Should I go to college?

2 Replies

Hi I m a 17 year old in H.S and next year I will finish my H.S and I was wondering if I should go to college or get my real estate license and work as a agent and later invest the money I earned.

I m reading books,blogs and also watching videos about real estate

Is there anything else I can do right now that will help in future

First thing I'd recommend college or not is to start budgeting monthly. Save as much as you possibly can. You're gonna need capital at some point. Most people get stuck in life paying heavy bills forever. Don't take a big loan out on a car or carry heavy credit card debt. Having a good paying job will help you save more. 

The college or not question is asked frequently on here and it depends. Do you have an idea of what you want to do for a career? There are good jobs that don't require college. You can always revisit college later. Most people don't even get a job related to their major. If you have a passion for something like architecture, accounting, medicine then college will be nessecary. 

If you're not 100% sure what/where you want to go in life, the military is an excellent choice. They will train you to do something. You get access to VA loans that have 0% down payments if you house hack. Also it will look excellent on a resume!

This is one of the hardest questions we all have to ask ourselves at one point..... What do I want to do when I grow up? When you think of college it can mean different things. Do you want an actual degree in a specific area? You can always get a certificate etc. in different subjects. These areas do not require the amount of time it takes for a degree but you will get some type of "college". You also have to consider the environment you wish to work in. Certain trades such as welding you need some type of extra training or certificate but the conditions can be harsh even though the pay can be good. 

Many people change their minds many times during their college years. Others finish their degree only to not use it at all in the career path they end up on. Some may use that degree only to work in the field for a few years then want to change their careers. Our world is now changing faster than we can keep up with and it is hard for anyone to say what they want to do in the future. It is important to remember jobs get phased out with technology, this includes positions with degrees. I myself have known people who get passed up for promotions because they do not have a degree. Can you shadow a real estate agent to make sure that is the career path you wish to take? Maybe they could give you more details of a real estate career path by showing you what it is like in their day to day life.

Overall, never stop learning and never stop connecting with people. There are a lot of times that it is about who you know and not necessarily what you know. Good luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you