I know Insurance and Contracting, want to learn about investing!

I know Insurance and Contracting, want to learn about investing!

Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 11 votes

Well Hello BP World!

My name is Toby Thompson and I live in Marietta, GA. I have 1 rental property that I self managed for about 5 years now but have dreamed about investing for about 15 years; the time for dreaming is over and the time to learn, help, and act is upon me!

WHAT I KNOW AND CAN ADD TO THE FORUMS: 

I spent 6 years in the military learning how to be a productive member of society. I started my "professional" career in the insurance world as a property claims adjuster/estimator and know the game fairly well. I then swapped over to contracting with an emphasis on disaster response (fire/water/mold/smoke/storm) and general contracting, both commercial and residential. I know these worlds pretty well and I beleive that I can help others with coverage/policy/estimating questions. I have a very solid knowledge of construction and have a passion to share/teach others and see them grow as well.

WHAT I WANT TO LEARN:

I am an awkwardly tall (1" shorter than @beardybrandon) sponge. If knowing that you don't know something is a sign of knowledge, then I know plenty! I would love to learn more about analyzing deals efficiently and networking in general.

RANDOM TIDBITS:

-My family is my reason.

-I run operations for a company with Propery Management clients with over 20,000 single family detached homes!

-I once took off 8 months from work just to remodel my home myself.

-German Shepherds are wolves that grew bored with the pack and now live in my home; liabilities be darned...

I am here to share what I know, grow where I am weak, and obtain a stronger relationship with my girls by slowly ending the indentured servitude to my daily grind. I am ready to stop talking and start making moves. Oh, and I will post my picture ASAP- don't yell at me just yet!


Thanks for having me!

-Toby

1Reply
6 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Carlisle, PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 543 votes
    7y

    @Toby Thompson, welcome to BP and congrats for prepping to take the plunge.  There are a ton a smart and outgoing people on this site that are happy to help and willing.  What kind of investing do you want to do?  Where do you want to invest?  What is the end state?

    Good luck moving forward.  Happy to help.

  • Rental Property Investor · Marietta, GA · Member since 2014 · 41 posts · 24 votes
    7y

    Hey Toby,

    Welcome to BP. I live in Marietta too and own rentals in the Metro Atlanta area.  I would be happy to meet up or help you however I can.  If you (or anyone else on BP) would like to get together locally and talk real estate, just message me.

    Best of luck on your journey!

    James

  • Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    Thanks Kevin! I am pretty excited to find a whole community of real estate geeks that I can start exploring- sometimes my wife isn't quite as excited to talk about it as I would like :)

    I am mostly interested in BRRRR, Fix and Flips, and long term buy/hold depending on available at the time. I am new to creative financing so my plan was always to fix/flip for capital and then reinvest that into long term holds once I had the funds.

    The end state is when I have the ability to be an involved parent to my girls as well as feel successful and prosperous in my career. What that looks like, exactly, only time can tell! I have some very successful friends and look forward to joining their ranks one day.

  • Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    Thanks James! Absolutely, I am a firm believer that we can all benefit from others in some way no matter where they are in their journey. I will send you a message shortly to see about chatting, I do appreciate the warm welcome from all!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.