How to choose a good realtor?

4 Replies

Hello, my husband and I are brand new to biggerpockets. We are very excited to start but have no idea how. We would like to buy a house that needs repairs, we would move in and fix it to then sell it. We live in Fairfax, VA. Thank you!!!

Welcome to BP @Alexandra Villamizar you have come to the right place to get the knowledge you need to invest in Real Estate. Living in your first fixer upper will help with only having one monthly payment. I wish you great success. As far as how to choose a good Real Estate Salesperson, you can search for local Real Esatate Brokers and look for ones that understand investment properties. Just ask, they will be glad to help you. 

Welcome, Alexandra! Bigger Pockets is going to rock your world...brace yourself ;)

If you haven't subscribed to the BP podcast yet, I can't recommend it highly enough. I lurked in the forums and listened to the podcast for several years before making the leap to buying my first property. The education I received through the podcast was invaluable in giving me the knowledge and confidence to do the first deal. Eight properties later and no looking back now! 

Love your plan to do a move-in flip. I am enjoying real estate investing and have no regrets about our journey to date...but if I could start all over, I would house hack early and often.

Regarding realtors, I would recommend connecting with your local REIA community. Often you can find an agent who specializes in investors who can help guide you. Referrals from other investors can also help identify the best fit for you.

Best of luck to you and keep all of us posted on your journey!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you