New To Real Estate - Use The BiggerPockets Glossary!

57 Replies

This post has been removed.

This post has been removed.

@Chris Mason just entering my 2nd year as a Realtor and investor. I appreciate the distinction you made. I did not understand the great difference until I became a professional in the industry, which led me to go a step further and join NAR.

Thanks for the feedback Courtney! It has been added to the glossary. Look out in the next couple of months to another iteration of the glossary where we will be building out full pages for each term that go more in depth! 

Thanks for recommending this! Already have used this and as a newcomer, there's a lot of value in referencing this daily to become more familiar with the common terms. 

I have read much about viewing comps when researching a property. what exactly are comps and where do you go to "view" comps for an area you are researching a property in?

Hi @Todd Ayers Here is the definition from our new glossary "This is an examination of the prices of different properties within the same area as the property a buyer is considering for purchase. Real estate agents perform this analysis to determine an accurate listing price."

Essentially, your real estate agent should provide you with "comparable" properties in the same area, it basically is another way to know that you are getting a good deal but looking at similar properties. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here