New Member from Washington DC

New Member from Washington DC

Washington, Washington D.C. · Member since 2012 · 5 posts · 2 votes

Hello everyone,

I have been looking through the site for the last couple of days and have found so much useful information. I have owned a SF rental in Virginia for a long time and my wife and I also have a townhouse in Washington that we are renting out. I have been wanting to acquire additional properties for quite some time and have finally got the courage to go for it! We are primarily interested in 2-4 unit M/F properties to buy and hold. We are always on the lookout here in DC, but the market is crazy here... we also have relatives in Cleveland OH and have been seriously considering trying to jump into the market there... any current NE Ohio, specifically Clevelanders who are willing to discuss the rental market prospects would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to learning a lot from this site!

2Reply
114 views

Most Popular Reply

Washington, Washington D.C. · Member since 2012 · 66 posts · 15 votes
13y

Hey Matt Dean, Ned Carey, Jason Cohen, Chris Drury, Deirdre Brown, Travis Lauchman, Leonid Sapronov and others,

So I've met with some local DC RE investors, and the consensus I've gathered is that there is a lot of interest in starting a meetup group for DC and the surrounding area. For those not familiar with Meetup.com, its a website where you organize meetings among people with similar hobbies.

This would be a group where new, inexperienced investors like me could find mentors or partnerships for their first investment, and the more experienced investors could offer advice, find partnerships, and find investment money. I would propose that the group stay true to the biggerpockets investment philosophy, offering free help without pressure to buy anything.

I am willing to organize this group but would request help from interested locals. It seems like a hotel conference room would work well, but I have no experience organizing something like this.

I am proposing that people send me their email in a colleague request, and I will setup the meetup.com group and email everyone link invites. From this we can guage the interest, and determine a good meeting ground based on how many people RSVP to a meetup. Let me know what you all think!

-Will

See this reply in the discussion

124 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y

    I won't be able to make it that week as I will be in the midst of the Baltimore City Tax Sale.

    If it turns out to be a different date I will be glad to come.

    Will K I would be glad to speak to the group. If you are one of the organizers send me a PM and we can talk off line. - Ned

  • Baltimore , MD · Member since 2011 · 32 posts · 8 votes
    13y

    The one day I go without checking pb.... Can't believe I missed this.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Owings Mills, MD · Member since 2009 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Hey BP folks! I've been on the fence reading BP on and off for years. Now I'm ready to

  • Involved In Real Estate · Owings Mills, MD · Member since 2009 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    OK, my first post shouldn't be on an I-Pad :-)

    I'm interested in learning from local REI's and I'm looking for a mentor. I've lived in Baltimore and Baltimore County for 45 years...I know it well and I've worked in DC for over 20 years. I'm a Licensed Realtor in MD with a little cash to invest.

    The local market in the Pikesville, Randallstown, Owings Mills, Woodlawn area is very tight. The inventory of homes is unbeleivably low. REO's are down, Short Sales are up. Investors seem to be everywhere buying up the few properties that become available.

    Interested in buy & hold and flipping...albeit a very competitive market for that now.

    Would love to connect with the meet-up group anywhere between Baltimore and DC. Looking to learn from anyone interested in working with newbie!

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y

    Terrell Williams welcome to BP. I invest in the Baltimore area. you missed a great speaker at the meetup group last night. I didn't know he would be speaking but my friend Gordon Stebbings gave a presentation on rehabbing. Despite the competitive market he is finding plenty of deals.

    You might want to start a new thread as an intro post.

  • Wholesaler · Brooklandville, MD · Member since 2013 · 149 posts · 29 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Will K:
    Ned Carey I would love to come Ned but unfortunately its a little late notice for me, but thanks for the heads up.

    Any chance you could make it down for one of the DC meetups? We're a fledgling REI group that is planning on having our next one somewhere in NW DC, probably adams morgan or columbia heights.

    At this time we're looking at May 22nd, and we're also looking for speakers. Based on your posts you have a lot of experience, and I think a lot of our members could really benefit from listening to you. Let me know if you would consider it!

