New member / investor New York, NY

New member / investor New York, NY

Keith GhionPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Newark, DE · Member since 2013 · 45 posts · 11 votes

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say hello. I'm a newbie in NYC who's been interested in getting into the real estate investment field for some time but just lacked the knowledge to do so. I'm in the entertainment business running my own talent agency and I'm looking to diversify income streams. I'm married with a little one on the way, wife and I are looking at buying our first house this fall (am I crazy to want to get into investing now?!?). I happened upon BiggerPockets via Fatwallet forms and Mr. Moneymoustache and I'm gaining confidence daily that I could actually do this.

I've got a lot of learning to do, I'm making my way through the Ultimate Beginners Guide. My biggest weakness (among many at this point hah) is the math behind the deals so I plan to take the next several weeks and learn as much as possible about that and go from there.

Open to any good REI clubs in the city, I've found one or two that I'm looking more into but if anyone has a good suggestion I'm all ears. Look forward to engaging folks more in the coming months.

0Reply
9 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    13y

    Welcome to BP Nation, great to have you. Stay active on the site, it is your best resource for education in RE.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Hey Keith Ghion welcome to BiggerPockets! Glad that MrMoneyMustache brought you over! I like that guy!

    For a quick math tutorial, you may wanna check out my video on quickly analyzing an investment property here.

    Let me know how I can help in any ways! And that's cool you run a talent agency. I have no talent, but if I did I'd be calling you! :) What kind of "talent" do you work with? Actors, music, etc?

    Also, the BiggerPockets founder Joshua Dorkin is from your area originally in New York as well.

  • Keith GhionPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Newark, DE · Member since 2013 · 45 posts · 11 votes
    13y

    Thanks Brandon Turner! I'll definitely check out the video, I've been playing around with listing book a bit just to see if I can run some scenario's just for practice, but if you have any resources to suggest that make for good practice examples that would be great too.

    I rep mostly live theatrical tours, jazz and world music. We tour them in performing arts centers across the country, music festivals and clubs, so at least one thing I bring to the real estate table is negotiation skills :) I'm sure I'll be picking your Will Barnard and Joshua Dorkin's brains a bit. Really appreciate how welcoming the board is.

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    13y

    Welcome

  • Keith GhionPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Newark, DE · Member since 2013 · 45 posts · 11 votes
    13y

    Well first real estate meetup was a cleverly disguised pitch for a $14k class. Wonderful. On to the next one and hopefully a better filter on my end to find legit meetups.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.