New Member from Washington DC

New Member from Washington DC

Washington, Washington D.C. · Member since 2012 · 5 posts · 2 votes

Hello everyone,

I have been looking through the site for the last couple of days and have found so much useful information. I have owned a SF rental in Virginia for a long time and my wife and I also have a townhouse in Washington that we are renting out. I have been wanting to acquire additional properties for quite some time and have finally got the courage to go for it! We are primarily interested in 2-4 unit M/F properties to buy and hold. We are always on the lookout here in DC, but the market is crazy here... we also have relatives in Cleveland OH and have been seriously considering trying to jump into the market there... any current NE Ohio, specifically Clevelanders who are willing to discuss the rental market prospects would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to learning a lot from this site!

2Reply
119 views

Most Popular Reply

Washington, Washington D.C. · Member since 2012 · 66 posts · 15 votes
13y

Hey Matt Dean, Ned Carey, Jason Cohen, Chris Drury, Deirdre Brown, Travis Lauchman, Leonid Sapronov and others,

So I've met with some local DC RE investors, and the consensus I've gathered is that there is a lot of interest in starting a meetup group for DC and the surrounding area. For those not familiar with Meetup.com, its a website where you organize meetings among people with similar hobbies.

This would be a group where new, inexperienced investors like me could find mentors or partnerships for their first investment, and the more experienced investors could offer advice, find partnerships, and find investment money. I would propose that the group stay true to the biggerpockets investment philosophy, offering free help without pressure to buy anything.

I am willing to organize this group but would request help from interested locals. It seems like a hotel conference room would work well, but I have no experience organizing something like this.

I am proposing that people send me their email in a colleague request, and I will setup the meetup.com group and email everyone link invites. From this we can guage the interest, and determine a good meeting ground based on how many people RSVP to a meetup. Let me know what you all think!

-Will

See this reply in the discussion

124 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y

    Christina R., and Jamaal Hunt just show up. They will have plenty of seats.

    Ned

  • Investor · Reston, VA · Member since 2013 · 85 posts · 6 votes
    13y

    What part of Baltimore is a good area that has potential?

    I'm aiming more towards DC area Penn Quarters or H street corridor but the prices are high but I'm expecting fall back soon.

  • Wholesaler · Brooklandville, MD · Member since 2013 · 149 posts · 29 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Tony Sepassi:
    What part of Baltimore is a good area that has potential?

    I'm aiming more towards DC area Penn Quarters or H street corridor but the prices are high but I'm expecting fall back soon.

    Everyone is going after the NE baltimore market. Reason being is it is a mixture of homeowners and long term renters. It doesnt hurt to hit the colleges too. Morgan, John Hopkins and Loyola. I like duplex/triplex which is why I brought up my point of small multifamily properties of 2-4.

    However Reservoir Hill is supposed to make its comeback.
    The city government is trying to revitalize Odonnell Heights (yuck) and the Remington area is getting some improvements over there. Especially since it is hot for the college market investor where JHU is walking distance.

    From what I was told DC is too saturated right now but on the real the one thing that freaks me out about Baltimore or the state of MD is LEAD PAINT LAWSUITS sighes.

  • Member since 2011 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Hey guys I'm still new to bigger pockets, on and off member for a while! I'm really interested in coming to the meet up on May 22. And learning a lot about Investing. I see that the seating is full, am I still able to attend

  • Investor · Reston, VA · Member since 2013 · 85 posts · 6 votes
    13y

    Got it! Will look up the neighborhoods tonight.
    Just read about the lead paint lawsuits in MD, crazy !

    Originally posted by Jamaal Hunt:
    Originally posted by Tony Sepassi:
    What part of Baltimore is a good area that has potential?

    I'm aiming more towards DC area Penn Quarters or H street corridor but the prices are high but I'm expecting fall back soon.

    Everyone is going after the NE baltimore market. Reason being is it is a mixture of homeowners and long term renters. It doesnt hurt to hit the colleges too. Morgan, John Hopkins and Loyola. I like duplex/triplex which is why I brought up my point of small multifamily properties of 2-4.

    However Reservoir Hill is supposed to make its comeback.
    The city government is trying to revitalize Odonnell Heights (yuck) and the Remington area is getting some improvements over there. Especially since it is hot for the college market investor where JHU is walking distance.

    From what I was told DC is too saturated right now but on the real the one thing that freaks me out about Baltimore or the state of MD is LEAD PAINT LAWSUITS sighes.

  • Investor · DMV Maryland · Member since 2013 · 867 posts · 370 votes
    13y

    Ned Carey - thanks for letting me know that. My plan is to come if my husband gets home in time to babysit. I will seek you out to intro. myself - I did get your reply PM on the other website, thanks so much. I teach and it's so crazy at work right now with the school year wrapping up that I haven't had time to call during my lunch break - which has been my plan (but I'm working through all of them lately!) I'm eating now - like for 2 minutes . . .

    if I don't make it tomorrow to the Meetup - expect a call!!

  • Northern, VA · Member since 2013 · 23 posts · 3 votes
    13y

    Hello All,

    I am looking forward to the Meetup and meeting experienced and "Newbie" REI's like myself.

  • Silver Spring, MD · Member since 2013 · 42 posts · 5 votes
    13y

    Reading through this thread for the second time has me excited for the meetup. Like a couple others have said, I don't have any real estate experience to offer, but I am eager to learn and determined to succeed.

    I'd love to hear how your careers started, more information about wholesaling, which is where my interest lies, make connections and find a mentor.

    If I'm not mistaken, the meetup has been postponed until the 29th. Jason can you verify?

