 29 years old. I live in the Greater Seattle area (Redmond) and work as a Software Engineer. I not so new to real estate investing but I haven't done it right in the last couple of years. I am personally a very DIY person and also do fine woodworking on weekends when I get time. I really enjoy the world of real estate, not just for the money or wealth, I just like dealing with properties.

    My REI Story:

    Two years ago I bought a town home for my primary residence on a 15 year mortgage. I had a bit more savings so in a year I bought the one next to where I live and started renting it out. Last month I closed on another town home in the area and it will be rented soon. All of these were new construction homes. Since the market is so hot here, I had good equity built in the homes (about 100K each) between the time I signed the contract and closed on the homes. However, the rents are just enough to cover my basic costs - mortgage, taxes and insurance. I have these two on 30 year mortgages. I currently self manage these since they are very close to where I live, and being new construction I don't expect lot of issues/ repairs in the near term.

    Last September, I came across BP through one of Brandon's YouTube video. I quickly realized that my previous investments were not so great and quite risky. Coming across BP has been a complete eye opener for me. The immense knowledge has completely turned my thought process around REI. Since then I have numerous posts, watched weekly podcasts and more, read Long-Distance Real Estate Investing, Tax Strategies for the Savvy Real Estate Investor, The Book On Rental Property Investing, Managing Rental Properties books. I am currently reading Never Split the Difference by Chriss Voss.

    With all this, I quickly realized that I was not investing with cash flow in mind, and self managing the properties was not at all scalable for long term growth. 

    My Goals:

    My goal for 2018 is to have at least one out of state SFR that cashflows. My long term goal is to build a rental property portfolio of around 40 cash flowing properties by the age of 40, mostly out of state. I want to get started with SFRs or small multi-families. My biggest inertia point in the last few months has been to figure out where to invest out of state. But then I thought, that anywhere is fine as long as the numbers work. Initially I thought that turnkey is the way to go, but as I read more and more I would rather want to buy non-turnkey properties that require some work that I can buy and hold for the long term.

    For now I am looking at the Texas - Houston/ Dallas area and would love to connect with investor friendly agents in the area.

    I look forward to be an active member on BP and meeting with a lot more people here.

     Hello and welcome! Best of luck to you!

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    8y

    Welcome to the site @Aman A.

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Hi Aman,

    Texas is a great place to invest. Welcome!

  • Real Estate Broker · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2016 · 545 posts · 252 votes
    8y

    @Aman A. Welcome to the site!

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    @Aman A.

    Welcome to the BP family! Good to have you here! Here are some recommendations for you:

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet
    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
    Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing
    Check out BP Podcasts: http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/podcast/

    If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select the name of that person which should appear below the comments box. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

    Wishing you the best!

  • Rental Property Investor · Redmond, WA · Member since 2017 · 47 posts · 37 votes
    8y
  • Rental Property Investor · Redmond, WA · Member since 2017 · 47 posts · 37 votes
    8y

    Thank you @James Wise.

    @Justin Cambra - You got that right. I do work at Microsoft. Thank you so much for mentioning the meet ups. I will definitely go to the one in Kirkland.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.