New from DC- Investing in Orlando Metro Area

New from DC- Investing in Orlando Metro Area

New to Real Estate · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 3 votes

Hello BP! 

I am a 25 year old Texas A&M Economics graduate working in purchasing (buying) at a retailer in the DC area, and am new to real estate investing! I first got the real estate bug several months ago but I have been super passionate about finance and how money works for as long as I can remember. I have a buddy in commercial real estate lending analysis and my father who had a rental property in Florida and I just got curious. I sort of stumbled into BP through Google looking up general information on real estate investing. I have read a ton of the bigs books and continue to listen to many of the BP podcasts. 

Day in and day out I obsess over my knowledge on real estate rehabbing and have made that what I am focusing on, but now I am ready to jump into it.

My whole family is from various parts of Florida so I am somewhat familiar with the Orlando area. In the early part of 2019 I will be intensely focused on completing my first deal in that area. While I am aware of the challenges of out of state investing, my father will act as my partner and my boots on the ground person who is not too far from the area.

I would love to speak with someone who has had rehabbing/flipping experience in the Orlando area. I am very serious about looking to partner soon with local investor friendly agents, and private/hard money lenders as I will be purchasing in the area. Any great recommendations?

Primary focus will be SFH, $100-$200k price range, off the MLS (Distressed Properties, REO) with the intent to flip.

Hope to hear from y'all!

0Reply
36 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Winter Park, FL · Member since 2018 · 86 posts · 35 votes
    7y

    Hey @Brian Becker! I sent you a request to connect. I've lived here my whole life, familiar with market, looking at the same thing as you. I've done a couple long term flips and kind of on the same timeline as you for next year. Would love to help in anyway I can! 

  • New to Real Estate · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    7y
    @Hilary Stalder yes hello! I’m curious where are you most familiar and what areas you think are best for flipping? What areas did you flip in and what did you learn from them? Feel free to message me outside of the forum post. I’d love to pick your brain!
  • Real Estate Agent · Falls Church · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Hello! @Brian Becker

    Welcome to BP, and congratulations on making the decision to invest in your future via real estate.

    I have written a few blog posts that may help you get started here on BP, and with your investing. Please click on the links, give them a read, and share your thoughts in the comments.

    First is a post that I feel will help not get overwhelmed with the amount of info that is here on BP:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52761-the-simple-guide-to-getting-started-on-bp

    The second is a post that will help get you focused with your real estate investing goals:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52743-im-new-to-bp-any-advice-would-be-appriciated

    The last one is a post that will help you choose an “investor friendly” real estate agent. There are many agents out there, but it’s important to choose the right one.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52724-im-new-to-investing-how-do-i-find-an-investor-friendly-agent

    I love answering questions if you have any! Good Luck :)

  • New to Real Estate · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    7y
    @Brandon L. Hello! Thank you for the response and information. I found the real estate agent article especially insightful as this is the big goal of mine to find one here soon. Is finding a great deal on the very competitive MLS going to be a lot more tough than say trying to find one say through direct mail marketing? What are your thoughts?
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.