Newbie international investor looking to start in the US

10 Replies

Hey all, my name is Kelly Wylde. I'm a Canadian national living and working abroad. I was exploring the Canadian market, but the places that most interest me seem tapped dry, so I'm looking in the US market! A coworker of mine -- a fellow Canadian -- first told me about BiggerPockets when we were discussing our desire to achieve financial freedom.

I'm looking to start building a portfolio of homes, preferably in one area in the US, rather than having my investments spread out. Because I'll seldom be able to actually visit any of the properties I'm looking into buying, I'm hoping to meet people here, establish dependable contacts, and make mutually beneficial connections that will provide many future opportunities to work together.

I haven't made my first purchase yet, although I do have enough for a decent down payment. Now I just need to find a nice location where I can continue making purchases over the years, a good deal, a trustworthy property manager, and potentially some means of financing suitable for foreign investors (although I do have some contacts in this final area already).

@Kelly Wylde , have you decided on a location yet and what type of returns are you looking for?

I am noticing a lot of Canadians buying in Chicago!

Originally posted by @Kelly Wylde :

Hey all, my name is Kelly Wylde. I'm a Canadian national living and working abroad. I was exploring the Canadian market, but the places that most interest me seem tapped dry, so I'm looking in the US market! A coworker of mine -- a fellow Canadian -- first told me about BiggerPockets when we were discussing our desire to achieve financial freedom.

I'm looking to start building a portfolio of homes, preferably in one area in the US, rather than having my investments spread out. Because I'll seldom be able to actually visit any of the properties I'm looking into buying, I'm hoping to meet people here, establish dependable contacts, and make mutually beneficial connections that will provide many future opportunities to work together.

I haven't made my first purchase yet, although I do have enough for a decent down payment. Now I just need to find a nice location where I can continue making purchases over the years, a good deal, a trustworthy property manager, and potentially some means of financing suitable for foreign investors (although I do have some contacts in this final area already).

Hello and welcome! Best of luck to you!

@Kelly Wylde welcome to BP and congrats on your decision to work towards financial freedom in RE. It’s a great feeling. I would love to discuss and here more about your investment plans and goals. We are in a number of strong markets in the US and partner with a number of other investors. I would love to discuss ideas and ways you could partner with us. Send me a PM or contact me at the number below (text or call).  I would love to here how we could help you out in getting started. 

@Kelly Wylde Great to see more Canucks joining the board. We moved from Calgary to Texas 3 years ago and love it. A lot more RE options with attractive returns. 

You can either look into turnkeys and/or investing passively within multifamily syndications (full disclosure: I am a syndicator). You have to do a lot of research upfront for both options but they are both solid options. 

I have a ton of Canadian investors and can answer your Canada-specific questions. PM me if you need anything. 

Best of luck!

I'll always remember the first time hearing "Papers Please!" Young lady examined for validity, gave me a stern glance (I'm nervous now) looked Bill of lading over once more, smiled and said "Welcome to Cananda." 20 years ago! Streets were super clean 😂 Imagine an 18 wheeler literally doing  5miles per hour. iHad to take it all in! 

Kelly, I'll get that RE info to you as soon as possible... 

@Kelly Wylde , Welcome to BP. I'm Real state agent in Hampton Roads, Virginia. our market is really hot because all the military bases we have here. if you decide to choose my market please feel free to connect with me so we can discuss your investments plans. and feel free to reach out to me for all informations or questions you might have regarding the market in Hampton roads. Best of luck on your first step towards financial freedom 

Hello! @Kelly Wylde

Welcome to BP, and congratulations on making the decision to invest in your future via real estate.

I have written a few blog posts that may help you get started here on BP, and with your investing. Please click on the links, give them a read, and share your thoughts in the comments.

First is a post that I feel will help not get overwhelmed with the amount of info that is here on BP:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52761-the-simple-guide-to-getting-started-on-bp

The second is a post that will help get you focused with your real estate investing goals:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52743-im-new-to-bp-any-advice-would-be-appriciated

The last one is a post that will help you choose an “investor friendly” real estate agent.

There are many agents out there, but it’s important to choose the right one.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52724-im-new-to-investing-how-do-i-find-an-investor-friendly-agent

I love answering questions if you have any! Good Luck :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you