Newbie introduction from Salt Lake City, Utah

Newbie introduction from Salt Lake City, Utah

New to Real Estate · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 1 vote

Hey everyone, 

I'm a new investor living in SLC, Utah looking to create cash flow through long term rentals. My husband and I have purchased two personal homes over the years, and even been long distance landlords due to a move, which has taken the edge off diving into buying a home. I have been devouring the BP podcasts at 1.5 speed (and totally loving them)! 

My plan is to purchase at least one multi-family unit (2-4 doors) by the end of 2020. Although we are handy, I'd love to not have to perform too much work on the property for my first one. 

I'd love to connect with anyone investing in the Salt Lake Valley area, and I've been looking in Michigan for properties as well as SLC prices are a little steep for my current budget. 


Cheers!

1Reply
34 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor/Developer · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2015 · 207 posts · 106 votes
    6y

    @Leanna West, Welcome to BP! I occasionally come across multifamily deals, since i'm a landlord myself. Feel free to connect!

  • Rental Property Investor · Ogden, UT · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    Hey @Leanna West, welcome! That sounds like a pretty solid plan. I just bought a SFR with a mother-in-law apartment in Ogden since it was a bit cheaper than the normal small multifamily prices. It seems like the deals are there as long as you keep checking.

  • Realtor · Ogden, UT · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Leanna West

    Hey Leanna! I'm a Realtor local to SLC and I am always on the lookout for cash flow flips! Feel free to DM me and we can chat about your goals. Maybe I can find something for you!

  • Real Estate Agent · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 112 votes
    6y

    Hey @Leanna West Welcome! Like others have said, Ogden is a bit cheaper and has good decent cash flow still. There are some other deals to be had in SLC, just have to look harder. I am a realtor (seems like everyone is) I own a duplex in Ogden and the cashflow has been good and so has the appreciation. I am thinking about selling though to move up to a larger property, but its hard to let go of a good rental! 

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    Hello @Leanna West ! Welcome aboard!

    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

    Wishing you the best!

  • Realtor · Minneapolis MN · Member since 2018 · 84 posts · 61 votes
    6y

    Hi Leanna, welcome to the forums. Do you still have the properties you and your husband bought? Where are they located? Are you looking to sell any of these to help purchase your next one? As mentioned above, Ogden is a solid option if you're looking to cash flow. Salt Lake City is a bit harder to find cash flowing multi family as everyone is looking for them at entry level.

  • Developer · SLC, UT · Member since 2013 · 50 posts · 35 votes
    6y

    @Leanna West

    Welcome to SLC! It’s a beautiful place to create a life.

    I primarily invest in multi family and commercial in SLC. If I can be of assistance, let me know.

  • New to Real Estate · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Thank you to all for such a warm welcome! I'm still learning how to use this platform, but appreciate the solid Ogden beta and will start my searches there. I've sold one of our homes (was located in COS, CO) and the other is our primary residence. We do Airbnb the basement though, and that has been a mega house hack! 

    Looking forward to connecting with everyone more!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.