New member from Russia

New member from Russia

Ludington, MI · Member since 2013 · 29 posts · 4 votes

Hello! My name is Elizaveta, but feel free to call me Elizabeth. I am from Russia, just moved to Ludington Michigan a year ago.
Here is a little of my story:
I have master's degree in finance and degree in English-Russian translation. As I have just finished college, I have 0 experiense, especialy in another country. So I am doing my best to educate myself by reading lots of books, blogs and forums.
And this is how I appeared here:
At the book store I saw (of course) "Rich dad, poor dad", that I've heard about from my friend in Russia. I loved it, that's how I found Brandon Turner's blog. And Brandon led me here. THANK YOU BRANDON FOR THAT!!!!!
I've been studying about real estate investing for 6 months now. I'm interested in Grand Rapids area mostly. I absolutely love Biggerpockets!!! I can't believe that so many people like helping newbies to reach there goals. Thank you all for that!!! And thank you Joshua Dorkin for creating all this!

0Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
13y

Lizaveta,

Can you change your profile pic. It's way too distracting. And makes what you typed very hard to read. At least for my shallow mind.

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2012 · 149 posts · 33 votes
    13y

    Hello from a fellow Russian :-)

    I'm in a similar boat as you, just starting out. What really helped me (besides reading all the material you mentioned) is meeting with local investors and others interested in RE. It's super easy to do with the help of biggerpockets and meetup.com. If you attend an REI meetup, you'll most likely see people going "Ok, I have the following deal... how should I handle it?" or "I have the following properties that I'm trying to wholesale, who wants them?" Psychologically, it's a big boost because you'll see relatively "green" people sitting right next to you asking all the dumb questions you were afraid to ask :-) At the same time, you'll have access to people who move $$$ and can, potentially, offer you a partnership or advice/mentorship. Not to sounds cynical, but people are a resource like any other, USE THEM! And give back when you can :-) That's what boggles the mind about biggerpockets - people whose time is extremely valuable and scarce still find the time to contribute... for free.
    Also, maybe you already started doing that, but if not - get your boots on the ground and start visiting areas you are considering investing in. This can be extremely educational. Or find an RE agent and drive around together.

    Good luck!

  • Ludington, MI · Member since 2013 · 29 posts · 4 votes
    13y

    Hello Leonid!!! I was absolutely amazed that busy people spend their time to help those who just start! What I don't undestand is how they can seat all together at the table discussing deals and not thinking about competition? Or they just don't steal each others potential properties?

  • Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2012 · 149 posts · 33 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Elizaveta Voloboeva:
    Hello Leonid!!! I was absolutely amazed that busy people spend their time to help those who just start! What I don't undestand is how they can seat all together at the table discussing deals and not thinking about competition? Or they just don't steal each others potential properties?

    Well, some of them probably do think about the competition, which is not necessarily bad. But from what I've seen, the atmosphere is very cordial, open and laid back. The way I see it, there are several reasons:

    1) There is actually very little direct competition there. You have 2 wholesalers, 3 flippers, 4 newbs who are just there to learn, some buy and hold people, maybe a couple of serious investors who deal with hedge funds and, say, a guy who invests in notes. Some people may come from far away and most of them operate in different neighborhoods/towns/counties. But even if you look at people who invest in the same area, having all those people in the room is actually very advantageous for everyone. They have deals, properties, and services to offer each other. Very convenient.

    2) The mindset. I went in there looking to learn. The impression I got is that others go there either to learn or to find partners they can collaborate with. Again, it's a very constructive atmosphere. You feel like you are part of a proactive group that's competing with those on the *outside*. This sense of belonging to a group (very fundamental to human nature) plays a large role.

    3) The group I joined wasn't trying to sell anything and it was small. This puts people at ease.

    There probably are groups out there that are different, who knows. Just try a couple and you'll find out for yourself. It's kind of hard to explain :-)

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Elizaveta Voloboeva:
    Hello Leonid!!! I was absolutely amazed that busy people spend their time to help those who just start! What I don't undestand is how they can seat all together at the table discussing deals and not thinking about competition? Or they just don't steal each others potential properties?

    Elizaveta VoloboevaThis is a very difficult perspective for new players to understand, and makes for excellent discussion. We work together. We offer value to one another’s life – how boring would it be otherwise. There are more deals out there than I or anyone can handle at one time. There is more than enough money with which to operate if you know where and how to look. The truly successful people see a world of abundance, not one of scarcity. I’ll go a step further – you must learn to see the world this way of you will be successful!!!

    This is not about competition. It is about synergy…Energy breeds energy. The more I can help people, the more positive energy will come my way kind of thing

    Leonid Sapronov privet. Nice to see you here on BP!

  • Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2012 · 149 posts · 33 votes
    13y

    Ben Leybovich Hi Ben! I wanted to use the word synergy, but you beat me to it :-)

    Elizaveta Voloboeva I absolutely agree with Ben that even though it may seem like investor activity is increasing, especially in certain markets, there's more than enough houses and money to go around. You know why? Because 90% of that "activity" doesn't lead to anything - there are relatively few people who pull the trigger and actually buy something. I know, because I am one of those people, haha. Hopefully, not for long.

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y

    Elizaveta Voloboeva When I was new I went to a school that taught real estate investing. I wondered how over many years how much they would be increasing their competition. I learned two things

    1) Most of their students (and that of all REI instructors) never do a deal.

    2) They got a tremendous number of deals through partnering with their students.

    By Sharing what I know, it has brought to me the opportunity to partner with may people. My business has grown tremendously since I started partnering.

    The advice from Leonid Sapronov is right on.

  • Ludington, MI · Member since 2013 · 29 posts · 4 votes
    13y

    Thank you Leonid for you reply! It sounds very inspiring!
    Thank you Ben!!
    Thankyuo Ned! I guess I'm going to find such meetings, it sounds pretty interesting!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.