Newbie investor in Chicago looking for connections

Newbie investor in Chicago looking for connections

Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 0 votes

I am interested in becoming an investor.  I've been on this site for a while now and decided to introduce myself formally.  I've spent several years as a bookkeeper and currently I'm a network engineer.  I think I'm ready to transition into the buy and hold life so I can retire from the 9-5.  Any connections, meetups, good information would be great. 

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Hoffman Estates, IL · Member since 2014 · 434 posts · 185 votes
6y

Welcome! Start buying rentals TODAY!  It's a long road to quitting your job and sipping Mai Tai's on the beach

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Adam Carrington congratulations on preparing to make the jump! What area of Chicago are you in? There are a lot of fantastic meetups in the city, but obviously you want to make sure you are going to ones in your sub market. I host one in Forest Park, IL that meets the last Tuesday of the month if you are in the suburbs. 

  • Investor · Hoffman Estates, IL · Member since 2014 · 434 posts · 185 votes
    6y

    Welcome! Start buying rentals TODAY!  It's a long road to quitting your job and sipping Mai Tai's on the beach

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Adam Carrington

    You should check out biggerpocket's event's section or meetup.com to find local real estate networking events

  • Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @John Warren:

    @Adam Carrington congratulations on preparing to make the jump! What area of Chicago are you in? There are a lot of fantastic meetups in the city, but obviously you want to make sure you are going to ones in your sub market. I host one in Forest Park, IL that meets the last Tuesday of the month if you are in the suburbs. 

     Hey John.  Yes I'll definitely start attending the meetups.  I'm currently in the south loop so I don't know to much about the suburbs.  I think my girlfriend was renting a SF out there last year around Sauk Village.  I'll be looking in the southside to start off.  I've actually got a contract on a multifamily in Chatham I'm trying to close right now.

  • Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Scot Howat:

    Welcome! Start buying rentals TODAY!  It's a long road to quitting your job and sipping Mai Tai's on the beach

     I here you Scot.  I've already jumped in.  Trying to close my first one as we speak!

  • Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Basit Siddiqi:

    @Adam Carrington

    You should check out biggerpocket's event's section or meetup.com to find local real estate networking events

     Hey Basit.  Thanks I'll definitely be attending some meetups!

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Adam Carrington you should connect with @Ronan M. if you are on the south side. Ronan knows the south side very well. 

  • Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @John Warren:

    @Adam Carrington you should connect with @Ronan M. if you are on the south side. Ronan knows the south side very well. 

     Thanks John I certainly will.  I definitely will reach out to him.

  • Investor · Hoffman Estates, IL · Member since 2014 · 434 posts · 185 votes
    6y

    Way to go @Adam Carrington!!  What area are you buying in?

  • Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Scot Howat:

    Way to go @Adam Carrington!!  What area are you buying in?

     Hey Thanks @Scot Howat.  I'm buying a 3 flat in Chatham and want to finish the basement and rent that out as well.

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    Hi! I am a new investor as well looking to invest (buy and hold) in the Chicago areas (currently looking at the South Shore area, but i have others that i am researching as well), however i live in Brooklyn, NY so i definitely would like to network with folks on this forum. Adam, congrats for jumping in!!!

    John and Scot, I am also open to the areas surrounding Chicago, so any advice, networking opportunities or realtors you can recommend would be fantastic. 

    Thank you all!

    MJ

  • Specialist · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 46 posts · 19 votes
    6y

    Hey @Adam Carrington,

    I know of an excellent meetup that takes place in South Loop and another in Downers Grove that you can attend. If interested, shoot me a message and I can get you the details!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.