Newbie from Fort Worth, TX

5 Replies

Hi guys!

My name is Logan Woody, and I am new to BiggerPockets and real estate investing. I graduated from the University of North Texas (UNT) in May 2018 with a BBA in Finance, and I started my first full-time job as a commercial credit analyst in June. During my time in college at UNT, I had the pleasure of taking two real estate courses with professor John Baen. He sparked an interest in real estate in me, and I have been educating myself since. I am currently reading "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" and have been listening to the podcasts constantly.

For the most part, I am interested in residential single-family homes to begin with. I will have extra savings due to my low expenses and have been contemplating ways to invest it, and I always seem to come to the conclusion of real estate investing. My end goal is to have a passive income stream that will, one day, become big enough to where it can cover my expenses entirely. Hopefully, through the amount of research, time, and effort that I put into this, I can meet enough people and develop enough connections to become successful in this business. Happy to be here!

@Logan Woody Welcome! You are definitely off to a great start and if you JUST graduated college - you're in a good position to get your real estate investing career started. About 4-5 years ago I found RDPD and it forever changed my life - and now I do real estate full time as a career! It's been amazing and has allowed me to live a life that I've always dreamed of.

What's your current rent/living situation? Sounds like your expenses are pretty low - but starting off with a house-hack MFH or a SFH that you can purchase and rent out rooms would be a terrific step forward.

I definitely suggest you keep watching podcasts, reading books, and learning as much as you can - because the knowledge you will learn will forever shape your future!

Originally posted by @Kenneth McKeown :

@Logan Woody Welcome! You are definitely off to a great start and if you JUST graduated college - you're in a good position to get your real estate investing career started. About 4-5 years ago I found RDPD and it forever changed my life - and now I do real estate full time as a career! It's been amazing and has allowed me to live a life that I've always dreamed of.

What's your current rent/living situation? Sounds like your expenses are pretty low - but starting off with a house-hack MFH or a SFH that you can purchase and rent out rooms would be a terrific step forward.

I definitely suggest you keep watching podcasts, reading books, and learning as much as you can - because the knowledge you will learn will forever shape your future!

Thank you for the detailed reply! That is awesome that you are full-time in real estate. To answer your question, I currently rent for about $350/month plus utilities because I split it with my girlfriend. I have considered buying a duplex and renting out the other side, but I currently am trying to become as educated as possible to make certain that I am acquiring good deals. I think it sounds like a great opportunity, though. Hopefully, with enough perseverance,  I can get my first deal done within the next year or year and a half.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you