New to Real Estate · Boston · Member since 2020 · 26 posts · 2 votes
Hi all!
My name is Nate and I am 17 years old from Boston. I just found out about the glory of passive income in late 2019, knowing that I did not want to live my whole life at a corporate job. I got started with the stock market, hoping to have sustainable cash flow over time. I soon found out that dividend investing, though great and certainly possible, couldn't generate the cash flow I wanted being so young and having little access to capital. I then stumbled upon Brandon Turner's Rental Property Investingbook, and I immediately fell in love with Real Estate. Soon after, I discovered that house hacking could potentially generate the cash flow I was looking for, even with little money down.
I wish to connect with some people who perhaps started out young and have some experience with house hacking(especially in expensive markets). I hope to graduate from college with a Business degree in 2024, and start to house hack my way to financial freedom then!
Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y
@Nate Hubley Great seeing young people here! :) I am 40 now, but I bought my first home at 23 and lived in it with a couple of roommates. I kept it as a rental property when I moved and started collecting homes from there. Not sure how your parents feel about investing, but my dad had offered to buy me a house while I was in college when I was 17 so I could house hack it with some roommates. At the time, it sounded like too much work to take care of a house, so I turned him down. HUGE REGRET!
Congrats
to you for your ambition! I am willing to help you out with some advice
or even chat on the phone if you wish. But I recommend you read this
article I wrote for Bigger Pockets titled How to Invest in Real Estate Before Turning 21. Once you've read it, let me know your thoughts and if you have any questions. I also recommend you read the book The House Hacking Strategy by @Craig Curelop. Best of luck and hope to chat soon! https://www.biggerpockets.com/...
New to Real Estate · Boston · Member since 2020 · 26 posts · 2 votes
6y
@Dawn Brenengen Thanks for sharing! My parents were landlords in the past with a few condos, but they didn’t go too far into RE after that. They encourage me to get into it, but just warn me about the horrors that they had to endure as landlords.
New to Real Estate · Boston · Member since 2020 · 26 posts · 2 votes
6y
@Dan Sheeks
Thanks for your support!
I just read the article you recommended and I am happy to say that in terms of what I should do, I am following that path! I actually just finished Craig’s house hacking book, and I have listened to every podcast with him in it. The comfortability vs profitability is certainly interesting and something I am going to consider as I start to house hack.
It would be great to talk sometime over the phone or via text more about what you know and what you advise others to do in more depth around my age(I don’t know if there is a way to direct message you my # on BP). I have plenty of questions that would be too extensive to type on here!