Introducing myself. Wilmington, NC Designer to Invest and learn

Introducing myself. Wilmington, NC Designer to Invest and learn

Member since 2020 路 4 posts 路 0 votes

Good morning,

I'm a few days overdue introducing myself on BP.  I have been listening to the podcasts and reading up on the UBG and it's time to say hello and let the vast BP world know I'm here.

I am just getting started with RE investing.  I have not completed any transactions- but my local market is so hot at the moment.  I'm 36 years old, single, and renting...

My experience in the industry in reverse chronological order:

I have been working as a designer and project manager here in Wilmington NC for two years for a very small company.  This experience gave me the opportunity to build a network of not just subcontractors but also project managing peers and builders.  I also have at least one contact in all of the local utility and government offices, I have most of the building inspectors already saved in my phone and if I were to need any additional contacts there is a list of people that know me professionally I could call to ferret out said contact.

With this stage set I'll say that I was recently laid off from my job.  The company downsized, which was disappointing as I felt I was just hitting my stride having built the above described network, with all of my clients happy with progress and subcontractors that would prioritize working for me over other work because of my means to move projects forward without yelling at anybody 馃槀

Over the past few years I have taken the real estate classes for both NC and SC passed the tests but changes in plans kept me from pursuing Real Estate Brokerage as a direct career.  I did act as the sellers agent for my parent's house here in the historic downtown area of Wilmington.  

Having changed tracks several times since then, it is my full intention to take the NC RE class again and actually get an active brokers license.  I would also like to get my General Contractors License over the next year as well.  Both licenses would enable me to cover more aspects of the RE-investing ball o' wax.

I have some hands on experience building houses as a laborer working for other builders.  I have installed floors, wired fixtures, mixed and poured concrete, installed roofing material, cut tile, installed siding and more.  I am not an expert at any of these things, but working on projects with experienced contractors has taught me a lot about construction methods, but more so taught me about how professionals operate in the biz.

I have also attended architecture school at UNC- Charlotte.  Full disclosure I have one more class to take to finish my actual degree.  But five years of living and breathing design has taught me so much- including many things I use all the time as a designer and project manager.

That's the bulk of my experience outlined; I have for a long time known that property management and investing is the direction I wanted to take my career, and all these years I keep swinging back to residential management and wealth building, reminding myself again and again that it is right up my alley to pursue (and I'm not getting any younger).

Now, having been laid off on NYE, it seemed appropriate to take this time to build my business.

I don't have any savings to bring to the table (one of the problems with the last job was low pay for the level of work I was completing).  I have my experience working with my network and now the ability to bring fulltime work ethic and time dedication to ensuring success.

I have been building my business plan with the goal of drumming up private investment or partnering with somebody that has the cash to get started.  I have done some independent market research for three neighborhoods in town that are close to where I live and I expect to grow and increase value over the next ten years.

Wilmington is of a certain size and is experiencing a boon in demand.  There is also a shortage of affordable housing, rents are very high, but there are still many houses that are available and even more that are ripe for equity building via additions/renovations.

I know my introduction is pretty long- but I've wanted to show that I have the foundation to build a successful business in a market that is uniquely positioned for the economic question marks that the next few years hold.  This starting stuff is what I could really use some guidance with.  What I always tell my subcontractors:  I may be in charge, but I'm not an expert and we all need help to accomplish our shared goals sometimes, so I will work to get all the advice possible and rely on all the many people around me that know so much more than I do.

Please reach out if you are curious for more detail.  I have been working hard to structure in theory a few paths to move forward in this brief time I've had since getting laid off.  My main goal is to move upward, as opposed to laterally, during this transition.

I am also not historically a forum-posting type of person, but am willing to jump into new things (especially considering the marvelous resource I've recently discovered in Bigger Pockets)

THANKS!

Andrew

0Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker 路 Wilmington, NC 路 Member since 2017 路 34 posts 路 25 votes
6y

@Andrew Politte

Welcome Andrew! I鈥檓 also in the Wilmington area. A great place to start is to attend the BP meetups that are held every first Tuesday of the month now at waterline brewery. It鈥檚 a nice informal way to connect with like minded investors both new and experienced.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker 路 Wilmington, NC 路 Member since 2017 路 34 posts 路 25 votes
    6y

    @Andrew Politte

    Welcome Andrew! I鈥檓 also in the Wilmington area. A great place to start is to attend the BP meetups that are held every first Tuesday of the month now at waterline brewery. It鈥檚 a nice informal way to connect with like minded investors both new and experienced.

