Newbie Wanting to enter real estate

Newbie Wanting to enter real estate

Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 3 votes

Good evening

My name is Luis and I’m new to these forums. I live in Los Angeles county and would like to enter the real estate market. I have been an entrepreneur for most of my life. I currently have a business that deals with home improvement products. I am a licensed contractor. I am 39 years old and will be 40 this year. I am starting to plan on retirement at 55-60 years old. Could you guys point me out in the right direction. I would like to creat passive income for retirement. I have all my capital tied up in my most recent business that I started 2 years ago. I can do rehabs as a start if that makes sense. I have no clue on the real estate industry. Your advise is greatly appreciated.

1Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 68 posts · 34 votes
7y

welcome @Luis Ascencio

good place to start is to attend a meet up event.  Depends on what area you live, there are a number of events in LA.    Lots of good people there to talk to.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 68 posts · 34 votes
    7y

    welcome @Luis Ascencio

    good place to start is to attend a meet up event.  Depends on what area you live, there are a number of events in LA.    Lots of good people there to talk to.

  • Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Doug Peters

    Is there a list of meet up events ?

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 68 posts · 34 votes
    7y

    http://biggerpockets.com/events

    I go to the South LA one.  there is a Santa Monica one, Silverlake tomorrow night, Pasadena etc. 

  • Retirement Accounts Attorney · Southfield, MI · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Luis Ascencio

    Welcome to BP!

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Luis Ascencio Welcome to BP! The best thing to do is read as much as you can and make a plan. Look at your finances to see where you're at financially. Know how much money is coming in and out every month. Then decide what you want to do. Do you want to build up cash? Or do you want to buy and hold rental properties for cash flow? If you need cash to start, you may want to build up cash by wholesaling and/or working with a partner on flip deals. This is how I started out as a real estate investor. Once I built up enough cash, then I started buying and holding properties for cash flow. Hope this helps. Good luck with your real estate investing journey! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 210 posts · 155 votes
    7y

    Welcome,

    You can go to the Biggerpockets event page and find local meetups near you. 

  • Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @KJ L.

    I will attend a meet up and try to network. I am a licensed contractor with sources and experience, maybe I can partner with an investor and start flipping some houses.

  • Specialist · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 165 posts · 88 votes
    7y

    Welcome. There's one next week in Altadena.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/681939-los-angeles-real-estate-rockstars-monthly-meetup

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 73 posts · 29 votes
    7y

    Hi @Luis Ascencio welcome to BP. I have a meet up tonight at Silverlake. DM me if youre available and would like to go. Great place to see how people are connecting and doing deals together. Its a casual space to have like-minded people connect. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.