Starting Non-US investor

Starting Non-US investor

Michael M.Pro Member
Amsterdam 路 Member since 2020 路 4 posts 路 1 vote

Hi, My name is Michael from Amsterdam (the Netherlands). I want to start investing in the US (e.g. OH; MO; MI) on a small scale.

I'm looking for reliable partners/ guides to represent me locally( regarding Tax, legal, investing; realtor; lending; construction; etc.).

The first hurdle is forming the LLC. Any recommandations on a good Taxadvisor who has experience with overseas investors and knows what the best structure is for my business? Thanks in advance.

1Reply
46 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor 路 North Palm Beach, FL 路 Member since 2018 路 2k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Michael M.

    Great to have you here! I have a couple partners that are based outside of the US and they work with an attorney and accountant that specializes in working with international investors. DM me and we can get on a call.

  • Michael M.Pro Member
    OP
    Amsterdam 路 Member since 2020 路 4 posts 路 1 vote
    5y

    Thanks Charles, I dropped my contactdetails on your site.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Utrecht, Netherlands 路 Member since 2016 路 21 posts 路 11 votes
    5y

    @Michael Maartens Goedenavond, Michael. I'm Natasha, from the US, but living in Utrecht! 馃檪 I'm also starting to invest in the US this year (MO to be more specific), and interested in partnering as well. Maybe we could have a chat? I will send you a PM.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Utrecht, Netherlands 路 Member since 2016 路 21 posts 路 11 votes
    5y

    @Charles Carillo I would be interested as well, as I am in a similar situation.

    Thanks,

    Natasha

  • Michael M.Pro Member
    OP
    Amsterdam 路 Member since 2020 路 4 posts 路 1 vote
    5y

    @Account Closed, looking forward to your PM.

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant 路 New York, NY 路 Member since 2015 路 8k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Michael M.

    Do you have an ITIN(individual taxpayer identification number)? You may need one before you can start investing in the US.

    You may want to read through the Netherlands/Amsterdam - United States tax treaty to better understand how your tax situation will go.

    On an annual basis, you will be required to file a US tax return along with OH, MO and MI state tax returns.
    You may want to consider speaking with an estate attorney to see what happens to your assets in the US in the event that you pass away.
    You may be subject to FIRPTA(Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act) when you dispose of the real estate.

    Good luck to your investments in the US!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.