Just Starting (Newbie) from Davenport , IA | Quad Cities

Just Starting (Newbie) from Davenport , IA | Quad Cities

Davenport, IA · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 3 votes

I've been burning through books, podcasts, and YouTube for a couple of months now. Trying to learn as much as possible. Started getting financials in place and ready to start in REI. Signed up for an account when I bought a couple of the books, but recently jumped in to the forums.

I am from Davenport, IA and have been looking around the Quad cities and surrounding area market. I have been working as a software developer for the past 10 years, and have been looking for additional passive income. My goal would be to eventually only work as a consultant part time while a majority of income coming from REI. To start out my goal is to begin with SFH's near a local university. I currently live close to a University and have been thinking of moving and turning my current home into a Rental. Next step is running the numbers through one of the calculators to see if its even feasible.

Jumped on the site today and saw that a local group meets every once and awhile, organized by @ShawnF32. I plan to go to the next meeting. Just missed yesterdays meeting.

It's nice to see users and even podcast guests are investing locally. It shows there are definitely opportunities in my home town. 

1Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Falls Church · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

Hello! @Jesse Clark

Welcome to BP, and congratulations on making the decision to invest in your future via real estate.

I have written a few blog posts that may help you get started here on BP, and with your investing. Please click on the links, give them a read, and share your thoughts in the comments.

First is a post that I feel will help not get overwhelmed with the amount of info that is here on BP:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52761-the-simple-guide-to-getting-started-on-bp

The second is a post that will help get you focused with your real estate investing goals:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52743-im-new-to-bp-any-advice-would-be-appriciated

The last one is a post that will help you choose an “investor friendly” real estate agent.

There are many agents out there, but it’s important to choose the right one.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52724-im-new-to-investing-how-do-i-find-an-investor-friendly-agent

I love answering questions if you have any! Good Luck :)

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2015 · 208 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    Welcome, @Jesse Clark! Sounds like you have a solid plan to grow your real estate investment career. The local meet-ups can be so valuable - I would definitely recommend getting involved with your group. 

    And don't forget to set up keyword alerts here on BP so you can keep up with the topics that matter most to you.

    Best of luck to you and look forward to following your success!

  • Investor · Le Claire, IA · Member since 2017 · 64 posts · 32 votes
    7y

    Welcome @Jesse Clark. Hope to see you at one of our local meet ups. There are lots of people in the quad cities that share your excitement for real estate and would love to talk about it and share their experiences.

  • Real Estate Agent · Falls Church · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Hello! @Jesse Clark

    Welcome to BP, and congratulations on making the decision to invest in your future via real estate.

    I have written a few blog posts that may help you get started here on BP, and with your investing. Please click on the links, give them a read, and share your thoughts in the comments.

    First is a post that I feel will help not get overwhelmed with the amount of info that is here on BP:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52761-the-simple-guide-to-getting-started-on-bp

    The second is a post that will help get you focused with your real estate investing goals:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52743-im-new-to-bp-any-advice-would-be-appriciated

    The last one is a post that will help you choose an “investor friendly” real estate agent.

    There are many agents out there, but it’s important to choose the right one.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52724-im-new-to-investing-how-do-i-find-an-investor-friendly-agent

    I love answering questions if you have any! Good Luck :)

  • Justin WindhamPro Member
    Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets, @Jesse Clark!

    You'll find plenty of friendly, knowledgeable people willing to help respond to your questions. Many members are experts in their respective fields related to real estate investing, whether that is real estate brokerage, wholesaling, flipping, buy and hold, lending, self-directed IRA and Solo 401k investing, or tax and legal guidance.

    There are some pretty cool discounts on various products and services offered as Perks to BP members that you might want to check out: https://www.biggerpockets.com/perks/pro


    If you haven’t checked it out already, the Bigger Pockets blog features links to their awesome podcast and many great articles: https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/

  • Tara KinneyPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Bettendorf, IA · Member since 2016 · 62 posts · 39 votes
    7y

    Welcome Jesse!  I look forward to meeting you at the next meeting!  In the mean time, if you have any specific questions on the area.... feel free to reach out!  I live in Bettendorf, IA and have a few properties in Davenport.  I regularly try to attend the meetings, the networking is invaluable....plus a ton of information or other insights you learn that you may not think about on your own. :)

  • Davenport, IA · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Shawn Faris:

    Welcome @Jesse Clark. Hope to see you at one of our local meet ups. There are lots of people in the quad cities that share your excitement for real estate and would love to talk about it and share their experiences.

    Do you post on Meetup or on bigger pockets when the meetings will be?

  • Investor · Le Claire, IA · Member since 2017 · 64 posts · 32 votes
    7y

    @Jesse Clark I will post on BP. We will likely get together in early January.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.