  • Residential Real Estate Agent & Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2012 · 16 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    Just a reminder that the DC,MD & VA meetup is next week. More details click http://www.meetup.com/DC-MD-VA-Real-Estate-Investing-Meetup-Group/events/113423882/

  • Washington · Member since 2013 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    This is great - turning virtual into real is a great way to leverage a forum like this. Hopefully turns into something regular. Thanks to all for coordinating.

  • Occoquan, VA · Member since 2013 · 39 posts · 6 votes
    13y

    Hello everyone!
    Here's a repost from my intro post from awhile back. I just wanted to put myself out there with a little about me so you all know who I am when you see me getting involved. :)

    Please feel free to send a connect request!

    ~~
    I've been on Bigger Pockets for about a month now, and have been devouring as much great knowledge as I can. I've been educating myself on the business of real estate investing for the past year, and now I'm ready to begin to move properties.

    A little about me - I am a former Marine Corps officer (helicopter pilot) living in Northern VA (Occoquan / PW county). I work full-time as a consultant, supporting government clients in the IT (cloud analytics and cybersecurity) world.

    I've always been interested in real estate, but decided to wait until I was more stable and out of the military to do anything about it. As in anything, success depends on education. I've spent the last year aggressively educating myself by reading everything I can, taking courses, networking, and of course BiggerPockets! The podcasts are particularly useful.

    Now - I'm really looking forward to getting and remaining engaged in this community, and getting to know and work with all of you!

    To our mutual success,
    Jay

  • Wholesaler · Brooklandville, MD · Member since 2013 · 149 posts · 29 votes
    13y

    It was great and fun. I dont mind coming down again from Baltimore to talk to DC Investors.

    I went to google to "withholding 7% form" and it is Maryland Return of Income Tax Withholding for Nonresident Sale of Real Property (MW506NRS)

    Form used to determine the amount of income tax withholding due on the sale of property located in Maryland and owned by nonresidents, and provide for tax collection at the time of the sale or transfer.

    This is the "application form"
    MW506R
    Application for Tentative Refund of Withholding on Sales of Real Property by Nonresidents

    Form used to apply for a refund of the amount of tax withheld on the sale or transfer of Maryland real property interests by a nonresident individual or nonresident entity which is in excess of the transferor/seller's tax liability for the transaction.

  • David HollandPro Member
    Realtor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2013 · 91 posts · 32 votes
    13y

    Thanks for putting the meetup together Jason Cohen. It was nice meeting everyone who came. It was a good mix of people and nice to hear about different niches and markets. I look forward to the next one.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent & Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2012 · 16 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    Awesome to see everyone that came out tonight!!! I really enjoyed the conversation and look forward to building on the momentum!!!!

    I will connect everyone that joined tonight via email

    Jason

  • Vendor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2013 · 36 posts · 4 votes
    13y

    Shoot I missed it!

  • Springfield, VA · Member since 2013 · 13 posts · 1 vote
    13y
    Originally posted by Jason Cohen:
    Awesome to see everyone that came out tonight!!! I really enjoyed the conversation and look forward to building on the momentum!!!!

    I will connect everyone that joined tonight via email

    Jason

    I don't think I saw the email. Did you send it?

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y

    I will be at the BWI Meetup this Wednesday June 12 6:30 in Columbia MD

    http://www.meetup.com/BwiMeetup/events/96259442/

    This is a great group and several BP members show up. I hope I get top see some of you there. - Ned

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y

    I spoke to soon

    The BWI Meetup Wednesday June 12 is Cancelled

    A few reasons lead to this tough decision; Death of a close friend, leg injury and the speaker cancelled. But rest assured the group will be back on track next month.

  • Investor · Temple Hills, MD · Member since 2013 · 1 post · 0 votes
    13y

    Hey BP fam. Im new to the forum but have been reading post and educating myself. I am astonished on how so many people are helpful and willing to work together. My prior experience with investors in the DMV area was not pleasant. I currently have one SFH and looking to invest into a "buy in hold" an maybe a "flip." Great credit with some cash on hand not much for DC properties. I am familiar with Baltimore an have specifically found a target market. @Ned Carey from reading your blog you have a world of knowledge an would love to meet with you an other BP professionals someday.

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y

    welcome De Washington to BP. I am sure we will have a chance to connect someday. Watch this thread as local BP members use it to keep in touch for local events.

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y

    BWI Meetup in Columbia MD This Wednesday the 10ty of July. I will be there and often other BP members show up. Hope to see you there. - Ned

    BWI Columbia MD Meetup

  • Kensington, MD · Member since 2013 · 27 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    Hi, in the Montgomery County area looking to get started, would love to be part of this Meetup.

  • Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2012 · 149 posts · 33 votes
    13y

    @Frantzces Lys welcome! I used to live in MC. What's area of REI are you interested in?

    Guys, any plans for another meetup? I missed the first two, but we should try to get something together again.

  • Burke, VA · Member since 2013 · 163 posts · 63 votes
    13y

    Hi!

    My name is Roger Lin I am a fellow DMV investor. I just joined BP tonight. Would love to be part of the Meetup group.

    Roger

  • District Heights, MD · Member since 2013 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    13y
    Hello all, my name is Mark and I am also a Washingtonian who is interested in meeting new people with similar interests of investing in RE. I am also interested in learning more from anyone willing to share knowledge. A little bit about myself, I am a Firefighter in the District of Columbia and have had a passion for RE investing for quite some time now but I'm nervous about pulling the trigger. I was burned on a RE deal years ago because I just jumped in head first without any real RE education. Long story short I lost the property and have been nervous about it ever since. I have just recently got my nerve up to get back in the game. I am excited, motivated and looking forward to meeting up with a group of peers to discuss further partnerships to obtain a common goal of financial freedom. Bigger Pockets has great info and I'm glad that I am a member.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.