Help! Buying my first rental investment property!

Help! Buying my first rental investment property!

Franklin Square, NY · Member since 2019 · 32 posts · 10 votes

I’m looking to buy an investment property possibly in a college town or a short term rental  like airbnb. I was looking in Colorado around Longmont near CSU for a property to rent to college students . I would have to use a property manager as I Live in NY. If anyone can give me some advice . I’m 21 years old and have around 250k saved up and looking to start doing something with my money. Any advice on any other rentals or other states I should look into! 

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 13 votes
6y

Hello @Brandon Bonfiglio. I live in Longmont and if you are looking for a rental for students at CSU, that is in Fort Collins, which is ~45 minutes north.  Look in Fort Collins proper for a property to be used as a student rental.  Longmont has been very active in recent years, but largely due to its proximity to Boulder (SW of Longmont).  PM me if you'd like to chat more.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Greenwich, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Brandon Bonfiglio, I think you're getting ahead of yourself.

    • What are your investment goals?
    • Why did you chose Longmont, CO as a location and college rentals as an asset "class?"

    With $250 you have a lot of options. 

  • Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    Hello @Brandon Bonfiglio. I live in Longmont and if you are looking for a rental for students at CSU, that is in Fort Collins, which is ~45 minutes north.  Look in Fort Collins proper for a property to be used as a student rental.  Longmont has been very active in recent years, but largely due to its proximity to Boulder (SW of Longmont).  PM me if you'd like to chat more.

  • Lia MartinezPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 80 posts · 68 votes
    6y

    @Brandon Bonfiglio I agree with and support everything @James Beckman said. Longmont is not the place to buy student housing for CSU. I live in Denver and can also help if you have any questions about investing in Colorado.

  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Brandon Bonfiglio I live in Fort Collins and have a couple of properties I use as short-term rentals here.  There are some fairly strict short-term rental zoning requirements in Fort Collins.  I am available to chat if you have any questions.

  • Real Estate Broker · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Brandon Bonfiglio I live in the Denver area and grew up in the Northeast. There is a lot of great advice from the others who have replied related to CSU/Colorado. Another question for you since you asked about "other states", have you looked closer to your backyard? There are a lot of great college towns in the Northeast. Also, are you familiar with the house hacking strategy? It might be an approach worth looking into for your buy & hold investment (if you are not doing it already). You can find a lot of great information on BP. All the best to you!

  • Zeona McIntyrePro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Boulder, CO · Member since 2015 · 284 posts · 226 votes
    5y

    Hey @Brandon Bonfiglio, I love your excitement to get started investing and I think it's smart that you are looking to invest in what you know, which sounds like student housing. While Longmont isn't the best for CSU it can work for Boulder, but its not as direct as being in Boulder or a bit closer would be. Happy to talk to you about other markets, I invest in St Louis in their University area, live in Boulder and have 7 airbnbs. I love helping young investors get started!

  • Specialist · Longmont, CO · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 17 votes
    5y

    Hey @Brandon Bonfiglio,

    I live in Longmont and work at CU Boulder. I agree with others that Longmont is too far for CSU students but it is close enough to Boulder for CU students.

    What are your investing goals and why Colorado if you're in New York? Colorado is red hot right now but there are some college towns to invest in where your $250K will go a lot further. If you want to chat, let me know. I've been in Colorado a long time. My investments are more geared to new construction (that will become short term rentals) and land rather than buying rentals out right.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.