New Investor from Houston (and College Station), Texas

9 Replies

Hello BiggerPockets!

Intro

My name is Chase Smolik and I'm a new investor from Houston, Texas. Currently, I work in educational technology sales. I've been fortunate with my success here and am looking to build my portfolio and pursue my dream of REI. Hobbies include cars, camping, hiking with my dog (Kona), and consider myself a 'foodie'. Alongside my long-term goal of becoming a full-time Investor, my current goal is to visit all 50 states by my birthday in July 2020. I'm 7 states away and have trips planned!

Background

My background in real estate comes from a pure interest in housing, a desire to be financially 'free', and a goal to retire from corporate America early. I have been a lurker for BiggerPockets for quite some time, but just upgraded to Pro, as I'm am finally ready (both mentally and financially) to make a move on my dream. After reading the Ultimate Beginner's Guide here on BiggerPockets, my niche/interest is to focus on SFR and short-term rentals.

Currently

I've spent time writing my mission statement, setting my goals, planning my long-term goal, and running data (thank you, BiggerPockets Pro Calculators!) on several different properties, and have now stumbled across one that is of sincere interest that fits my criteria, almost perfectly. At this point, I feel I may be hitting a little "analysis paralysis". I do plan to share the report with the group for any and all feedback. 

I look forward to connecting with everyone here on BiggerPockets. 

-Chase

Hi Chase,

Congrats on making the jump from lurker to serious! It’s time to DO IT!!

I have several multi-fam rentals in College Station and would be happy to chat about my experience. I quit my job about 14 months ago and am *almost* financially free. Same goal as you.. leaving corporate America. 

Let me know if I can help you analyze or chat through the property you’re excited about. I’m free all week just send me a message and we can chat. 

Cheers,

Joel

Hi Joel,

Thanks for the welcome, I'm excited to get started and happy to connect with you. I'll send you a message! 

Congrats on taking steps toward your dream, Chase, and on finding a property that you're excited about!

I'm also a new investor working in the Brenham (and surrounding) area (as well as Durham NC). I don't know too much about Houston but I definitely recommend checking out BRIC, the B/CS REIA: https://www.brazosreia.com

Best of luck on starting your investing career!

Welcome @Chase Smolik !

Set BIG goals. I hit my lifetime goal of 10 SFRs in a little over a year after starting. You'll be surprised what you can do when you get laser focused. 

Don't sell yourself short!

All the best!

Hi Chase,

Welcome to BP, and I wish you all the best. I live in Brenham, and am relatively new at this business myself. Annchen, my daughter, was correct in recommending the BRIC REIA. They are very active and have two meetings a month.

Chase,

Welcome to Bigger Pockets! It seems like you're really passionate about everything you do, I sure wouldn't  bet against you. 

-James

Hi @Annchen Knodt  and @Tom Knodt

Thank you for the warm welcome and suggestion for BRIC REIA. I will definitely look into that further! (And potentially meet you at one of the meetings.)

@Cameron Tope - Thanks for the welcome! I definitely have big dreams, measured in small goals. That's incredible, I will keep that in mind for this journey!

@Chase Smolik Welcome and congratulations on pulling the trigger to go Pro! I'd love to see the report as I have just started to use the BP calculator to run some numbers. Best of luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here