Newbie Investor - Joe Hawes - Temperance, MI

Newbie Investor - Joe Hawes - Temperance, MI

Temperance, MI · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes

Hello Bigger-Pockets!

I am an aspiring real estate investor just getting started in the Temperance, MI and Toledo, OH area. I'm 23 years old, work full time as a credit analyst, and also attending the University of Toledo for my MBA. I love the idea of investing in rental properties because of the passive income generation and the long term wealth building potential! To me that means the financial freedom to spend time with family and to give back to my community. 

Long term, my goal is to build up a portfolio of cash-flowing, 1-4 multifamily properties and trade up from there. Will it be apartment complexes? Commercial real estate? I don't know yet, but I'm excited to see how I grow along the way. 

Short term, i'm looking for my first property and I've locked down my financing. I am tearing through books, networking, and anything else to help prepare for the road ahead. The more I learn, the more I realize I need to learn (It's kind of a paradox). I would be very grateful for advice, especially on estimating rehab expenses, managing tenants, and....well...I guess I could use advice on everything haha. It's good to be here and I hope to meet more of the Bigger-Pocket's community soon!

0Reply
7 views

Most Popular Reply

Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
6y

@Joe Hawes

Welcome to the BP family! Great that you joined the site!

Here are some recommendations for you:

Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search/users

Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

Check out BP Podcasts: https://www.biggerpockets.com/podcast

If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select the name of that person which should appear below the comments box. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

Wishing you the best!

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2017 · 50 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Joe Hawes welcome to BP! 23 years old and thinking this way is already a huge head start IMO. Sounds like we have similar paths as I was also a credit analyst and portfolio manager for many years and I’m also investing in Toledo. I’ll be driving down there in the coming weeks if you want to try and meet up. I’ll send you my contact info through DM. Talk soon.

  • Real Estate Broker · Forney, TX · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 399 votes
    6y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets!! Nice to meet you.My biggest advice is listen to webinars and podcast. But it sounds like you are focus too. Good luck!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Brea, CA · Member since 2016 · 71 posts · 34 votes
    6y

    Hello Joe, send me a private post and I can get you a couple of people to get in contact with you. 

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @Joe Hawes

    Welcome to the BP family! Great that you joined the site!

    Here are some recommendations for you:

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search/users

    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

    Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

    Check out BP Podcasts: https://www.biggerpockets.com/podcast

    If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select the name of that person which should appear below the comments box. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

    Wishing you the best!

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2016 · 425 posts · 184 votes
    6y

    Welcome.  It's a nice area to invest in from my experience.  I pretty local to the area, and very familiar, so if you want to talk, let's do it.  I have some investments there.  

  • Temperance, MI · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Zachary Metler Thanks for reaching out!

  • Temperance, MI · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Anthoney Hanks Thank you! I listen to the BP podcast religiously, but could definitely stand to learn from the webinars too!

  • Temperance, MI · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Dmitriy Fomichenko Thank you for all of the tips! I'll be sure to setup the keyword alerts and browse the user list as well.

  • Temperance, MI · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Christopher B. I could always use more local knowledge. I'll message you more information, thank you for your time!

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooke Park Drive · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Get a duplex near UT live in upper rent the lower. Rent should cover PITI on the whole building.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.