Jacksonville Here I Come! New Investor

Jacksonville Here I Come! New Investor

Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2021 · 76 posts · 67 votes

My name's Blake and I'm a RN in Santa Barbara, CA who started learning about real estate 8 days ago! Since then I have decided my next career will be Real Estate Investing which has felt so good to say! Since I have a large amount of student loan debt between my wife and I, I decided I would look at markets outside CA that will cash flow. The book Long Distance Investing by David Greene made me believe it's possible and i've officially began my journey as an investor. Researched multiple markets and decided on Jacksonville (for specific reasons), and contacted my 2nd agent today. Getting leads tomorrow which I look forward to analyzing and got a PM, lender, and contractor recommendation through the agent. I did all this while working full time and watching my 3 yr old daughter on off days, if I can do it so can you! Thank you Biggerpockets community and if anyone has recommendations for PM's, lenders, contractors for JAX it would be greatly appreciated!

5Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Baird KingPro Member
Investor · Santa Barbara & Ventura · Member since 2020 · 227 posts · 65 votes
5y

Welcome to the Real Estate world Blake.  We have monthly meetups here in Santa Barbara if you are interested in joining. I just posted the next one for September here:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

Hope to see you there.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Santa Ana, CA · Member since 2021 · 13 posts · 20 votes
    5y

    Awesome start Blake way to dive right in! Im also a CA investor looking to begin building a portfolio out of state, currently just practicing analyzing deals, reading everything i can, and still trying to decide the right market for my financial goals. Sounds like you are off to a good start and i wish you the best of luck!

  • Lender · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2021 · 20 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Blake Henderson

    Hey Blake, emailed you earlier today!

  • Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2021 · 76 posts · 67 votes
    5y

    @Nick Terrano i saw and thank you sir! Haven't forgot about you and will respond. Look forward to speaking to you

  • Baird KingPro Member
    Investor · Santa Barbara & Ventura · Member since 2020 · 227 posts · 65 votes
    5y

    Welcome to the Real Estate world Blake.  We have monthly meetups here in Santa Barbara if you are interested in joining. I just posted the next one for September here:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

    Hope to see you there.

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2020 · 113 posts · 25 votes
    5y

    @Blake Henderson I just ordered this book, and was also looking at Jacksonville. Why did you choose that market and what's your strategy?

  • Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2021 · 76 posts · 67 votes
    5y

    @baird king I have that day off and can join at Topa Topa. Thx for the invite! Is there somewhere I can find future meetings scheduled in SB?

  • Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2021 · 76 posts · 67 votes
    5y

    @Sam Sala that book changed everything for me and I hope it does for you as well! I chose JAX after watching a pro webinar on long distance investing that explained what to look for when analyzing a market to invest in. Factors included: Rent growth, rent-to-income ratio, income growth, rent-to-price ratio, appreciation, and tax rate. Jax is a "Hybrid" market that has good CoC returns and potential for growing appreciation. This along with its high income growth and rent-to- price ratio was enough for me to dig deeper. I Google mapped Jax and saw that it has an airport and Mayo Clinics. Being a RN myself I thought i'd look at areas near big hospitals/ clinics because they're higher paying jobs and mostly good tenants. Picked the agents brain about locations they recommended and have an idea where to look. I'm looking for cash flow properties that are in no or low crime areas, near large industry corporations with growth potential. Single family or multi family since it'll be my first purchase.

  • Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2021 · 76 posts · 67 votes
    5y

    @Baird King I have that day off and am planning on attending, thanks! It's there somewhere I can find future scheduled meetings in SB

  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Hi Blake, welcome to the community! There is a great group of members on here to connect with.

  • Real Estate Broker · Forney, TX · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 399 votes
    5y

    @Blake H., Welcome to the BP community! Wishing you success as you reach your goals! 

  • Justin WindhamPro Member
    Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Blake H.

    It’s nice to have you on Bigger Pockets!

    Make sure you check out all that this site has to offer. You will be able to get answers to so many of your questions regarding real estate investing, wholesaling, flipping, rentals, lending, self-directed IRA and Solo 401k investing, or tax and legal guidance from many of the knowledgeable members. Take advantage of the networking opportunities and best wishes to you.

    There are a few self-contained guides that you can access here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/guides


    Alerts can be really helpful too: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

  • Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2021 · 76 posts · 67 votes
    5y

    @Justin Windham very helpful thanks so much! Just created my first alert. Really appreciate you taking the time to help out

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Blake H.:

    My name's Blake and I'm a RN in Santa Barbara, CA who started learning about real estate 8 days ago! Since then I have decided my next career will be Real Estate Investing which has felt so good to say! Since I have a large amount of student loan debt between my wife and I, I decided I would look at markets outside CA that will cash flow. The book Long Distance Investing by David Greene made me believe it's possible and i've officially began my journey as an investor. Researched multiple markets and decided on Jacksonville (for specific reasons), and contacted my 2nd agent today. Getting leads tomorrow which I look forward to analyzing and got a PM, lender, and contractor recommendation through the agent. I did all this while working full time and watching my 3 yr old daughter on off days, if I can do it so can you! Thank you Biggerpockets community and if anyone has recommendations for PM's, lenders, contractors for JAX it would be greatly appreciated!

    You are in the right place Blake!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.