New investor/flipper in MD area looking for connections

New investor/flipper in MD area looking for connections

Real Estate Agent · Clarksville, MD · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 1 vote

Hi all! I'm new to BiggerPockets and real estate investing. I got my real estate license earlier this year and have enjoyed being a part-time buyer's agent. Recently, I've been looking into properties to flip. Not currently interested in doing rentals, but maybe someday. I've been reading the forums and books to help me get started

I'm located in Howard County, MD, and have been focusing on SFH in Gaithersburg and Columbia for the most part. I've been sticking to foreclosures, auctions, and the occasional rough home on MRIS.

I have financing in place (thanks to some BiggerPockets forums), but still need to work on putting a team of contractors together. I could really use some help/suggestions here! I've seen quite a few posts from other members in the DC/MD/VA area. I want to try and avoid the high-priced DC contractors, and try and pick up local contractors instead.

I'm also interested in connections with wholesalers/others who may have off-market properties. Any suggestions?

I appreciate all of the help, and look forward to being a part of the BiggerPockets community!

1Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2017 · 176 posts · 37 votes
8y

Hello @Sarah Parkin , I am also living in Howard County, will start my first "rehab (not full rehab though" in Baltimore city soon, will let you know how things go. hope we can connect :) 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Catonsville MD · Member since 2015 · 135 posts · 44 votes
    8y

    Hi Sarah,

    We are moving back to MD after living in SC for 3 years...we lived in Dayton,MD for 12 years and various other parts of Howard County before that...the home we are buying now is in Catonsville. I had a contractor when we lived in Dayton but I wasn't really happy with him...he was never on time, and the costs always went way over the original quote..I mean really high! So I wont be using him anymore and I don't want to rec. him....to find my next contractor I am going to ask for input on the local community forum....I found that when I did that in SC I was given some great names...maybe you could give that a try? I joined the Catonsville group on Facebook, I am sure there will be Howard County groups etc.

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    Welcome to BP @Sarah Parkin

  • Rental Property Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2017 · 176 posts · 37 votes
    8y

    Hello @Sarah Parkin , I am also living in Howard County, will start my first "rehab (not full rehab though" in Baltimore city soon, will let you know how things go. hope we can connect :) 

  • Real Estate Agent · Clarksville, MD · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Hi Laura, Ned, and Ken! It's wonderful to hear from you all. Thanks for the information and advice. I will check out the Howard County community Facebook page and see if I can get some good contractor leads there. 

    Ken, I'd be interested to hear how your flip goes! I've looked at some properties in Baltimore city since the cost is so low. We'll have to connect.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2016 · 121 posts · 60 votes
    8y

    @Sarah Parkin Welcome to BP.  I just got done with a chap renovation in upper fells.  I used a contractor who my partner had worked with before and it still was a challenge.  I am in the process of buying another one in the same area and plan on doing a very similar renovation and I have got recommendations by asking around and being part of different investment groups.  

    But i have been learning that every relationship with contractor is going to have challenges.  My best advice is ask around, if you are focusing on an area and notice realtors who are listing alot of investor flips they probably know the contractor who is doing the renovations.  As mentioned before getting out in the community and talking with others who are doing the same thing as you want to accomplish.  

    All that being said even people who come recommended might not be a good fit for you.  One thing that will save you alot of headache is to have the conversation up front with every contractor and make sure that they are willing to sign a contract.  Communication and setting expectations ahead of time is a must.  I have also learned you can tell how much someone knows just by them explaining things to you.  I had a contractor who has 20 yrs experience; he was explaining R value of insulation and what the city requires for additions.  Verses a paper contractor who might be newer and not as seasoned and be knowledgeable about what needs done but put the flooring down at the begin of the finishing and the floors get all marked up and end up replacing alot of flooring that gets ruined.   If you are hiring a general contractor make sure they are holding their subs accountable.  Hope some of the information helped!  Hopefully will see you posting your new rehab soon :)  1815 Gough St upper fells is my project let me know what you think

  • Retirement Accounts Attorney · Southfield, MI · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Sarah Parkin

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.