  • Member since 2020 路 4 posts 路 0 votes
    6y

    Nice! Yeah I will definitely do that! I'm a big fan of waterline brewery too! It's an easy bike ride from where I live (near goat and compass) thanks Oliver! What time does that usually happen?

  • Real Estate Broker 路 Wilmington, NC 路 Member since 2019 路 18 posts 路 4 votes
    6y

    Hi Andrew,

    Welcome! I am fairly new to this platform as well and live in Wilmington. I am a RE agent with Intracoastal Realty (also fairly new) and have one rental property in Va. Beach that I have had for 26 years. Look forward to meeting you. 

  • Real Estate Broker 路 Wilmington, NC 路 Member since 2017 路 34 posts 路 25 votes
    6y
  • Rental Property Investor 路 Wilmington, NC 路 Member since 2016 路 19 posts 路 9 votes
    6y

    Hey Andrew, 

    I love Wilmington and I believe its a great market to invest in. 

    I no longer live there but I still invest there from OOS. I am in the middle of BRRR and in the refi stage of a SF Rental I purchased in the Ogden area. I invest anywhere from Sneads Ferry to Wilmington. If you have any questions, I'm happy to help.

    I'm always looking for deals in the area and they are not easy to find. But there are always deals, you just need to constantly be looking so that when one does come up, you can be the first to jump on the deal. 

    Off market deals are probably your best bet so connections are really important. Since I am no longer there and I dont have many connections, I like to look at auction properties. 

    Good Luck man!

  • Member since 2020 路 4 posts 路 0 votes
    6y

    That's great I really appreciate it!

    I haven't been directly tapped into the RE world here for a while, only have a read on the pulse because I was considering buying my own first home this past year- so I was acutely focused on areas of Wilmington I'd personally like to live. I considered taking the FHA route.

    Since I have the project managing experience my sights were set on a two bedroom one bath that I could make a three bedroom two bath down the road.

    Now taking this to a business level vs personal level- that's the basic backbone of the business.

    I can do the drawings, have experience with the individuals that handle permitting, and the process, and then can directly reach out to subcontractors as the owner of the property to facilitate the rehab and/or addition.

    My own research has led me to believe that rental rates (I also have personal experience with these) and low vacancy due to over demand should prop up this model effectively.  The key is making the property desirable enough and priced for the best types of tenants.

    I'm crunching lots of numbers and getting my head around a lot at the moment as I learn more, but the core of the model hasn't really changed since I conceived of it.

    Obviously finding cash is the big looming missing piece right now (although I'm sure there are lots of missing pieces).

    Thanks, I look forward to meeting all of you locals!

  • Rich McElaneyPro Member
    Rental Property Investor 路 Carolina Beach, NC 路 Member since 2015 路 30 posts 路 17 votes
    6y

    Welcome to BP Andrew! You have a really interesting experience base that should help propel you out of the investing gate!

    I second @Oliver Evans ' comments about the Tuesday night meetup - I just relocated here from Annapolis MD and have found the group to be friendly, diverse in interests and very willing to help. Attending the meetups has helped me build out my contact base and get an education on the investment lay of the land in Wilmington.

    The Coastal Real Estate Investors Association (Coastal REIA) is another good group to check out - you can find their information at coastalreia.org.

    If you'd like to connect for coffee or a beer prior to the next meetup, DM me. Otherwise, welcome and look forward to seeing you at the meetups!

    Rich 

  • Member since 2020 路 4 posts 路 0 votes
    6y

    Thanks Rich, I was planning on hitting up a local REIA group will check them out- thanks for the lead.

    I've skimped on the full details of my experience base, I also worked a summer in school with a commercial general contractor, that was early in adulthood and I knew nothing but learned so much.

    I'm very comfortable with my knowledge of design and construction, most importantly knowing that there is so much left to learn.

    I'm looking forward to working on projects where I am actually the client, designer builder and project manager, and then being a fair landlord is actually such a powerful motivator.

    I personally believe there is a service element to real estate investment if done a certain way, providing needed housing that is built to a standard really helps people.

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Fort Lauderdale, FL 路 Member since 2019 路 37 posts 路 17 votes
    6y

    Welcome @Andrew Politte. Nice to e-meet you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.