    -Will

    I cant wait to meet up with this "fledgling" group. I really want to hit the DC market. I am keeping hearing stories of wholesalers making 10s of thousands.
  • Hyattsville, MD · Member since 2013 · 1 post · 0 votes
    13y

    Hello Everyone!

    I am new to Biggerpockets and also fairly new to the business of real estate investing. I am very interested in attending the May 22nd meeting in the DC area. I dont know if all the details of the meeting have been worked out (time,place,etc) but keep me posted.

    Also, thanks Matt Cohen and all who decided to create this meet up!

    Brandon Carrington

  • Frederick, MD · Member since 2013 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Hello fellow DC/MD/VA folks!
    I just joined yesterday. Grew up in NW Baltimore county and am now living in Frederick. Looking to buy my first rental in the area, any others out here in the country:-)?

    Just bookmarked the meetup on 5/22. I've got 16mos twins at home, so might not make it, but I sure will do my best. Really looking forward to meeting some like minded investors (note: complete newbie here).

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2013 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Hello All,
    I am new to the site and am glad to have found it. To be brief I already own a rental in Baltimore City and am looking to start getting more active to rehabbing and flipping. I would like to connect with other investors in Baltimore City/County as I am out of the country often I especially feel that I need a mentor.

    I would love to attend the meeting, but May 22nd won't work for me.

    Good Luck to all!

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 90 posts · 8 votes
    13y

    I'm new on here too just like most of the people who posted on this thread. I am 26yo and live in the Tysons Corner NOVA area and am looking to purchase a investment property. I have no REI background but would like to learn as much as I can and perhaps partner with someone in the future.

    May 22 will not work for me, I will be on a business trip. However, if anyone want to meet up to chat and have a quick lunch/coffee, I'd be super interested although wont add a lot of real experience advice on the table.

  • David HollandPro Member
    Realtor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2013 · 91 posts · 32 votes
    13y

    Hello to everyone in the DC area! I look forward to meeting you all at the meetups. There are several of us going to the reiexpo.com this weekend, so come out if if you can.

    I'm just getting started as well and am looking for 2-4 multi units.

    David

  • Wholesaler · Brooklandville, MD · Member since 2013 · 149 posts · 29 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by David Holland:
    Hello to everyone in the DC area! I look forward to meeting you all at the meetups. There are several of us going to the reiexpo.com this weekend, so come out if if you can.

    I'm just getting started as well and am looking for 2-4 multi units.

    David


    I may be able to help you. Right now that is the main niche I work at times to build up a portfolio for myself while im building up my wholesaling business. To add I also place a focus on the SFR college market and many of the properties area duplexes too. I have run across some and will be marketing before the end of the week.
  • Involved In Real Estate · Washington, Washington D.C. · Member since 2012 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Hi - Matt Dean, Ned Carey, Jenkins Ramon, Jason Cohen, Chris Drury, Deirdre Brown, Travis Lauchman, Atul P., Jerome Adams, Leonid Sapronov, Randy Coffren, Cheryl C., Tanya S., Ophelia Nicholson, Sean Stewart, Ezinwanne HawkinsCurtis N., Benaiah Grimes, Jamaal Hunt, Brian Cindy Walls, Justin Worster, Raj Tirbany, Paul Paleologos, Jan Whitney, Terrell Williams, Brandon Carrington, Stephen Guttman, Mike Hsu, Will K, Tracy Carter, David Holland; Heberto Alanis

    WOW...that's a good looking group!

    Just wanted to introduce myself virtually before meeting you all in person on 5/22. Happy to see such a big group!

    I'm fairly new to DC, originally from Chicago. I have a little bit of flipping experience from Chicago, but 0 experience in DC. I just got my agents license in MD and DC and looking forward to putting that to work for myself and others.

    I like the big meetups, but if anyone wants to do a one-off convesation with me during the week, I live in Chinatown and am happy to meet.

    Thanks to @curtis n. for introducing me to this thread.

    See you all soon!

  • Landlord · Silver Spring, MD · Member since 2013 · 23 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Hi Bryan I look forward to meeting everyone. Been super busy with work but now they've hired a new team member I can fully focus on investments. Hope to learn as much as I can and I invest in a SF or multiunit by August.

