New investor in Lexington, Kentucky!

New investor in Lexington, Kentucky!

New to Real Estate · Lexington, KY · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 3 votes

Hey everyone!

I'm Sam Moher, an aspiring investor located in central Kentucky, specifically in Lexington. I was born and raised here, but I've lived out of state a couple of times, once in Los Angeles and once in the Tampa Bay area. 

I primarily work as a software/web developer for Kentucky Educational Television (KET), the largest public television station network in the nation! I also work as a bartender in the evenings. Just about every dime I make goes first towards saving for investment capital as well as debt pay down (relatively minimal, phew!).

I've bought a few of the BP published books, listen to the BP podcast fairly regularly and recently upgraded to a Pro membership. I stumbled onto BP and the idea of REI when I decided I have no intentions of living out my most productive years making money for someone else. Developing multiple streams of income and passive income through REI will allow me to do what I really want in life.

For now my goal is to keep socking away money until I find a great first deal, then the sky is the limit. I would love to invest locally in the central Kentucky region, or in the Cincinnati region to start, then move into other markets as well. Ultimately I am going to develop a portfolio large enough to net me $10,000+ in income per month. I know this is more than achievable after even just a few days of reading in the forums here.

I hope to utilize BP to meet like-minded individuals, learn from those more experienced than myself (almost everyone!), network, and maybe even find some people to partner up with in the future!

Best wishes to everyone and glad to be on here!

2Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Lexington, KY · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 21 votes
6y

Sam, welcome from Lexington. Really exciting for you to be at this point. I think being in Lexington it makes sense to invest here rather than looking further away. The inability of Lexington to expand outward (it's constrained by all the horse farms on the outskirts of Fayette County), makes it a safe bet that property values won't be falling in the future, as there's a finite amount of land available for expansion.

I know it's last minute, but you might want to check this out tonight. 

https://www.facebook.com/events/434229510822522/


See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • James WilcoxBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Bowling Green KY ~ Lexington, KY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
    6y

    @Sam Moher welcome to REI and the BP community! It is always good to see another Pro member face from the bluegrass state. Seems you are well on your way and definitely use the resources BP has provided to accelerate your success. We also have a local meet up that I encourage you to attend. We provide you will great opportunities to grow your local network and learn more about all facets of REI. You can always the events on the BP events page. You are also welcome to reach out to me anytime and I can do what I can to help you on your REI journey.

    REI James w/ eXp Realty54 Reviews
  • Investor · Lexington, KY · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 21 votes
    6y

    Sam, welcome from Lexington. Really exciting for you to be at this point. I think being in Lexington it makes sense to invest here rather than looking further away. The inability of Lexington to expand outward (it's constrained by all the horse farms on the outskirts of Fayette County), makes it a safe bet that property values won't be falling in the future, as there's a finite amount of land available for expansion.

    I know it's last minute, but you might want to check this out tonight. 

    https://www.facebook.com/events/434229510822522/


  • Chula Vista, CA · Member since 2017 · 195 posts · 104 votes
    6y

    @Sam Moher

    Welcome Sam. You and I have similar goals although I am investing from OOS so you have a great advantage there. Happy to help in any way I can as I love talking about this stuff.

    Andrew

  • New to Real Estate · Lexington, KY · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @James Wilcox Hey again! So there’s an events page on BP specifically for the Lexington area meetup? Or where can I find more on that? Thanks!

  • New to Real Estate · Lexington, KY · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Harry Standafer the point you make about property values remaining stable due to lack of expansion is encouraging! At the same time Does that create more competition than normal? Thanks for the invite but I’m working already!

  • New to Real Estate · Lexington, KY · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Andrew Kougl Thanks! So are you investing in Ky while living in California? Or did you mean other states?

  • Chula Vista, CA · Member since 2017 · 195 posts · 104 votes
    6y

    @Sam Moher investing in Kentucky, Lexington area specifically while living in the ridiculously expensive state of California, yes

  • New to Real Estate · Lexington, KY · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Andrew Kougl I lived in Koreatown in LA for a year. Long enough to know the struggle! What made you choose Lexington for investing?

  • New to Real Estate · Lexington, KY · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Aaron Belt Thanks! I’m looking forward to my first property and then many more after that. Best of wishes to you in your endeavors as well!

  • Rental Property Investor · Indiana...mostly · Member since 2019 · 468 posts · 245 votes
    6y

    Welcome!

  • New to Real Estate · Lexington, KY · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Scott P. Thanks! How are things in Indiana?

  • James WilcoxBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Bowling Green KY ~ Lexington, KY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
    6y

    @Sam Moher https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521-events-and-happenings

    Events section on BP site. See link. Look for the Lex holiday party. Differs every month. When you come find me and I will give you more details about the group and market.

    REI James w/ eXp Realty54 Reviews
  • New to Real Estate · Lexington, KY · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @James Wilcox I'll see you next week then. Looking forward to it!

  • Investor · Lexington, KY · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Sam Moher that's awesome. 2019 was my first year in KY (and as an investor). Was able to close on 3 properties this year. 100% come to the meetups James mentioned. I met a lot of people there that have helped me out. Best of luck!

  • New to Real Estate · Lexington, KY · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Account Closed Sounds like a good first year! I've already gotten my request off for that evening in so I should be there. Looking forward to meeting you all!

  • Rental Property Investor · Indiana...mostly · Member since 2019 · 468 posts · 245 votes
    6y

    In my small areas of Indiana it's a good time to sell - if you'd like to pay capital gains taxes and no longer own a property or two - ....not such a good time to buy or build.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.