New to BP and REI in Colorado

New to BP and REI in Colorado

Parker, CO · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 3 votes

Hi all,

New member here. Joined last week and been poking around to get a feel for the place. I can't believe this site is here as it seems like an incredibly fantastic resource! I am looking to get started in REI to supplement my retirement savings and have some additional post retirement income. I'm 52, so feeling a little late to the game. But I'm ready.

I have a Marketing degree but have worked in the IT industry for the last 25 years. I'm not much of a business-minded person so I know I have a lot to learn. I live in the Denver metro area. From my understanding, this is a difficult market in which to do REI (particularly flipping), but the rental market seems good so that is a possibility. I'm originally from Florida and it has crossed my mind to move back and make this work there.

Just general stuff about me: love the mountains and camping, drive a jeep and do some off-roading now and then, really love good food and good whisky.

Anyway, look forward to learning a lot and talking to you all.

Alex

2Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Justin WindhamPro Member
Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

@Alex Pearson

Welcome to Bigger Pockets!

This is a great place to learn and network. A lot of forum members are very knowledgeable in their respective fields related to real estate investing, whether that is real estate sales, wholesaling, flipping, rentals, lending, self-directed IRA and Solo 401k investing, or tax and legal guidance.

Discounts on some products and services are offered to BP members: https://www.biggerpockets.com/perks/pro

If you haven’t been to it already, you might want to check out the BP blog: https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/

The site has quite a few tools that can be helpful for new members. I like the search features: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Accountant · Louisville, CO · Member since 2017 · 80 posts · 34 votes
    7y

    Hi Alex, Welcome to BP. As you are coming up with your strategy, keep in mind that your retirement account (401(k), IRA, etc.) may be able to invest in real estate to produce tax-advantaged returns for you.

  • Justin WindhamPro Member
    Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Alex Pearson

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets!

    This is a great place to learn and network. A lot of forum members are very knowledgeable in their respective fields related to real estate investing, whether that is real estate sales, wholesaling, flipping, rentals, lending, self-directed IRA and Solo 401k investing, or tax and legal guidance.

    Discounts on some products and services are offered to BP members: https://www.biggerpockets.com/perks/pro

    If you haven’t been to it already, you might want to check out the BP blog: https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/

    The site has quite a few tools that can be helpful for new members. I like the search features: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search

  • Rental Property Investor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 108 posts · 48 votes
    7y

    What's up Alex! Never too late to start, man! And I know, what an incredible resource BP is, right?!?! Godspeed in your endeavors!

  • Parker, CO · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @William W. Humphrey:

    Hi Alex, Welcome to BP. As you are coming up with your strategy, keep in mind that your retirement account (401(k), IRA, etc.) may be able to invest in real estate to produce tax-advantaged returns for you.

     Thanks William.  Great advice.  

  • Parker, CO · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Justin Windham:

    @Alex Pearson

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets!

    This is a great place to learn and network. A lot of forum members are very knowledgeable in their respective fields related to real estate investing, whether that is real estate sales, wholesaling, flipping, rentals, lending, self-directed IRA and Solo 401k investing, or tax and legal guidance.

    Discounts on some products and services are offered to BP members: https://www.biggerpockets.com/perks/pro

    If you haven’t been to it already, you might want to check out the BP blog: https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/

    The site has quite a few tools that can be helpful for new members. I like the search features: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search

     Thanks Justin.  I'm looking forward to networking here once I get rolling!

  • Parker, CO · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ian Parrish:

    Welcome to the forums, Alex. It’s funny you mentioned you’re a Jeep owner from CO. I might not have responded, except that I’m a life-long CJ owner and Ouray, CO is one of my favorite ice climbing destinations. Small world.

    As far as real estate goes, I’ve been buying property professionally for 27 years, I own a small portfolio of property between Jacksonville, FL and New York City, I’m a Class A commercial developer in Maryland where I live, and I serve as President of America’s oldest school for real estate investment which was founded by my father, Charles. My family also owns a real estate auction company. Educating others is how I’ve been able to multiply my investing efforts across the country; so if you’re looking for some guidance and/or a partner, I’d enjoy the opportunity to call my next trip to CO a “business trip” and to come out and collect create some income together. 

    Ian Parrish

     My love for jeeps started with the old CJs in the 80s.  Love Ouray.  Its a beautiful little mountain town.  Been off-roading outside there and made it over Black Bear Pass, I'm proud to say.  Thanks for the offer of guidance and partnering.  I'll probably reach out with questions once I have some education under my belt and determine a plan.  I've been thinking that partnering would be a good way to go since I only have around $30k to get started and having someone who's been around the block to learn from makes a lot of sense.  Thanks!

  • Parker, CO · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ian Gilligan:

    What's up Alex! Never too late to start, man! And I know, what an incredible resource BP is, right?!?! Godspeed in your endeavors!

     Thanks Ian!  I appreciate the motivation!

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7y

    @Alex Pearson

    Welcome to the BP family! Glad you joined the best real estate investing website!

    Wishing you the best!

  • Parker, CO · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dmitriy Fomichenko:

    @Alex Pearson

    Welcome to the BP family! Glad you joined the best real estate investing website!

    Wishing you the best!

     Thanks Dmitriy!

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2014 · 538 posts · 432 votes
    7y

    @Alex Pearson Welcome aboard! It's never really too late. You just have to have the drive to do it! Don't feel at all discouraged by that. 

    Read the forums, listen to the podcast, absorb everything, ask questions, and start investing! Best of luck, sir :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.