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y

    I and my Partner Mike will be at the REI Expo this weekend in Baltimore.
    REI Expo Baltimore

    My main reason for going is networking so I hope some of you can make it.

  • Vendor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2013 · 36 posts · 4 votes
    13y

    Good to see so many other people from the area looking to invest. I'll definitely be able to make the May 22nd meeting. Also I'm part of the Greater Washington REIA and thats been a great place to meet people if anyone is interested. It's every second saturday in Upper Marlboro, MD.

  • Northern, VA · Member since 2013 · 141 posts · 29 votes
    13y

    I wish I could make it Ned Carey! I don't think I'll be able to make that and probably won't be at the next meetup either, but we'll see. Have fun!

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2013 · 19 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    Hey everyone,

    I just joined BP last week and I wanted to introduce myself on the forums before the May 22nd meeting. I have no experience in real estate but I can't wait to learn and invest in the DC, MD, VA area.

    I also wanted to let everyone in the area know that there is a FREE multi-family investing seminar in DC on May 11th (http://www.eventbrite.com/event/5771920971/es2005/?rank=1). I will be attending myself and I think it would be a great place to meet other fellow real estate investors.

    Hope everyone had a great weekend,
    Heberto

  • Real Estate Investor · scranton, PA · Member since 2010 · 174 posts · 14 votes
    13y

    welcome

    i am shopping for an sfr or small rental i can buy for my sister, a dc govt manager.

    let me know what deals you have in/near northwest. kinda corcoran/porter is ideal but anything good.

  • Investor · Reston, VA · Member since 2013 · 85 posts · 6 votes
    13y

    Hi Guys,

    I signed up on this site a while back but never had the chance to go through the forum. I saw this thread and I like to join the group as well.

    I have several rental properties in Reston and Ashburn area and in MD but looking to invest in DC area. Bmore seems very affordable but I don't see any future in that city or maybe I'am wrong?

    I'm currently living in Southern Califronia but will be moving back to DC in 3 weeks. I'am looking forward to a meetup.

  • Springfield, VA · Member since 2013 · 13 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    I just signed up for the Meetup group on 5/22. Here is my introduction post:
    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/55/topics/88777-new-member-in-northern-virginia

    I'm interested in working with anyone both through my company or personally. My company has both money and knowledge to offer, I just have knowledge (not a lot of money, yet). If anyone is looking at purchasing a home in the NoVA Area, I can assist with pre-purchase inspection and help with renovation planning/project management. I'm not a home inspector, but I know construction and I can point out potential problem areas that home inspectors might miss.

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y

    FYI there is a meetup in Columbia MD this Wednesday May 8.
    Columbia MD Meetup

    This is a group that some BP members have been attending. I will be there. - Ned

    Keywords: Baltimore, DC, Washington, NOVA, BWI

  • Wholesaler · Brooklandville, MD · Member since 2013 · 149 posts · 29 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Tony Sepassi:
    Hi Guys,

    I signed up on this site a while back but never had the chance to go through the forum. I saw this thread and I like to join the group as well.

    I have several rental properties in Reston and Ashburn area and in MD but looking to invest in DC area. Bmore seems very affordable but I don't see any future in that city or maybe I'am wrong?

    I'm currently living in Southern Califronia but will be moving back to DC in 3 weeks. I'am looking forward to a meetup.

    You're wrong completely. Baltimore is slowly up and coming and depending on your strategy (Landlord) and location you're bound to make cash flow. Baltimore is the cash flow capital of the world. (yes i am stretching it) The multifamily market is the way to go in baltimore. if you can get one for the cheap and not too much in repairs Ill jump it on before the storm.

  • Investor · DMV Maryland · Member since 2013 · 867 posts · 370 votes
    13y

    Is the meet up still open? I checked out Ned Carey's link and in the upper right corner it said it was full. Is it drop in or must you register?

  • Wholesaler · Brooklandville, MD · Member since 2013 · 149 posts · 29 votes
    13y

    dang I guess the "smaller" will do for me

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.