Not So New, New BPer in Metro Detroit

Not So New, New BPer in Metro Detroit

Bloomfield Hills, MI · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 1 vote

Hello BP!

I originally jumped on BP in December of 2015 and poked around and left shortly thereafter. In January of 2016 I worked with my son to purchase a home in the Corktown area of Detroit, MI – he is now living for free with his renters while making updates to the home.

Little did I know, until recently having jumped back onto BP, that we basically set him up for his “house hack,” a term, of course, I learned after rejoining this community and immersing myself into the podcasts during my commute to and from the 9 to 5.

I jumped back into the community in late February of this year and signed up as a Pro member in March to take advantage of all the tools available. I have been analyzing deals and soaking up what I can, and I am currently under contract to purchase a rental home in Columbia, SC. My daughter and her friends are lined-up as my first Gamecock tenants. Yes, I suppose you can say I am easing my way into the buy and hold game with my fully vetted tenants and my built in PM, but you have to start somewhere right?

It has been an interesting ride so far and this Carolina home purchase has been a definite learning process, and perhaps a story for another post.

With my Carolina home purchase about settled with closing scheduled for June, I am now in the process of finding that next deal. Will it be closer to home in the Metro Detroit area or another in the Columbia, SC area, who knows, but as I have heard on the podcasts, a deal is a deal, and if the numbers work, you can make it work.

I want to say thank you to all of you BPers who have shared your stories via the podcasts, and a special thanks to Anna Buffkin and Will Gaston (two Columbia area BPers) who answered questions for me regarding the Columbia market. The inspiring stories and the support from Anna and Will, made this move an easier one to make.

See you all in the forums.

1Reply
11 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • lakewood, NJ · Member since 2017 · 282 posts · 156 votes
    8y

    @Bob Budiongan glad to 'see you' here! It is truly a great place to be, and an even better place to learn:)

    Your off to a good start, keep it up!

  • Specialist · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2017 · 74 posts · 22 votes
    8y

    Hello @Bob Budiongan

    And welcome (back) to BP!

  • Dylan TanakaPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Detroit, MI · Member since 2008 · 455 posts · 178 votes
    8y
    Hey Bob, Welcome back-ish to the forums! Hope to see you at a local Meetup or REIA soon!
  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 715 posts · 138 votes
    8y
    Bob Budiongan Welcome to BiggerPockets! It is great to have you and please feel free to jump in the community - there are certainly great people around here.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.